Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
realjohnmadden

MBF21 dehacked from DECOhack isn't working

Question

I have an MBF21 dehacked output from DECOhack that I put in my WAD, but it doesn't work. I'm using Woof, with MBF21 compatibility on.

Both the Boss Brain and Keen act the exact same as the originals, but have different sprites. The output DEH file looks fine to me - see attached images.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

3 answers to this question

First of all, where did you get numbers 72 and 88? I can't find those in any reference I have. Try using MT_WOLFSS and MT_KEEN instead to be sure this is what you are replacing.

Second, your current code will make them unable to see the player, as frame duration -1 means they will never call A_Look again. I believe all the vanilla monsters have 10 as duration of their idle frames, but it can be something else if necessary.

4 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

First of all, where did you get numbers 72 and 88? I can't find those in any reference I have. Try using MT_WOLFSS and MT_KEEN instead to be sure this is what you are replacing. 

Those appear to be the editor numbers for Commander Keen and Boss Brain, but yeah it's not correct to use them here. Instead those identifiers you suggested or the dehacked thing numbers should be used.

72 and 88 are the thing IDs for the boss brain and Keen, although after looking through the DECOhack help again it looks like there's also an EdNum variable - presumably the one used in the editor, and the numbers listed on Doom Wiki's "DEHACKED" page is what I should be using in "thing #".

(I was typing this up when another reply came up, and yeah, the dehacked thing numbers work.)