Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
logytrail

What's the Best ​​​​​​​LEGAL way to Play Doom 64?

Hello everyone, I've been watching some videos recently on Doom 64, and it really intrigues me. To me, it seems like Doom 3 (especially the story, taking place after Final Doom) but better, at least in my opinion as while Doom 3 is a good game, I would even say a good Doom game in some aspects (please don't get mad at me for saying that), it really isn't my cup of tea. I don't like being scared, and I like power fantasies, then again Doom 64 samples a crying baby for it's soundtrack and has an overall creepy atmosphere so I guess I'm biased for saying I don't like being scared, I just feel like Doom 3 is more spooky. I decided to look at source ports for it, and two really catch my attention, Doom 64 EX and Doom 64 CE. EX from what I've seen needs a D64 ROM, and the only legal way to do that, to my knowledge from a Nintendrew video I watched like 2 years ago, is to buy a pricy ROM dumping thing and pay like $20 for a D64 cartridge, much more than the $5 it is on Steam. To my knowledge, EX doesn't accept Steam copies, and I don't believe the Steam version has an IWAD since it runs on a different engine. I have no idea how to set up CE, but I'm assuming it also needs a ROM since many aspects of it seem to be based off EX. Is there anyway for any of these source ports to use a cheaper, legal way like using the Steam version, or are there other source ports? Also, I would buy the Steam version but I would like some of the quality of life options in EX and CE.

Buy a Steam copy and download yourself a Doom 64 ROM copy.  In the eyes of the devs it should be all good, seeing as they get paid for their work, and the N64 cartridge is out of production anyway.

DM me if you need help with anything.

1 minute ago, Zilch said:

Buy a Steam copy and download yourself a Doom 64 ROM copy.  In the eyes of the devs it should be all good, seeing as they get paid for their work, and the N64 cartridge is out of production anyway.

Oh, I never thought about it that way. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Zilch said:

*gets Thanos snapped by Nintendo for pirating a 25 year old game*

Nintendo be like that, they'll even get you for pirating that one bootleg Windows 98 for the NES

Doom 64 CE includes a patcher that reads the data from the Nightdive remaster (either Steam, GOG, or Epic Games) and produces the files you need to play it. Doom 64 EX+, an updated version of Doom 64 EX, also works with the remaster.

24 minutes ago, logytrail said:

To my knowledge, EX doesn't accept Steam copies, and I don't believe the Steam version has an IWAD since it runs on a different engine.

I think you've come to rather the wrong assumptions as to what's going on. The Steam version (otherwise known as the 2020 version) is the direct successor to EX, they both run IWADs because even Doom64 itself did, it was part of the spec. To the best of my knowledge the 2020 IWAD does not run on EX, but not on purpose, rather the soundfont format had to changed for portability (SF2->DLS), and the 2020 version had a lot of accuracy issues improved which EX missed as well as the maplist extended for Kaiser's new maps which may present some issues running back in the older executable.

1 minute ago, Shepardus said:

Doom 64 CE includes a patcher that reads the data from the Nightdive remaster (either Steam, GOG, or Epic Games) and produces the files you need to play it. Doom 64 EX+, an updated version of Doom 64 EX, also works with the remaster.

Oh, nice! Should I get CE or EX+?

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

I think you've come to rather the wrong assumptions as to what's going on. The Steam version (otherwise known as the 2020 version) is the direct successor to EX, they both run IWADs because even Doom64 itself did, it was part of the spec. To the best of my knowledge the 2020 IWAD does not run on EX, but not on purpose, rather the soundfont format had to changed for portability (SF2->DLS), and the 2020 version had a lot of accuracy issues improved as well as the maplist extended for Kaiser's new maps which may present some issues running back in the older executable.

Oh, thank you for the clarification! In that case, are the source ports or running the IWAD in a normal Doom source port the best way to play?

8 minutes ago, logytrail said:

Nintendo be like that, they'll even get you for pirating that one bootleg Windows 98 for the NES

I heard about Roblox sniping all of the Pokémon games on Roblox lol. Nintendo does not like for you to take any of their shit.

Wow, they even strike down unofficial Lego versions of Pokemon? Can you even get money off of Roblox?

1 minute ago, logytrail said:

Wow, they even strike down unofficial Lego versions of Pokemon? Can you even get money off of Roblox?

Dude. You can make serious money off of Roblox if your game is popular enough.

3 minutes ago, logytrail said:

Like, one game on Roblox (Called Pet Simulator X) has made makes 2.4 MILLION per year.

yeah, you can. not to mention that roblox makes their money off of these games (and then barely give any of that money back to the people who actually made them...)

1 minute ago, roadworx said:

yeah, you can. not to mention that roblox makes their money off of these games (and then barely give any of that money back to the people who actually made them...)

1 minute ago, gamingcooler said:

Like, one game on Roblox (Called Pet Simulator X) has made 75 MILLION since 2020.

Oh, well I guess that was deserved then. Roblox is a little fucked up

1 minute ago, roadworx said:

I mean, creators on Roblox make tons of money, but Roblox does take most of it.

I mean, creators on Roblox make tons of money, but Roblox does take most of it.

Is that not illegal? I always thought companies get at most half of the money games published on their platform earn

Oh, well I guess that was deserved then. Roblox is a little fucked up

Imagine something like Roblox is made but in a Doom format.

Never mind that's /idgames

10 minutes ago, logytrail said:

In that case, are the source ports or running the IWAD in a normal Doom source port the best way to play?

Depending on what you define as normal, Doom64 cannot run on any "normal" source port as of current. The resources are different enough that they can't be loaded with classic source ports.

Just now, logytrail said:

Is that not illegal? I always thought companies get at most half of the money games published on their platform earn

It's 75% of games on Roblox. Holy shit. That's a high number, and I thought it was a lot lower. Developers on these games should take them off of the website and make their own Indie games out of them, and then they actually might gain 75-100% of what they earn.

Just now, Edward850 said:

Depending on what you define as normal, Doom64 cannot run on any "normal" source port as of current. The resources are different enough that they can't be loaded with classic source ports.

Yeah. I heard that there was actually a Doom 64 version of Doom Builder, though (not relevant to the topic whatsoever)

Just now, Edward850 said:

Oh, alright. I define GZDoom and such as normal, though if it can't run on normal source ports, or classic source ports, assuming you mean the ZDoom family or things like Chocolate Doom, then I'll run it on a D64 source port.

Oh, alright. I define GZDoom and such as normal, though if it can't run on normal source ports, or classic source ports, assuming you mean the ZDoom family or things like Chocolate Doom, then I'll run it on a D64 source port.

Honestly, the easiest way to play Doom64 for me is to just buy it off Steam. It's only a few dollars.

2 minutes ago, gamingcooler said:

It's 75% of games on Roblox. Holy shit. That's a high number, and I thought it was a lot lower. Developers on these games should take them off of the website and make their own Indie games out of them, and then they actually might gain 75-100% of what they earn.

Holy hell, that's insane! The only problem with devs making their own indie games is that Roblox, being a kids game probably uses some Scratch level coding, not an actual coding language

Just now, logytrail said:

GZDoom is classic in that regard, yes, it doesn't understand Doom64's map format, colour specifications, palette rules, objects or music (in some respects). The 2020 port is suitable enough for a first play-through, that's what it's there for after all and I'd rather recommend it. If you want to go crazy after and add tomato sauce to the burger I think there's a more modern version of EX that directly takes the current IWAD?

Honestly, the easiest way to play Doom64 for me is to just buy it off Steam. It's only a few dollars.

I think I'll just try a bunch of things and form my own opinion. Steam (or for me GOG) might just be my best bet, but i'll have to see

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

GZDoom is classic in that regard, yes, it doesn't understand Doom64's map format, colour specifications, palette rules, objects or music (in some respects). The 2020 port is suitable enough for a first play-through, that's what it's there for after all and I'd rather recommend it. If you want to go crazy after and add tomato sauce to the burger I think there's a more modern version of EX that directly takes the current IWAD?

Ah ok, I'll just do that then, thank you!

Holy hell, that's insane! The only problem with devs making their own indie games is that Roblox, being a kids game probably uses some Scratch level coding, not an actual coding language

Oh, I've seen what the scripts are, and it isn't Scratch. It uses Lua.