Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frolik

[Debut Map] Ambyte Dump - Available for download

This is my debut map, Ambyte Dump.

Get it from:-
ModDB -- https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addons/ambytedumpv1-01
or
Mediafire -- https://www.mediafire.com/file/s7j5e2a5z0rnr7i/Ambyte_Dump.zip/file

It runs with GZDoom, requires Doom2.wad, and is in UDMF format.
Aside from Doom2, all other assets are included in the wad so nothing additional needs to be done.
As far as other source ports go, I cannot confirm except to say that it DOESN'T run with Zandronum (which is a shame) because of some DECORATE stuff. Sorry about this, but bear in mind that I'm an absolute beginner and still don't know what I'm doing in certain areas. I'm sure I'll figure this out in the future.

As far as gameplay goes, it's follows a pretty standard progression in terms of weapons and enemies. It is mostly, but not all linear. Kill everything, find secrets, get to the end.

Freelook is fine (and probably necessary in one area). Jumping and Crouching are disabled.

Difficulty is probably the hardest thing for me to gauge. I'm not a particularly good Doom player and can UV MAX it without a problem... so it will be a breeze for half-decent players, but I can really only speculate beyond that.

Thematically there is nothing much to say except that it's a hotchpotch of styles because I started with no real plan, as it is my first ever attempt at a Doom map, my first ever time scripting, and didn't really know what I wanted to do with it... so I made it up as I went along.
Indeed, the title "Ambyte Dump" doesn't mean or refer to anything. It is simply an anagram of "My Debut Map".

Anyway... Enjoy (hopefully)

Oh, and I read the tips on posting wads, and it mentioned screenshots (thanks CapnClever) so here are a shedfull...

DOOMAD3.PNG

DOOMAD6.PNG

DOOMAD8.PNG

DOOMAD9.PNG

DOOMAD13.PNG

DOOMAD14.PNG

DOOMAD15.PNG

DOOMAD16.PNG

DOOMAD17.PNG

DOOMAD18.PNG

DOOMAD19.PNG

DOOMAD21.PNG

DOOMAD22.PNG

DOOMAD23.PNG

DOOMAD24.PNG

DOOMAD27.PNG

DOOMAD29.PNG

DOOMAD31.PNG

DOOMAD32.PNG

DOOMAD34.PNG

For a first map is very generous!

Mix of Doom/Hexen mobs..., numerous secrets, neat level design with an impressive last area and some welcome touches of humor!

For my taste there is a bit of a lack of enemies in the large areas (it would also perhaps have been necessary to close the entrance to the cemetery during the combat to prevent the player from being able to escape/fight outside!).

But that doesn't affect the pleasure of playing it.

It's pretty good! Does what it says, basically, and it's hard to really be bored as a result. Although people that dislike switch-hunting will probably not like it very much because there are several instances it's likely some players will wander with no clue what to do next. Nice musical style too, btw.

So I did go and complete this one. Honestly, I found the platforming near the end and sinking floors to be highly obnoxious. Admittedly, I was trying to finish the map but it still seemed worth pointing out:)

Edited by LadyMistDragon

Thanks for the input, guys.

Just to avoid any confusion, the YouTube video in the post above is NOT from this wad.