Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
logytrail

What's the Best ​​​​​​​LEGAL way to Play Doom 64?

2 minutes ago, gamingcooler said:

Oh, I've seen what the scripts are, and it isn't Scratch. It uses Lua.

Oh, interesting. I wonder then if some games could be turned into GMod mods. Oh, this thread is actually getting pretty long.

13 minutes ago, logytrail said:

Is that not illegal? I always thought companies get at most half of the money games published on their platform earn

nope. roblox devs get at most 25% or so of the money that they make...in robux. converting robux to irl money only gives you 70% of what you should be getting because roblox then takes 30% of the cut on the conversion as well. and *then*, you have to pay them to advertise your game. it's completely fucked.

also, keep in mind that very, very few games will become successful enough to make their devs a living wage.

I bought it on PS4 and PC, one for comfortable couch & TV play (Would have gotten it on Switch if I had one at the time), the other for the inevitable PC modding and IWAD use. Makes up for the N64 rom I downloaded years ago for EX, heh.

Just now, roadworx said:

nope. roblox devs get at most 25% or so of the money that they make...in robux. converting robux to irl money only gives you 70% of what you should be getting because roblox then takes 30% of the cut on the conversion as well. and *then*, you have to pay them to advertise your game. it's completely fucked.

That can't be fucking legal, they give you the same currency used in fucking memes as payment, and you don't even get all you convert. Say you get 100 robux, convert that to real currency, and you get fucking like $30 or whatever currency your country uses, that's fucked up!

1 minute ago, Devalaous said:

I bought it on PS4 and PC, one for comfortable couch & TV play (Would have gotten it on Switch if I had one at the time), the other for the inevitable PC modding and IWAD use. Makes up for the N64 rom I downloaded years ago for EX, heh.

Is the Switch version as bad as Doom and Doom II on the Switch? It's not that I don't like those they just really aren't the definitive versions of them to me, and I would like the best way to play it legally

1 minute ago, logytrail said:

That can't be fucking legal, they give you the same currency used in fucking memes as payment, and you don't even get all you convert. Say you get 100 robux, convert that to real currency, and you get fucking like $30 or whatever currency your country uses, that's fucked up!

it's completely legal. if they were doing this to irl employees, then yeah, the feds would raid their offices and the company would get shut down pretty quickly. unfortunately, there's lots of loopholes in laws regarding online stuff. hell, you can see that in the fact that, technically, they are using child labor to make the games, but nothing is happening, sooo...

3 minutes ago, DRON12261 said:

The best way to get through Doom 64 today is Doom 64 Remastered, which came out in 2020.

Great and painstaking work has been done there with some QoL improvements.

Alright, thank you!

3 minutes ago, roadworx said:

it's completely legal. if they were doing this to irl employees, then yeah, the feds would raid their offices and the company would get shut down pretty quickly. unfortunately, there's lots of loopholes in laws regarding online stuff. hell, you can see that in the fact that, technically, they are using child labor to make the games, but nothing is happening, sooo...

Man that is just way fucked up, fucking CHILD LABOR? Fuck loopholes, and fuck that, how long have they been around and not got punished for this shit?

23 minutes ago, logytrail said:

Oh, nice! Should I get CE or EX+?

EX+ and Nightdive's remaster are more faithful to the original N64 version, and are also necessary to play certain WADs people have made for Doom 64. Doom CE does a good job replicating Doom 64 as best it can within GZDoom, but it is a different engine so some differences are inevitable (I can't say whether they're noticeable since I haven't played around much with CE yet). CE has a bunch of optional addons/enhancements if you're into that, like the Doom II monsters that were cut from Doom 64, reload animations for the shotguns, and upscaled/PBR textures with fancier lighting and particle effects, and since it's GZDoom you get the features and modding support of that.

1 minute ago, Shepardus said:

EX+ and Nightdive's remaster are more faithful to the original N64 version, and are also necessary to play certain WADs people have made for Doom 64. Doom CE does a good job replicating Doom 64 as best it can within GZDoom, but it is a different engine so some differences are inevitable (I can't say whether they're noticeable since I haven't played around much with CE yet). CE has a bunch of optional addons/enhancements if you're into that, like the Doom II monsters that were cut from Doom 64, reload animations for the shotguns, and upscaled/PBR textures with fancier lighting and particle effects, and since it's GZDoom you get the features and modding support of that.

Well, I guess I'll have an EX+ lying around for those certain WADs, and I'll have CE for normal play, just hope I can remove the archviles from CE

10 minutes ago, logytrail said:

Is the Switch version as bad as Doom and Doom II on the Switch?

Old information I presume? The classic doom ports on consoles are quite top notch now.

3 minutes ago, logytrail said:

Just now, roadworx said:

Every 37,250 Robux is around 130 Dollars - 30% = 91 dollars. Then you have around 10,000 Robux to get your game out there. That's 73.5$ USD per 37,250 Robux.

Buying 200 dollars worth of Robux is around 22,500. So that would mean to reach 37,250 dollars you would have to get:

200$ - 22,500

100$- 32,500

10$ - 33,300

20$- 35,000

10$- 35,800

10$- 36,600

5$- 37,000

10$- 37,800

The closest you could get to 37,250 Robux is this. The total for all Robux here is:

365 Dollars, around 235 dollars more than gaining it by a game. The system's totally fucked up.

6 minutes ago, logytrail said:

Man that is just way fucked up, fucking CHILD LABOR? Fuck loopholes, and fuck that, how long have they been around and not got punished for this shit?

Since 2006.

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

Old information I presume? The classic doom ports on consoles are quite top notch now.

Oh! I'll have to buy those as well then, even if they still aren't the best way, it will absolutely be better then GBA Doom

3 minutes ago, logytrail said:

oh, they've been doing this shit for a loooong time. i used to regularly play it from 2008 to 2015 or 16, and i got to see the slow descent into scummier and scummier business practices. they were always a bit shit, but nowadays they're absolutely horrendous and absurdly exploitative. there's a channel called "people make games" that made two great videos on the subject, go check them out if you wanna learn more.

Just now, gamingcooler said:

Since 2006.

My god, almost 2 decades, getting away with child labor

Just now, logytrail said:

My god, almost 2 decades, getting away with child labor

Well, 2006 Roblox is DRASTICALLY different than 2023 Roblox.

1 minute ago, roadworx said:

oh, they've been doing this shit for a loooong time. i used to regularly play it from 2008 to 2015 or 16, and i got to see the slow descent into scummier and scummier business practices. they were always a bit shit, but nowadays they're absolutely horrendous and absurdly exploitative. there's a channel called "people make games" that made two great videos on the subject, go check them out if you wanna learn more.

I'll check them out, I wonder how it was seeing their downfall into yet another greedy corporation. Also, hello fellow femboy

5 minutes ago, logytrail said:

I'll check them out, I wonder how it was seeing their downfall into yet another greedy corporation. Also, hello fellow femboy

It was sad.

5 minutes ago, logytrail said:

seeing a game that defined part of your childhood slowly becoming worse and worse was very frustrating. eventually it got to the point where i kinda stopped playing the games altogether and only posted on the forums...and then they got rid of the forums, so rip

and hello :3

19 minutes ago, roadworx said:

seeing a game that defined part of your childhood slowly becoming worse and worse was very frustrating. eventually it got to the point where i kinda stopped playing the games altogether and only posted on the forums...and then they got rid of the forums, so rip

and hello :3

roblox got worse after 2014 and took a deep dive since 2020 hit in my opinion

6 hours ago, logytrail said:

Well, I guess I'll have an EX+ lying around for those certain WADs, and I'll have CE for normal play, just hope I can remove the archviles from CE

There's a lot of noise in this thread, and it looks like you've been led astray by all the confusion.

To answer the original question: the best way to play the game is to grab the Steam version and play it as-is. It already comes jam-packed with quality-of-life features when compared to the original N64 release, but is accurate to the original game at its core. There's no need to reach for EX+ or CE at all unless you're wanting to run a mod -- best to check the official release first to see if it's got everything you need, then branch out from there if it doesn't.

7 hours ago, Zilch said:

download yourself a Doom 64 ROM

Uhh, the OP said LEGAL.

8 hours ago, Gougaru said:

Give doom 64 ce a play after you've experienced og. Through the gz doom sourceport 

10 hours ago, Xaser said:

There's a lot of noise in this thread, and it looks like you've been led astray by all the confusion.

To answer the original question: the best way to play the game is to grab the Steam version and play it as-is. It already comes jam-packed with quality-of-life features when compared to the original N64 release, but is accurate to the original game at its core. There's no need to reach for EX+ or CE at all unless you're wanting to run a mod -- best to check the official release first to see if it's got everything you need, then branch out from there if it doesn't.

Thank you, I'll play the remaster, then if need be I'll play CE after. Thank you for the help!

The GOG version is the exact same as the Steam version, and it's currently 66% off.

Just pointing that out because people keep telling about the Steam version.

16 minutes ago, Gez said:

The GOG version is the exact same as the Steam version, and it's currently 66% off.

yeah, personally I use steam, and I've never used GOG, but if it's 66% off then I would steal that offer

21 minutes ago, Gez said:

ooh ooh ooh they got Diablo 1, time to get a GOG account ;)