Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A2Rob

Rusty Drill - A Scythe Themed Community Project (Slots Filled?) Public Beta Available (10/11/24)

Posted (edited)

1103612368_Screenshot2024-03-30180835.png.59e000a471382ffde4dc456c91884f3b.pngNot sure if I'll be able to finish the map by the date, however some progress has been made. And by some I mean really not that much because (major depressive disorder) and what have ya. Anyways, here's a wireframe.

Posted (edited)

Hopefully this doesn't suck/isn't too hard:

Map name: Turf Minor

Map author: 4shockblast

Intended mapslot: 28

MIDI: Cave Background from OSRS.

Edit: there's at least one minor issue, but will wait for more feedback to post a new version.

shock_rustydrill.zip

Edited by 4shockblast

Oh yeah, I'm going to be cutting it close with this one, but suffice it to say I intend to post my map tomorrow.

3 hours ago, 4shockblast said:

Nice little tribute to "Run From It". I didn't really have any difficulty beating it after a few attempts, which is good, because I find the original to be pretty annoying. Good job!

3 hours ago, taviow said:

Oh yeah, I'm going to be cutting it close with this one, but suffice it to say I intend to post my map tomorrow.

2 hours ago, tsocheff said:

same with me, im gonna post it today or tomorrow 

20 minutes ago, Bobby :D said:

I'm screwed :O

Don't sweat it, I'll still be accepting submissions after the deadline. Better late than never :v

18 minutes ago, A2Rob said:

Nice little tribute to "Run From It". I didn't really have any difficulty beating it after a few attempts, which is good, because I find the original to be pretty annoying. Good job!

Nice, thanks. Yeah, my thought was it should not be hard to beat for anyone rushing through the map if they just do some straferunning, but the challenge is maxing it (not too hard for me, but might be hard especially for non-speedrunners). I'll have some updates to make, but nothing major, just minor bugfixes and such.

6 hours ago, A2Rob said:

Don't sweat it, I'll still be accepting submissions after the deadline. Better late than never :v

Yeah, I don't think I can post my map today, but I'll try to get it done in two or three days.

finally the best scythe map got rep. Very fun map, I didn't try for uv-max but I decided to record a uv-speed. Only thing I have to report is that the sectors (they have the tag 9) which lower on the way back from the blue key room should be damaging but they're not. The demo plays back with shock_rustydrill.zip and the current beta dated 3/22/24

4shockuvspeedattempt-00039.zip

4 hours ago, Monsieur E said:

finally the best scythe map got rep. Very fun map, I didn't try for uv-max but I decided to record a uv-speed. Only thing I have to report is that the sectors (they have the tag 9) which lower on the way back from the blue key room should be damaging but they're not. The demo plays back with shock_rustydrill.zip and the current beta dated 3/22/24

4shockuvspeedattempt-00039.zip

Yeah, that sector issue is the one minor bug I already fixed. I have some other changes planned, will probably post them sometime this week.

19 hours ago, A2Rob said:

Thanks, this will relax things for me a little bit. This is getting my full mapping focus so it should be done soon regardless.

Posted (edited)

Map name: Waste Processing

Map author: taviow

Intended mapslot: 18 

MIDI: DEMIN.MID by ZZZV

waste.zip

Edited by taviow

Posted (edited)

Updated my map with some minor feedback, probably final now unless bugs are discovered.

Reposting the map info for convenience:

Map author: 4shockblast

Intended mapslot: 28

MIDI: Cave Background by Ian Taylor from OSRS.

Source port used: DSDA-Doom 0.27.5cl9

Difficulties: implemented

Co-op starts: present

DM starts: present (but no extra weapons, so it wouldn't be much fun)

shock_rustydrill_v2.zip

Edited by 4shockblast : Quick edit to add some DM starts for completion's sake.

Was not able to complete my map by the deadline, but here's at least proof its mostly here. The shell is basically done, just need to populate with some monsters and add a bit of extra detail in a few places, should be ready by EOW.
Map 17: Orbital_X09

Inspirations: Scythe x map08 and Scythe 2 Map13

This map resulted from a bunch of different ideas that got changed and scrapped at different points. I'm content with the overall design, but if i could go back with a clearer intention i'd likely have a more scythe-faithful design.

Link

21 hours ago, Anarkzie said:

Map name: Hydroponics Lab

Cool map. I feel like there's just barely enough ammo to get by in this level, maybe having a tiny bit more sprinkled in certain sections could help (especially in the pain elemental room and the area leading to the secret exit where the archie jumps you). If you're not going to supply the player with a green armor, at least place some armor and health bonuses here and there.

Linedef 2678, 2733, 2562, 50, and 2517 should be set as impassible.

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 1:50 AM, A2Rob said:

Cool map. I feel like there's just barely enough ammo to get by in this level, maybe having a tiny bit more sprinkled in certain sections could help (especially in the pain elemental room and the area leading to the secret exit where the archie jumps you). If you're not going to supply the player with a green armor, at least place some armor and health bonuses here and there.

Linedef 2678, 2733, 2562, 50, and 2517 should be set as impassible.

Hello, I've added some armour(not having any in the level was an oversight more than an artistic choice) and added a little more health. I added a secret with goodies as well because the level did not really have any other than the s.exit.

I'm still a bit of a noob, how do I find the linedefs? Also if there are any sections that you think still need more pick ups I'm fine with you added or removing them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZV824LjGLmnJ0sOprk50rX9xf7_C23a2/view?usp=sharing

23 hours ago, Anarkzie said:

I'm still a bit of a noob, how do I find the linedefs?

Are you using UDB? It should have a search function that can search by linedef index. IIRC, you can bring it up with F3.

31 minutes ago, 4shockblast said:

Are you using UDB? It should have a search function that can search by linedef index. IIRC, you can bring it up with F3.

Thank you!

I just learnt something new.

A single change. It's now easier to exit the map on all difficulties but for max full path is required.

Walking The Abyss V4

Download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/yng6jqe5nvmk9qq/Walking_The_Abyss.zip/file

Posted (edited)

God please forgive for that abomination I'm about to post

@A2Rob I finally finished the first release candidate of my map. Feedback is very appreciated and needed.

Map name: Savage Garden

Author: Heretic926

Intended mapslot: 31

MIDI: "Vinefort" by James Paddock (from BTSX Episode 2)

Source port used: GZDoom 4.11.x, DSDA-Doom 0.25.6 (-complevel 9)

Difficulties: UV only for now

Co-op starts: none

DM starts: none
Author's notes: Inspired by fifth episode of Scythe 2, this is a slaughter-lite level. I tried to make this map 10-15 minutes long at max, since the goal of this project is to make nice, short, punchy maps. Can't tell how well I imitated Erik Alm's style, especially in terms of combat, but I hope I did good enough. At least it would fit as a super-hard super-secret map (I would recommend to change the slot from 31 to 32 since this map is intended to be the hardest in whole megawad).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1usnXbEr25kkIGaKNTW3siFy-o1WSDr53/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Heretic926

Posted (edited)

This is funny but I completely forgot @A2Rob is one of my favorite mappers. I know this is just a beta for now but any wad/map he creates goes straight in my list.

37 minutes ago, Heretic926 said:

Map name: Verdant Sanctuary

Author: Heretic926

I played your map. I have some thoughts about it.

Plasma Fight: I enjoy the gameplay of this fight but there are two things I don't like about it. The first is that the cells around all the torches take a little time to collect although that isn't really that much of a problem. The other things is that Once I completed the fight it took an extra 20 seconds for the door to open because the fight is on a timer. I would suggest using switches instead of a timer to prevent this sort of problem from occurring. Nobody wants to be held inside a room they've already beaten against their will. Other than these things I quite enjoyed the fight. My strategy to beat it was to use a corner and hold my position there so that corpses would stack up and distract the viles while I killed them. It took me about 3 attempts to beat.

Rocket Fight: The first half of this encounter I wouldn't change as I liked it a lot. The second half though has a problem. That being the amount of barons there. After I had killed everything else in the arena it took me about 60 seconds to cut down all the barons with rockets. Personally I would replace many of the barons with other enemies used in the fight until it is more balanced in terms of infighting. That way you don't have to wait while killing these guys. This fight took me 7 attempts to beat.

Final Fight Part 1: I really liked this one. Probably my favorite in the map or tied with the plasma fight. I wouldn't change anything about it. It took me 1 attempt to beat.

Final Fight Part 2: For this one I'd reduce cacos because it took me an extra 30 seconds to kill them with rockets and I'd also increase the amount of viles. That way there would be less grind at the end as well as more blasting viles down. This fight took me 1 attempt to beat.

Overall I enjoyed the map but I think I'd enjoy it more if a few things were tweaked a bit.

2 hours ago, Heretic926 said:

Map name: Verdant Sanctuary

My thoughts are summed up pretty well by Jacek. Only thing I'd suggest is add a soulsphere to the plasma gun fight.

@A2Rob You don't mind if I change the map name?

Savage Garden V2 changelog:

• Adjusted the timers for both rocket launcher/plasma gun fights
  • Some difficulty changes for HNTR and HMP
  • Added soulsphere to the plasma gun fight and second blue armor to the RL fight
  • Rebalanced monster teleporters in second half of RL fight
  • Arachnotrons now respawn after the player grabs the blue key (UV only)
  • Final fight got some changes:
    • Removed some cacodemons in second half
    • Added four more archviles to the final fight (believe me, that's enough)
    • Replenishment items/powerups now appear at the start of second half (items are different for each skill level)
    • Made a couple linedefs monster-blocking so the spiderdemon had more chances to be effective in fight
    • Adjusted couple of things to (possibly) prevent archviles from launching the player out of playable area (just in case, that's unlikely to happen)

That's all the changes IIRC. Link with the updated file in the OP.

P.S.: I'm surprised you haven't recognized the plasma gun fight, that one was straight from Machete's MAP16 :P

progress report.

Yes, I am fully aware I straight up ripped Scythe MAP04's layout and threw it into the map. I'm going for a horror aesthetic here. Uncanny valley and what have you.
Also I swear to god if there's an easier way for copying layouts between wad files than drawing each line and sector and texture line for line I am gonna lose my shit (I spent 10 hours doing that)

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, EPICALLL said:

progress report.

Yes, I am fully aware I straight up ripped Scythe MAP04's layout and threw it into the map. I'm going for a horror aesthetic here. Uncanny valley and what have you.
Also I swear to god if there's an easier way for copying layouts between wad files than drawing each line and sector and texture line for line I am gonna lose my shit (I spent 10 hours doing that)

I'd advise you to not just copy paste whole layouts from projects that aren't yours. Unless you plan on heavily editing said layout in one way or another, even then I'm pretty sure that's highly frowned upon.

edit: I forgot go2it is a thing, so as long as it's just that you're fine.