Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yumheart

No Sky to be Touched [boom-compatible, cl9]

Posted (edited)

I'm doing something new when I sort the WADs section of DW by Start Date. Helps me find new wads that might have gotten some views but no comments. This looks interesting. Might play it on HMP or lower.

Thanks Yumheart!

1 minute ago, DreadWanderer said:

How tempted should I be for a UV romp given that I survived 'No More Boomer Men'? 🤔

I haven't played this version, but presuming it didn't change all that much from the version I tested: there are several killer fights that took me quite a few deaths to figure out and/or properly execute after figuring out. It's not the hardest thing ever on UV but it is full of sadistic Yumheart setups, so set aside some time.

Was a pleasure to playtest this, by the way. Anyone who's looking for a snowy mountainous/cave/rock region and doesn't mind getting their head bashed in a few times should have a lot of fun with it.

1 minute ago, Maribo said:

I haven't played this version, but presuming it didn't change all that much from the version I tested: there are several killer fights that took me quite a few deaths to figure out and/or properly execute after figuring out. It's not the hardest thing ever on UV but it is full of sadistic Yumheart setups, so set aside some time.

Was a pleasure to playtest this, by the way. Anyone who's looking for a snowy mountainous/cave/rock region and doesn't mind getting their head bashed in a few times should have a lot of fun with it.

Cool, thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm absolutely not expecting success on a blind run of course, but I'm hoping single seg UV max is doable with preparation. I guess the best thing I can do is load it up. Might hold off a bit though, I'm in the middle of a playthrough and I wouldn't want to risk breaking the flow in case I become obsessed with this one.

This map is so mean, but so incredibly fun, I love it.

Here is an extremely long fda on uv with saves, plays back with dsda-doom 0.27.5 (possibly on the latest version? just downloaded it a hour ago):  nstbt-raven-fda.zip

Had quite a bit of aimless running around at ~15 minutes mark because wasn't sure where to find health to be able to progress with one of the big fights, but figured to look for secrets eventually. I actually really enjoyed that aspect of having to figure out where to get the health and armor for the key fights, was very interesting resource management task to solve. The map doesn't like you being wasteful.

Cool fights, cool layout, cool oppressive snow cave as a setting. Also the map has the most (to quote) "pretentious weapon progression" ever, I really love that.

Yeah, gave this a spin in the past 35 mins or so.....damn, some of the fights are very hard and the size of the cavern overwhelmed me. It's really beautiful though, and very intricate in terms of how to plan the proper use of resources. Ravendesk is 100% right on that one, you can't afford to waste the goodies. Welp, I was right to put any attempt on hold. I don't have the energy to dedicate myself to maxing this map right now, but I do wish to return to it in the future. 

10 hours ago, DreadWanderer said:

Yeah, gave this a spin in the past 35 mins or so.....damn, some of the fights are very hard and the size of the cavern overwhelmed me.

I don't have the energy to dedicate myself to maxing this map right now, but I do wish to return to it in the future.

Hey, don't be ashamed to switch to a lower skill setting. I always play the map on HMP, now that I'm mostly done with testing / balancing

11 minutes ago, Yumheart said:

Hey, don't be ashamed to switch to a lower skill setting. I always play the map on HMP, now that I'm mostly done with testing / balancing

Yeah ofc, I've just been used to playing UV. We'll see how it goes.

I tried this yesterday but found it impossible to gel. Thankfully, I was in a better mood for this because I really didn't want to just avoid this because of sheer difficulty! I hope this secret santa event wasn't the one I'd left because of the 80,000 pings. It's fine though, it would be weird when I don't really make maps. Played on HMP because while I'd normally do these sorts of maps on HNTR, I decided I wouldn't totally neuter the challenge when I'm not even a bad player.

13 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I tried this yesterday but found it impossible to gel. Thankfully, I was in a better mood for this because I really didn't want to just avoid this because of sheer difficulty! I hope this secret santa event wasn't the one I'd left because of the 80,000 pings. It's fine though, it would be weird when I don't really make maps. Played on HMP because while I'd normally do these sorts of maps on HNTR, I decided I wouldn't totally neuter the challenge when I'm not even a bad player.

Here I am weeping and making sad UV noises. I admit that not letting go of my pride is a personal failure of mine. Need to work on that.

23 hours ago, DreadWanderer said:

Here I am weeping and making sad UV noises. I admit that not letting go of my pride is a personal failure of mine. Need to work on that. 

In your case I would advise not skipping the BFG at the very start like LMD did lmao

4 hours ago, Yumheart said:

In your case I would advise not skipping the BFG at the very start like LMD did lmao

I didn't, but thanks anyway!

Don't skip this one y'all, this map kicks ass.

Your ass, specifically. 

But skip the BFG on HNTR, it's fiiiiine. Only difference is when you can slow down and shoot things!