Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DogsRNice

What are the most strangely titled pieces of media you can think of?

On 9/19/2023 at 5:23 PM, DogsRNice said:

I remembered the existence of "Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!!" and started wondering how many other things have really out there names. Apparently some paintings often have really strange titles since artists can be weird.

(Don't just link stuff like YouTube poops that always have stupid names (unless they're really good))

Warning: This is very loud.

35 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

This always pops into my head when someone asks me that question.

The fuck? This is an actual movie, not a fake poster?!?

Is it any good at least?

3 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

The fuck? This is an actual movie, not a fake poster?!?

Is it any good at least?

I wouldn't know, I've never seen it. It's got a cracking good score on Rotten Tomatoes for what that's worth to you.

2TemZsg.png

3 hours ago, Ash4ash said:

chocolate starfish and the hot dog flavored water by limp bizkit, odd album name.

Is it any wonder they use album names like that, given the meaning* of the band's name itself?

* Don't click if unusually sensitive to gross stuff.

Magma's album (and song) titles. "Mekanik destruktiw kommandoh" sounds and looks dope AF.

11 hours ago, Azuris said:

I guess everything in Japan, all their Titles are more like an Teaser.

That's the price you pay for market saturation, I guess. One word, two word titles have all been completely exhausted. They ain't gonna catch on, ain't gonna hook no-one, kiddo! But that one light novel with a kitschy, cutesy label sold a lot, so you should absolutely slap your manga/light novel with a run-on sentence. We're living in a timeline where Fiona Apple and Sharon Apple have merged into one...

Natsuiro High School: Seishun Hakusho

This game has the record for having the longest title for a video game, which they did not deign to translate into English but with the help of Google Translate you can get this:

"Summer-Colored High School - Adolescent Record - A Summer At School On An Island Where I Contemplate How The First Day After I Transferred, I Ran Into A Childhood Friend And Was Forced To Join The Journalism Club Where While My Days As A Paparazzi Kid With Great Scoops Made Me Rather Popular Among The Girls, But Strangely My Camera Is Full Of Panty Shots, And Where My Candid Romance Is Going."

I only remember this game from a video I saw a long time ago lol

Natsuiro.png

11 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

I wouldn't know, I've never seen it. It's got a cracking good score on Rotten Tomatoes for what that's worth to you.

2TemZsg.png

I wouldn't trust that Rating alone!

It is as searching for a Club and finding the Rating for the best Fetish Club for Socks.

The Rating will be 90 out 100, but until you aren't loving Socks in a special Way, you will not share that 90/100 Opinion :D

26 minutes ago, Azuris said:

I wouldn't trust that Rating alone!

Captain Obvious, when did you get here?! For real though, you're quite right. I just used it for Rudolph's sake. I personally avoid trailers, reviews, etc and go into media blind.

As an antithesis for the overly descriptive titles for anime games, Arthur Rimbaud wrote a poem called "H". Not about heroin.

When I saw the arcade game "Silent Scope: Bone Eater" somewhere at an arcade in Long Island at least several years ago, my friend assumed it was a Konami game about eating bones literally.

Let us not forget about Back to Saturn X, both the song and the Doom II megawads named after it! :P

3 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Captain Obvious, when did you get here?! For real though, you're quite right. I just used it for Rudolph's sake. I personally avoid trailers, reviews, etc and go into media blind.

I merely asked because I thought you had seen the movie yourself and I wanted to know how you felt about it.

Not as odd as the other ones here but I've always liked how silly the title of this track from Super Mario Galaxy is

(In case the video gets deleted, it's named "Awawawawa!")

Speaking of weirdly-named soundtracks, The Neverhood and its sequel Skullmonkeys!

Honorable mention to "Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!".

In Space Quest IV (1991, Sierra) they're a few spoof boxes. The choice of names gave me a good chuckle:

- A parody of "Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?": "Where in the World is Hymie Lipschitz? [and who really cares]" ^^ 

image.png.820b27c363472f1e1f7ac302f38e1b56.png

- A parody of the "Chuck Yeager" simulations: "Cluck Egger's Advanced Chicken Simulator"

image.png.3a066f9ca22c4aec2e6a025f664901e9.png

A parody of the game "It Came from the Desert":  

image.png.388e815a4bd6209c350cc28aac40bc57.png

Edited by CrocMagnum

@Biodegradable So I tried watching the movie, but unfortunately, it is just your typical Manic Pixie Dream Girl romance story. The animation is nice and all, but I gave up twenty minutes or so in because it is kind of boring and the whole romance feels rather forced: the girl has no good reason to take an interest in the guy (who is indifferent to her), something that even the movie seems keenly aware of it, but it keeps getting brushed aside whenever it is brought up to her. Seriously, all the guy did was accidentally stumble upon her diary in a waiting room and do the (surprisingly correct) thing of just returning it to her without prying. 

When I put it like that, it almost sounds like the premise of a psychological thriller with the girl turning out to be some kind of stalker... Now, that would have made for a much more interesting story!

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

I'm pretty sure I've watched this film from start to finish twice & I honestly couldn't tell you a thing about it. It's the most forgettable movie I've ever seen. It has a pretty stacked cast & a weird alien invasion plot that you would think would make for a fun b-movie, but it's just incredibly boring.

The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?

Never seen this one, but I've seen the title pop up a few times. I'm pretty sure the title spoofs the full title of Dr. Strangelove.

13 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Speaking of weirdly-named soundtracks, The Neverhood and its sequel Skullmonkeys!

Honorable mention to "Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!".

Man, I love The Neverhood so much - it hurts that the creator is a bigot

49 minutes ago, aloysiusfreeman said:

Man, I love The Neverhood so much - it hurts that the creator is a bigot

Then again, he does not seem to be very active creatively as of late, so that makes it easier to ignore him. Last I heard, he was working on Earthworm Jim 4 for Tommy Tallarico's hilariously ill-fated Amico console, but that was back in 2020...

Anyway, speaking of The Neverhood, I was a backer of Armikrog, The Neverhood's spiritual successor that came out in 2015; the game was okay, but it felt like too little too late and it did not do well, so it does not look like its cliffhanger ending is ever going to get addressed... Still, we got another kickass Terry S. Taylor soundtrack out of it! Give it a listen, if you have not done so already.

@Rudolph Oh damn, didn't realize Terry did Armikrog soundtrack. I'll give that a listen - especially since The Neverhood OST is a top-5 video game soundtrack. 

I never played Armikrog - right when I learned that it existed was when I learned Doug was a piece of shit, so I abstained. I'll listen to Terry tho

On 9/22/2023 at 4:53 AM, Rudolph said:

Let us not forget about Back to Saturn X, both the song and the Doom II megawads named after it! :P

I merely asked because I thought you had seen the movie yourself and I wanted to know how you felt about it.

And the Unity versions, with even stranger names. Essel and Tarnsman have track records of weird names for things

1 hour ago, aloysiusfreeman said:

@Rudolph I never played Armikrog - right when I learned that it existed was when I learned Doug was a piece of shit, so I abstained.

You are not missing much. It is not bad, but the story is nowhere near as memorable as The Neverhood in addition to ending just as things are really getting started.

On 9/20/2023 at 4:37 PM, DSC said:

That one's intentional and actually a very clever pun. In the box art, the second "Live" in the title is rendered backwards... And "live" backwards is... Well I think you figured it out already. 

Hide contents

LiveALiveBoxArt.jpg.5818101191f4375f829bcea0c43416a1.jpg

That usage is here  too:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Evil_(Black_Sabbath_album)

On topic though - a lot of the paintings by Salvadore Dali have very odd titles. Check out this list.