Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elborbahquarama

have you ever cried while playing doom?

hello, is there some doom levels (from any wad you played) that made you cry (or made you feel something similar) while playing through it or after while thinking about it? you can talk about the examples if any come to mind, i know it's a bit of a dumb question but i think it can be a sweet subject without going over the top... maybe you also cried while playing doom for a totally unrelated reason, that's okay too

i ask because it happened to me a very few times which is kind of strange considering what doom is, i'll explain it later if some other people answer because i don't want to look like a complete weirdo lol (i'm sorry if there is already a similar thread on the forum, i couldn't find one)

Edited by elborbahquarama

I cried when John Doom Marine said to the Evil version of himself named Dark John Doom Marine "I am going to rip and tear you, until it is done". And then he starts ripping and tearing 

Truly poetic in nature 

Not yet, but I might soon... I have +9000 attempts at a stroller demo so far and I got a demo that's 0.01 seconds away from my target, the new second barrier. If I had done something a hundred of a second faster I'd have my record.

2 minutes ago, Fireseth said:

I cry every time I challenge myself to play MAP32 of Plutonia on Nightmare difficulty. 

It's even possible? I don't care if it's with savescumming, i want to know if it's remotely possible

31 minutes ago, DankMetal said:

It's even possible? I don't care if it's with savescumming, i want to know if it's remotely possible

If you're Zeromaster, anything is possible:

Edited by Fireseth

I haven't personally myself, but I'd be interesting to hear your own stories about it. No need to worry about seeming weird, people have cried over all sorts of stuff.

The Great Alexander, when he heard me argue that there are infinite WADs, he sat and wept, for he was only master of one.

At least a couple times, yes.  I guess I'll give one example to break the ice:  Emerald City, Map16 (Credits Map).  It hits some emotional notes, both story-wise and music-wise, that did tear me up a little.  Cudos to @indigotyrian for making it.

I remember back in the day playing Doom for unreasonable amounts of time in a dark room with my face too close to the old-school cathode tube monitor, and when I finally peeled myself off the chair and went to a lit area and started blinking again my eyes would water profusely, does that count?  

Also, Requiem map 23

In more then 20 years of playing Doom I've never cried emotionally or out of (sheer) frustration either for that matter. I don't think I've ever been moved emotionally by any doom wad or mod to be honest. Marvelling at their technicality? Shure, more then enough, but never did it make me anything close to emotional. Doom has never been that kind of game for me.

Have I ever cried emotionally from a game in general? Oh fuck yes, there was a time when I was going through a very vulnerable period when I started to play games to escape to another reality.

NieR Automata moved me emotionally various times during it's playthrough and the ending of RiMe made me actually cry for the first time.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-MT_pF3QREIByHXxi5we

Edited by OniriA

Full-on, tears streaming down face cried:

Spoiler

- Multiple times when playing Jumpwad, probably most notable from the nostalgia memories induced in Map02, and the whole experience of existing in the space constructed within Map07.

- At the end of Grove, with the star pillar.

- The alternate fucked up reality you can stumble into in MyHouse, with the horrifying custom creatures and the house burning down around you.

- After the whole experience of Map04 of Wormwood: Expanded Universe. Any map that uses SubTerra Remix as a soundtrack is pretty likely to bring tears to my eyes instantly.

Didn't cry outright but had tears in my eyes:

Spoiler

- After stumbling into the big open green revenant flood cavern in Map05 of Abandon.

- At the end of the Mucus Flow, stumbling in to see the cracked and faded star pillar.

- Turning left at the start of Nuts 3, taking in the elaborate star structure in conjunction with the storybook-like narrative that BPRD wrote down for the Map's description.

- Many times when replaying Elysion, just because of the atmosphere and the midi.

- A few times when wandering around Eden's outdoor green area / cave system in -nomonsters.

- Map05 of Xerxesia. I think it was the midi that did it.

- Finely Crafted Fetish Film. You have become a ghost.

- That stopper map in Antaresian Reliquary, with the bunny.

- Map01 of The Settlements, I think it's the midi in combination with that outdoor area's framing.

- The underwater section in Sigma.

- Probably a few times in various different Eternal maps. There are these structures that are just kind of Out There in Map01 of Gravity and there's something really melancholic and solitary about them. Long Days also feels like a very emotional take on Nuts.

- Wormwood 5 intermission screens. I think romantic_skulls.mid is one of the most beautiful midi compositions ever.

1 hour ago, NoisyVelvet said:

At least a couple times, yes.  I guess I'll give one example to break the ice:  Emerald City, Map16 (Credits Map).  It hits some emotional notes, both story-wise and music-wise, that did tear me up a little.  Cudos to @indigotyrian for making it.

^ didn't play this myself but caught Napsalm play it on Twitch. The midi in combination with the final text was really touching.

Most definitely other instances I'm forgetting.

I don't remember exactly, but I definitely had some heavy emotions during listening to some MIDIs (like MAP20 and MAP31 tracks from TNT Evilution and Doomcity music) or when I played certain maps (previous mentioned or other)

I'm not soft touch if we speak about games, I don't even scared by most of horror games, but, yeah, sometimes I also feel like a true human being! =)

It's also a large factor of nostalgia, I'm all about nostalgia!

Never outright cried but I feel like getting to the end of The Thing You Can't Defeat kinda punched me right in the emotional gut, so to speak. I was left pretty speechless, if that kind of counts.

The time when I played this map for the first time, I stopped to simply listen and got a wee misty-eyed

Yes, but in the "unrelated reason" category. Several years ago I completely shattered one of my wisdom teeth and couldn't see a dental surgeon for 2 days, so I spent that time doing whatever I could to distract myself. I do remember trying to play Doom, and getting very teary eyed from the pain.

The first time I finished MyHouse.wad. That empty yard with the for sale sign. It was like my entire life, all my experiences, had simply never existed.

I've never outright cried, I honestly think I've become incapable of crying in all but the most striking circumstances.

But regarding the time my heartstrings have most been pulled....probably anytime I hear "Serenade of the Demons." Pure beauty that totally fits the Ancient Aliens map it's paired with and does make me slightly misty-eyed to think of what we do in that map.

One map which used the Mucus Flow midi (don't remember which one it was but it was claustrophobic as balls)

Grove, when I stumbled into the, ah, "fairy circle" But really that entire map is just feels up straight through the heart and right to the brain.

Map 02 of I Can't Give You Any Thing. The obvious metaphor went over my head but looking back....it holds a certain symbolic importance to me of what I wished I had, yet perhaps I'm damn lucky I don't (and you can probably guess from my avatar I despise that's how things are).

Liminal Doom, in the school map.

thank you very much to each person who takes the time to answer sincerely and share a little something and doesn't jump on the occasion to make fun of me

it happened to me two times :

once was when i played a level called "my fav" which is level 11 in a wad called "japanese community project" (it's exactly what the title says it is!!), the level is made of separate sections that are all color themed and that you have to go through one by one, when i played it it felt like i was going through a gorgeous celebratory representation of what the modding communities were made for and a declaration of love to doom modding, each area has its own set of enemies and features rooms of completely different shapes and decorated with different things, in my head its like a miniature of a whole culture, it captured a complete imagination, it's like it contained an entire world of aspirations and sensibilities, displayed for me to play around in this museum not cold and prescriptive like some can sometimes be in reality, but completely full of life and for ever changing, exploring through personal little images the various feelings brought on by the joy of creation that will live on as long as we have them, and the funny little cheerful music heard while playing through the level probably helping, i cried after i reached the exit and had taken the level in, without any elaborate thoughts like the ones here but just with the pure feelings, brought on me by the level and that i just tried to describe, floating in my heart

the other time was when i played the level "seaport", which is level 11 from the wad "sacrament", the people who made this wad obviously tried to create a dark atmosphere by using low lighting and mp3s for all the levels, but then this one has a surprisingly upbeat midi, you go through a big cave until you reach a giant opening in the rock that leads to the ocean, and then you have to ride up an elevator next to it that takes 20 seconds to get down at maximum speed and once you reach the top you find yourself still at the same sea height in an area entirely lit at full brightness next to a simple red brick wall you have to lower to reach the couple of boats you need to jump on to exit, it was all very moving to me, it's such a simple level and everything about it felt so naive and melancholic in my heart, i had the feeling of going through a lost world, maybe a precious moment of hope and love, a romantic window into somebody's feelings of being young and happy and ready to begin the voyage through life and discover the world, ready to go on an adventure on the ocean, like this level was the modest expression of one slowly moving on to adulthood and making the departure from their childhood by acknowledging the still cherished precious cocoon of imagination and fantasy from their simpler past life and at the same time tenderly welcoming their future older self and creating a glorious, enchanting altar to an inevitably long gone memory of the most beautiful thing they had, when i reached the boat and looked back on the small last area and its adorable absence of shadow and enjoying the sweet music, i just decided to cry with all my heart, this place felt so important and comforting, but it was also so very much doom, it's just so nice

Edited by elborbahquarama

Yes.  I had mold poisoning a few months ago and didn't know it.  It was causing severe mental instability, mood swings, amnesia, violent outbursts, and hallucinations.  I lost a job.

Then I played MyHouse.wad and had a complete meltdown that lasted for a few days.  I couldn't even finish the wad.  The dilapidated house in MyHouse.wad hit close to home as did the text blurbs from item pickups.  All the 90's nostalgia made me think about things I'd rather not.  Especially the airport.  The airport was the worst part.  It's making me feel a bit weird even talking about it.  Between that wad, squatting in this old house, and mold poisoning, I actually had a bit of a breakthrough.  Better than a therapist.  Hot damn, life can be crazy. 

I'm gonna go listen to "Hot Sexy Body" by Noiselund and cheer myself back up.

Hope y'all are feeling ok

5 hours ago, Andrea Rovenski said:

i played ancient aliens while on a lot of mushrooms and when i got to map 7 i lost it because the music is too good and the birds are way too epic.

Unbelievable -- I had to look up the map number but I also cried on this map, on mushrooms, but for different reasons.

My father was dying of pancreatic cancer the first time I played this map which must've been 3 years ago or so now. The map's desert aesthetic reminded me of Nevada, Arizona, those places out west to which my dad often drove during his job as a truck driver. (He actually had a master's degree in electrical engineering and was one of the smartest people I've known.)

Anyway that map's title, Dare to Fly Where Eagle's Soar, its music, and its environment all hit me in the gut with heavy realization. DOOM95 was on a shareware floppy at my house as a kid and I literally cried in fear when my dad played it, and eventually when I got braver he would sit down and watch me play until I was too scared. Now I was helping him up the stairs he was too weak to walk up and changing him and administering his meds. And I could never go back to that time when he could beat all the things I was too scared of. I loved him and still miss him and probably always will. When I play now I think back on those days a lot and the memory hurts less. I'm glad I have it.

When I run out of cells for my BFG. 😭

But in all fairness I think at most I just felt intensely depressed when I went through Unloved the first time when it was new, I was in a very dark place mentally and environmentally, so it was like an escape in a way, being able to fight back against the demons that I couldn't fight in real life. I was already and still am a huge Silent Hill fan (the first four games) so needless to say it felt like this release that came out of nowhere by an author that didn't do anything else with Doom felt like it was made specifically for me, my own Silent Hill so to speak. I think a lot of the Realm667 monsters tend to detract or feel out of place at times but the maps, atmosphere and music used are handled with expert care at evoking an oppressive and gloomy world, no sign of the UAC, no typical space marine fights back against the forces of hell, in Unloved it feels like it's you in your own hell and you're on the brink of losing at all times, be it literally or metaphorically (losing your sense of self.) The ending still gets to me, I don't think it was ever explained what happened so it's open to be interpretative.