Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

What GZDoom/UDMF format is used for Doom 1 editing?

Question

There isn't a specific GZDoom/UDMF mapping format for Doom 1 that I can find in UDB, though I'm assuming the "GZDoom: Doom 2 (UDMF)" format might be the correct one? Is there anything to be aware of if I use that for Doom 1, assuming it's correct?

11 answers to this question

I assume the game (Doom 1 or 2, HacX, Chex, etc) is a different setting to the map format (normal, UDMF, etc).

There's no Doom 1 config for GZDoom because there's no point. If you want episodes just use the Doom 2 config and create episodes through MAPINFO.

24 minutes ago, andrewj said:

I assume the game (Doom 1 or 2, HacX, Chex, etc) is a different setting to the map format (normal, UDMF, etc).

The thing is, the GZDoom/UDMF format for Doom 1 doesn't show up in UDB. And I seem unable to find anywhere that I can drop a cfg file into for it to do that.

The only things to keep in mind are to avoid adding the super shotgun and the new enemies to your map.

Also the map naming needs to follow the ExMx scheme instead of MAPxx.

KDiZD featured Hell knights, chaingunners, and a super shotgun in Doom 1. Void featured several Heretic and Hexen monsters and weapons in Doom II. When talking about ZDoom, it's pointless to put in restrictions on what you can do based on the IWAD.

3 hours ago, boris said:

There's no Doom 1 config for GZDoom because there's no point. If you want episodes just use the Doom 2 config and create episodes through MAPINFO.

There kinda is because GZDoom supporting Doom 2 stuff in Doom 1 doesn't mean DOOM.WAD has the assets for them.

6 minutes ago, Individualised said:

There kinda is because GZDoom supporting Doom 2 stuff in Doom 1 doesn't mean DOOM.WAD has the assets for them.

Yes, just use the doom2.wad. If the textures that are in Doom 1 and not Doom 2 are needed they can be used via a texture wad.

And nothing is stopping anyone from creating a "GZDoom with Doom 1" game config.

10 minutes ago, boris said:

Yes, just use the doom2.wad. If the textures that are in Doom 1 and not Doom 2 are needed they can be used via a texture wad.

Some people might want to specifically create a .WAD for people who have DOOM.WAD though. Remember the Doom 1 and Doom 2 (Final Doom is weird territory, because you're technically paying for it when you buy Doom 2 currently, but it's also separately available for download for free from the add-ons service for not just Doom 2's Unity version but Doom 1 as well. I don't know how that works in terms of licencing.) IWADs still aren't free, so it's not completely unreasonable, even if the number of people on here who don't already own all of the IWADs is miniscule.

46 minutes ago, Individualised said:

Some people might want to specifically create a .WAD for people who have DOOM.WAD though. Remember the Doom 1 and Doom 2 (Final Doom is weird territory, because you're technically paying for it when you buy Doom 2 currently, but it's also separately available for download for free from the add-ons service for not just Doom 2's Unity version but Doom 1 as well. I don't know how that works in terms of licencing.) IWADs still aren't free, so it's not completely unreasonable, even if the number of people on here who don't already own all of the IWADs is miniscule.

And by using DOOM.WAD you'll exclude the people who only own DOOM2.WAD.