Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cursed Lemon

Playing Doom 64 TC in the original engine, question about secrets

Hey guys, so just out of boredness I was playing through Doom 64 TC and the associated expansions The Reckoning and Redemption Denied in the original modified Doomsday engine (which is just awful let me tell you), and I noticed on a few maps I was unable to get 100% secret completion no matter how hard I scoured the map. It seems like more of a glitch than me not actually finding all the secrets. So I thought, eh I've never gotten into Doom map editing, maybe this would be an opportunity to load the maps up in Ultimate Doom Builder and check out some things. Specifically, I was following this video's example on how to locate and decrypt secrets.

However, in UDB when I load up the TC, all sector effects are listed as "unknown" and there aren't any secrets listed when I search for type "9":

image.png.7ab7e5c712620d5d130044b3fbf42398.png

image.png.c69668a04c9e3d2f8f273e7fdcec2f8d.png

Any idea what gives?

EDIT: I should say that I load the wads in with game configuration "Doom: Doom 2 Format" since the game is based on the original Doom2.wad, maybe that's wrong?

Edited by Cursed Lemon

So I just noticed there's a "d64_editors.zip" file included in the TC bundle with a .cfg file inside it that's apparently meant for Doom Builder. I went ahead and installed the original and put the .cfg file in place, however I get this error:

image.png.3b8a4ccea799256b6dec7e5accf2a244.png

There are no spaces there lol

EDIT: Just tried the same thing with Doom Builder 2:

image.png.f39d60e6ae1b46f533ae39e3985adbbd.png

I'm attaching the D64_builder.cfg file to the thread.

D64_Builder.zip

Edited by Cursed Lemon

1 hour ago, esselfortium said:

The Doom64 TC predates Doom Builder 2, you'll have to find a copy of the original Doom Builder.

I hunted it down with Wayback Machine, that first error is what that's from.

Also while I've got you on the phone "memory=entryrrrr/////" is life

EDIT: A YAML checker says that that whole section around line 659 is fine, so don't know what's up.

Edited by Cursed Lemon

1 hour ago, Immorpher said:

@styd051 you got some more info on this?

hey no because even I never figured out how to put the D64TC setup on DB, only Kaiser knows, but the original D64 TC is obsolete now I made a remastered version of the D64TC on the remastered port and on a port EX Custom to add news customs contents but I still haven't finished it because I still have The Reckoning campaign, and Redemption Denied, Oucast Level has remastered on the official D64 engine, only the Absolution TC version campaign has been remastered and again I have to update it because I made a lot of modifications on the EX version and which I did not make on the remastered port

Looks like the original Doombuilder will load the config file if I delete this string, guess it didn't like that there:

image.png.ce180f8642dac76029dec7ecc9e37085.png

But when I try to load the doom64_abstin.wad file, it gives me this error:

image.png.5a2b1c472e6f553bcd25580726670fc3.png

I think I might be loading the wrong file when it asks me to select the associated IWAD, I was trying to just load doom2.wad

Not sure where to go from here.

I believe the secrets in D64 TC are determined via a linedef special rather than a conventional sector special. The DoomWiki pages should tell you exactly which linedefs these are. If you just want to determine their number, Ultimate Doom Builder works fine for this purpose, because you can search for the IDs that DoomWiki tells you.

2 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Looks like the original Doombuilder will load the config file if I delete this string, guess it didn't like that there:

image.png.ce180f8642dac76029dec7ecc9e37085.png

But when I try to load the doom64_abstin.wad file, it gives me this error:

image.png.5a2b1c472e6f553bcd25580726670fc3.png

I think I might be loading the wrong file when it asks me to select the associated IWAD, I was trying to just load doom2.wad

Not sure where to go from here.

these are all actions exclusive to the D64 TC port all that, and normally doom64_abstin.wad works with DB because I had used it at one point while working on the remastered conversion to see what was on the cards in the 'original for the restored on the official D64 maps

8 hours ago, Dynamo said:

I believe the secrets in D64 TC are determined via a linedef special rather than a conventional sector special. The DoomWiki pages should tell you exactly which linedefs these are. If you just want to determine their number, Ultimate Doom Builder works fine for this purpose, because you can search for the IDs that DoomWiki tells you.

This isn't true for the expansions, for example the page for Redemption Denied lists "no official secrets" on majority of the maps.

8 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

This isn't true for the expansions, for example the page for Redemption Denied lists "no official secrets" on majority of the maps.

The expansion map pages on the wiki were done utilizing the Doom 64EX port of Redemption Denied and The Reckoning, so yes, those are different. I believe the secrets are correct in the Doom CE versions though.

2 hours ago, Dynamo said:

The expansion maps were done utilizing the Doom 64EX port of Redemption Denied and The Reckoning, so yes, those are different. I believe the secrets are correct in the Doom CE versions though.

Interesting, I was playing them through the original TC engine, maybe that's my whole problem to start?

EDIT: I misunderstood and thought you meant the expansions were MEANT for D64EX

Edited by Cursed Lemon

2 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Interesting, I was playing them through the original TC engine, maybe that's my whole problem to start?

Just use Doom CE, the levels are the same and you get all the extra content of the TC to boot.

Alternatively, you can open the old maps in Doom Builder and look for the same linedef special type on each map using the search function, but no guarantee that they're set up correctly.

8 hours ago, Dynamo said:

Just use Doom CE, the levels are the same and you get all the extra content of the TC to boot.

Alternatively, you can open the old maps in Doom Builder and look for the same linedef special type on each map using the search function, but no guarantee that they're set up correctly.

It looks like the linedef types for secrets are just listed as "unknown" and the configuration file doesn't make it clear what I should be looking for.

Looks like it's pretty much a dead end, Doom 64 CE it is then