Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
natashanightmare

Is Doom's logo from the 80's?

When listening to punk and metal music on youtube a band called ''Doom'' often pop up, i allways assumed they borrowed their logo from Doom (the game) by redrawing it. But when out of curiosity i searched the band on discogs it clearly shows the band and their logo is from 1987, alot earlier than development on doom would have started. So did ID or someone working on the Doom game take inspiration from the bands logo? Does anyone know more about the origin of doom's (game) logo? The name ''doom'' alone isn't unique but look at the logo's letter o shapes and the pointy sharp letters. Also based on the amount of thrash metal songs ID borrowed for Doom's soundtrack, would it be such a stretch that someone working at ID might have been listening/known about this band? I will research this further. (keep comments in this thread relevant) logo.png.d2fcec3ac19838055ea3ce414a8a8c2f.png

I think it's likely more a coincidence. The word plus the metal style influence resulted in a loosely similar design. I could well be wrong though.

4 hours ago, RjY said:

There is, as they say, nothing new under the sun.

[Exile cover art] 

If you're going to compare the cover to anything then there's a much better answer. Granted, though, this cover kinda sucks.

507021-eric-and-the-floaters-msx-front-c

1 hour ago, spineapple tea said:

If you're going to compare the cover to anything then there's a much better answer. Granted, though, this cover kinda sucks.

507021-eric-and-the-floaters-msx-front-c

Is that Indiana Jones fighting robo demons?

Doom have always been a very underground band, Romero's tastes were much more mainstream. I'm pretty sure the game's logo is mostly inspired by the old Metallica logo. Maybe the band's is too.

Honestly, no for the same reason BCHQ said. They're really quite obscure and Romero's taste simply didn't go that underground. Although in either case, it was someone else who actually designed the logo - the father of Doom monster sculpturist Gregory Punchatz and I think it shares more in common with certain older sci-fi adventure stories if anything - although I feel like it follows in the tradition of Star Wars and Alien with some of its thematic choices. The only thing I know for certain was that id wanted a sort of tech and hell fusion thing but that style precedes both the band and the game by a good few years.

Pretty much as everyone else has said, coincidence. Not to mention the name "Doom" was derived from the film The Color of Money, so no relation to the band in that way either.