Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheSlipgateStudios

List of easy Doom 2 WADs?

You can also look at newbie wads, they are an interesting mixed bag. Just type "First map" in forum search.  Most of them are easy, some are less so.

Scythe 1 for sure. Although at some point in the middle you might hit a wall, the first 10 maps are cake. The middle 10 should be doable, particularly if you drop difficulty or use saves. The last 10 and especially map 30 will probably clap your cheeks though unless you get a whole lot better. It's a unique difficulty curve but very accessible to newer players. However to actually finish the WAD might be a long term goal; I certainly am not ready to take on Fire and Ice myself.

Also I'd recommend Plutonia in general, though it's not a Doom 2 WAD per se. It's definitely harder than Doom 2 but shouldn't be too bad if you drop difficulty a bit, and the maps are generally on the short side. It'll help you get better if that's your goal and you'll be able to deal with a lot of things influenced by it. A lot of the secrets and fights are heavily imitated and have become expected knowledge for many custom WADs over the years.

19 minutes ago, Lucius Wooding said:

I certainly am not ready to take on Fire and Ice myself

Quick tip: You can bypass the map in 30 secs if you know what you are doing :)

I would suggest Doom Zero and Anomaly Report which are pretty manageable. Jenesis is slightly more advanced but I was also able to finish that one, and I'm mostly in the same boat of vanilla-ish being my skill level, but also just what I prefer to play anyway. 

1 hour ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Quick tip: You can bypass the map in 30 secs if you know what you are doing :)

You can also bypass every Doom game if you press escape, up, enter, and 'Y,' but where's the fun in that :)

18 minutes ago, spineapple tea said:

You can also bypass every Doom game if you press escape, up, enter, and 'Y,' but where's the fun in that :)

One type of bypass requires finesse, the other doesn't :)

Just now, Faceman2000 said:

>Hey Not Too Rough

That's still not gonna stop say a Plutonia based megawad from obliterating you if Doom 2 on Ultraviolence is about your level. 

Luckily there’s an even lower difficulty!

I went from Doom 2 UV to Sunlust on ITYTD without much problem. If that’s doable then the vast majority of other wads (with difficulty settings implemented) will be fine.

Edited by Faceman2000

56 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

>Load up any WAD that looks cool to you

>New Game

>Hey Not Too Rough

>Have fun!

Sunlust be like, "I mean you're TECHNICALLY right buuuuut...."

Edit: Ok to be fair, you said you did fine with that, but not everyone might say the same thing.

7 minutes ago, RataUnderground said:

Check out Solar Struggle. Dean of Doom says its a C on difficulty :) 

Playing that now, it's been great so far. But, also, technically it's an Ultimate Doom wad

25 Years on Earth - this megawad consists mainly of short and dynamic maps. Their size and complexity don't change too much until the very end, although exceptions sometimes come across. For example, Map05, Map15, Map18 or Map21.

I can also mention The Twilight Zone I & II. 

While it’s not exactly easy, Valiant is pretty fun, and easy enough that someone who beat Doom II could probably beat it given enough time (or you could marathon it like I did and ruin a fair amount of the fun of Valiant)

4 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

>Load up any WAD that looks cool to you

>New Game

>Hey Not Too Rough

>Have fun!

This. Any remotely well designed wad (most of the famous ones are) that includes difficulty settings will be easy when played on Easy difficulty, and will be no worse for doing so.

There are plenty of wads out there that have well-designed, balanced and exciting Easy mode experiences, and they shouldn't be discounted just because the wad on Hard mode is hard.

22 minutes ago, Bauul said:

There are plenty of wads out there that have well-designed, balanced and exciting Easy mode experiences, and they shouldn't be discounted just because the wad on Hard mode is hard.

I would agree but I've had some slightly negative experiences with it. Mainly Plutonia 2 and Plutonia Community Revisited 2. I played them on Not too Rough, but the difficulty of some of the later levels in both WADs are still very nasty, still far above what Doom 2 on Ultraviolence is. I mean granted, Plutonia is in the title so I guess it's to be expected. 

TNT Revilution is great though, I think the difficulty in that is very nice for a bit of a step up above the norm.

This is just one episode rather than a MegaWad, but I quite liked Ascent of Titan, myself: 

It has some cool setpieces and does a good job of making things feel fresh despite never really pushing you too hard. Although it does say "enhanced difficulty" now, so I don't know how much he cranked things up since I last played it. But knowing the author, I imagine it should still be manageable for a newcomer, especially on HMP.

EDIT: Actually replayed it recently. And yeah... it is harder. But I imagine as long as you play on HMP you'll be fine.

Edited by HQDefault

An interesting thread; I was looking up easy wads just a few weeks ago (there are a few threads on the subject already, and I would recommend taking a look at if you haven’t done so already).

BioWar might be a fun wad to play. DoomKid recommended it in another thread and I’m running through this myself on HMP. While the first few maps are quite easy (duh), it does get a little tricksy by around map 6 or 7 or so. Not difficult by Doomworld standards, but some traps are a little cheap.

(https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/biowar)

I’m giving a mention to Moonblood as it’s the reason I started looking for easy wads again. It’s not difficult per-say on HNTR, but I feel it does require hyper-paranoia less one get ambushed by shot-gunners.

(https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/moonbld)

With those listed, you might be interested in programs like Oblige (or Obsidian, now) that allow you to pseudo-randomly generate levels; you can tune them to the difficulty that’s comfortable to you, ‘though I’ve found generating enjoyable levels to itself be a challenge.