Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rampancy

let the whoring begin!

Posted (edited)

E1631A54-CAB7-4827-805F-3C8BC87FEB6A.png.a55eb8fd4d63e5f687a1694e8a1c8d2a.png

found this today. i dont think ive ever seen doom on a mass produced product that wasn’t somehow, at least tangentially game related. 

excitedly i brought it back to the car, showed the wife and explained that it was to not be eaten. realising my mistake, i then turned around and went back in to get her some chips. 

now im a little sad as i think about how microsoft will probably run doom into the ground until it is mush ala halo. 

Posted (edited)

damn its almost like id is a triple a studio that produced the most sold PC video game of all time or something and is a well kmown piece of pop culture that The Simpsons has made jokes about or something and isnt some obscure niche piece of media or somethin

this is kinda like seeing Mario on a Juice Box or Yoghurt and going "damn, nintendo sold out bro"

Posted (edited)

I'd already made mine for my Monsta BBQ map but hadn't finished or released

it when I ran into those stinkin' Doritos at my grocery store. I made a point out

of showing it to my friend. She agrees that mine is much more "old-school" Doom

than this ...

Spoiler

doomFlamas.png.614f4ddea0328082ba3931f1254de223.png

Posted (edited)

OH NO, Doom is on product placement! Doom has truly fallen, this is so sad.

It's over guys, close the website. We're all moving to Maze War.

LOL even though this is real, it gives off the same vibes a bootleg version of a game has
784-608927142.jpg.1577d5bb9c5b8f1a35f7180ac2641940.jpg

12 hours ago, fruity lerlups said:

damn its almost like id is a triple a studio that produced the most sold PC video game of all time or something and is a well kmown piece of pop culture that The Simpsons has made jokes about or something and isnt some obscure niche piece of media or somethin

this is kinda like seeing Mario on a Juice Box or Yoghurt and going "damn, nintendo sold out bro"

I think it's not only valid but healthy to see a massive company slapping their IPs all over random packaging and cringing as a result. Any other reaction feels oddly forgiving to blatant corporate shilling and the generally.. let's call them "less beneficial" aspects of capitalism.

Long story short, unless those chips are actually seasoned with real doomguys, I'm fucking suing.

I don't know if you can say it's not even tangentially related if there's an Xbox game pass code (or something) right there on the bag. Doritos and Mountain Dew being "gamer fuel" is something that goes back at least a decade. 

50 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I think it's not only valid but healthy to see a massive company slapping their IPs all over random packaging and cringing as a result. Any other reaction feels oddly forgiving to blatant corporate shilling and the generally.. let's call them "less beneficial" aspects of capitalism.

Long story short, unless those chips are actually seasoned with real doomguys, I'm fucking suing.

Sorry, in small white text it says “not seasoned with actual doomguys” so your case has no standing.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

So what you're saying here is that I shouldn't be waiting for Ray Mohawk(tm) Doritos?

lol, get it?

Doom slayer on the spicy nacho flavor b/c of his relation to hell.

I'm disappointed by the Doritos... more so by the lack of genuine doom whoring.

man-that-is-flagrant-false-advertising.gif

17 hours ago, fruity lerlups said:

I dunno, I think Doom and id software in their prime didn't really "sell out" until around the time John Romero and some others began to leave (or when they were bought out by Bethesda). But even then, I think id despite becoming more of a brand hasn't fallen far from their roots in terms of their design attitude, which for that I'll commend them. Not that there aren't things to criticize of course, but as the industry has demonstrated time and time again, it could be much worse.

5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

This is the real tragedy of it. Two of the larger corporations on the planet, each with more money than God, and they can't even be arsed to make a caco-shaped, Listerine-cinnamon-and-Carolina-Reaper-flavoured FIREBLU version.

1 hour ago, OpenRift said:

I dunno, I think Doom and id software in their prime didn't really "sell out" until around the time John Romero and some others began to leave (or when they were bought out by Bethesda). But even then, I think id despite becoming more of a brand hasn't fallen far from their roots in terms of their design attitude, which for that I'll commend them. Not that there aren't things to criticize of course, but as the industry has demonstrated time and time again, it could be much worse.

never said they sold out, just that like.. they are one of the most successful american video game companies ever so I wouldnt be surprised to see like Monster Energy BFG Flavor with "Buy a slab of monster energy and get 50% off the Doom Eternal year one pass". It doesnt bother me in the slightest, this dorito package has promotions for gamepass with has Doom eternal on it. If anything i echo peoples sentimenbt that there should be more effort, like make a Archville flavor that will "Scorch you and then revive your gaming corpse" XD

I dunno, "spicy nachos" doesn't really make me want to rip and tear anything. I don't think this marketing team is performing to the standards we expect here at Doritos.

Ain't whoring for some smelly chips with some lego dude on it.

Capitalism needs to try much harder to get me to whore for something.

Oh lovely, that dark-armored NotMasterChief is on a bag of Doritos.

I'll be sure to buy a bag every wek.