Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ludi

[IDGAMES!] Afternoon - a boom-compatible project

Hello again, as promised here is my completed UV max playthrough of Afternoon.

A few words: for me it was a great way to end the year on a high note. I hope more people pick this up because I think it's one of the best and most diverse releases of the year yet it sits here in a sort of quiet manner, ready to be discovered. Some hiccups (MAP09), but all in all I had an amazing time. 'Slime Girls' just blew my mind. The idea that each of these maps was made in about 3 hours feels crazy. There's a lot of talent, a lot of good tunes, and a lot of demons to kill. Thank you to all the contributors and here's to a great 2024 for Doom!

Late to the party, but I played in HMP; maps 01 to 08 continuously and pistol-started 09.

Solid set of speedmaps so far, the first half's easy maps coupled with @Korp's wonderful midis are great to kinda shut your brain off for a bit and just enjoy the vibes :)

Some spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

Nitpick, but the fire texture used in map03 isn't animated for some reason. Was this done on purpose? I guess that is fake, prefabricated fire and you gotta find the real deal in Turkmenistan. I didn't find it :(

I lol'd at the "stained glass" in map05 lmao

Map06 is when the mapset really starts to spice up, altho I noped out of the cyberdemon duel :P

Map07 and 08 are kinda similar with the rocket-leaning gameplay and the rev hordes; fitting to place them together in the set.

Map09 is my favourite so far :D I love the cramped, chaotic fights! The lighting is great, and the space economy is really clever. I actually didn't have that many problems with the final fight, cuz I skedaddled past everything and reached the exit bumped my head on the fire wall. You knew what you were doing there lol

I also liked that it's the only map so far where the enemies can fall off their high positions dramatically when they get shot. I love that detail, but I know that it's not allowed in the other maps cuz of Boom bullshit and cuz they'll either get stuck on the ledges or just swoop off :/

Imagine the clumps of imps in map07 flying off their tumors when shot with the rocket launcher tho, that'd be the shit :)

I may keep playing this in the future, will come back then. Awesome work y'all :D

On 12/30/2023 at 6:47 PM, DreadWanderer said:

Hello again, as promised here is my completed UV max playthrough of Afternoon.

A few words: for me it was a great way to end the year on a high note. I hope more people pick this up because I think it's one of the best and most diverse releases of the year yet it sits here in a sort of quiet manner, ready to be discovered. Some hiccups (MAP09), but all in all I had an amazing time. 'Slime Girls' just blew my mind. The idea that each of these maps was made in about 3 hours feels crazy. There's a lot of talent, a lot of good tunes, and a lot of demons to kill. Thank you to all the contributors and here's to a great 2024 for Doom!

thanks for the playthrough and thorough notes! the compliment for Slime Girls means a lot (especially having noticed which other wads you've loved). :)

8 hours ago, baja blast rd. said:

thanks for the playthrough and thorough notes! the compliment for Slime Girls means a lot (especially having noticed which other wads you've loved). :)

Thank you for mapping. I could say I slowly acclimated myself to slaughter maps (or at least higher difficulty maps with a decent degree of congestion), but this felt like a whole new scale. I'm surprised I managed to do it since slaughter isn't exactly my thing, it's a very well designed map where I had to think quite a bit about how to secure space and approach things. I think it also has the highest monster count of any maps I've recorded.

Just now finished the set, played in HMP and pistol started maps 09 and onward. The set's second half is easily my favourite, specially maps 09, 10, 11 and 13!

Found the secret exit too, and of course I played the secret map the the way it was meant to: with sv_fastweapons 2 and infinite ammo :)

Spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

Finnks' and HiRon's second map are so good. I love tight fights, so three maps (09, 10 and 11) back to back of just them left a great impression on me. On 11's final fight I just held the trigger on the plasma gun for like a solid minute and a half, so fun :)

Korp's big tits arena was alright, it's too much running and not enough pew pew imo. I still had fun tho, the midi gives it this kinda ''I'm freeeee!!!!'' vibe.

rd's map is the very first slaughter map of this scale that I've ever played start to finish. What an awesome first impression :) I've never been into those big awe-inspiring slaughter maps, but this one doesn't go overboard in that sense which I greatly appreciate. It still kicked my ass ofc, but in like a fun way, with like a clown shoe. There's always a way to outflank the masses, running into the crossfire of revs, cybies, cacos and shit, hunting the soulspheres, it's so much fun :D
One thing I noticed is that the mastermind on top of the exit lift doesn't really do much, even when you meet face to face. I assumed she's supposed to distract the mancubi, but that never happened 🤷‍♂️

Awesome map anyways, a perfect ''final'' map.

Nice thank you map too, I hope some day there's enough budget to have full sized models of everybody in the team :)

Also I just now got the pun in Korp's secret map LMAO

Love this project, the first half I feel has more of a ''turn off your brain and relax'' kinda deal, with the second half having the real meat of the project.

Hope to see more of y'all, I'll check out Spectrum Descent in the future! Thank you for making this :)

11 minutes ago, NightFright said:

Wishing you all a good "Afternoon"... 

This is awesome! Afternoon lacked widescreen assets as a result of my lack of experience at the time, so this is very much appreciated <3

Just realized this wad and therefore The Afternoon Crew is a year old. 

Thank you so much to everyone who helped make this group possible, and especially thank you to everyone for playing our work on our journey!