Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoctorNuriel

Community Project concepts that you would like to see?

On 2/11/2024 at 10:04 PM, Roofi said:

"INSERT THE NAME OF THE WAD" in name only

A dumb idea using this concept: how about levels based upon the \random seed of idgames search?

ERI.WAD!

A compilation of 100+ maps made in like 1/2 a week in the style of D!ZONE or Maximum Doom, uncredited unless requested otherwise, and complete with either a custom interface a la zdmlmenu. Call it ZONED! or D!SLOP or something similar. 

Serves as both a fun diversion for experienced mappers and as a decent way for ultra-new mappers to get some experience without judgement because "it's supposed to be messy/jank" and nobody is required to be tied to their submissions.

Requirements:

>Short submission window, but you can send whatever you want or have.

>Have to be from scratch.

>GZDoom for the sake of approachability, but with Doom (Strict) compatibility settings.

>No jumping or crouching, but freelook is fine.

>Levels have to be completable from pistol start without cheats.

>Joke/troll wads lacking any depth aren't the goal, though jokes and LARPing that these are real 90s/2000s maps is fine (if not encouraged/expected).

>On that note, music has to either be a base Doom/Doom 2 track or a midi rendition of a song from the 80s, 90s, or early 2000s, regardless of how (un)fitting it is.

>People can submit multiple levels as long as they meet the requirements above. Quantity is the goal.

>You need a non-fresh account to submit (maybe 3 months?) just to help weed-out spam and trolls.

>Levels will be vetted for anything too NSFW and overly-offensive content. A bit is fine to fit the style of the era though.

In essence: A project like Fastest Shovel or Pandora meets DUMP/RAMP

Mmm... Interesting but i really don't know if something like this can be possibile?

Posted (edited)

A megawad that makes heavy use of portals and non-Euclidean geometry in a more cosmic/lovecraftian horror setting.

Mainly inspired after playing the 10th Quake FUNC Map Jam themed after the Insomnia mapset (particularly Twisted Strings), the way myhouse.wad utilizes silent teleporters to simulate geometrically impossible spaces, Rylayeh, and warhammer horror (aka cosmic horror involving demons rather than the Cthulu mythos).

Would still be action-focused, but it would go for an atmosphere even more unsettling and horror-inspired than Doom 64.

Edited by Warboss_Gegguz

Posted (edited)

Last Idea I keep having that's a SUPER UNLIKELY weird, niche, pipedream sort of concept, but screw it:

A set of extremely difficult and lengthy levels set in post-apocalyptic gothic and baroque with a metanarrative and/or themes inspired by works like The Ascent of Mt. Carmel, The Dark Night of the Soul, The Cloud of Unknowing, and other mystic, ascetic, and apocalyptic literature.

Sort of like Salt and Sanctuary or to an extent Dark Souls.

As someone who doesn't believe a game entirely about killing demons is remotely satanist, I've always had this desire to turn the narrative around. Especially when most "christian" games are vapid evangelical tripe with 0 merit as either games or art... but I acknowledge I'm in a super small minority here, lol. 

Just sort of something I've always wished I could do, but lack the mapping skills. So I'm just throwing it out to the community.

Aware I'm mostly alone on this though, lol.

Edited by Warboss_Gegguz

DooMMachinery. A set of maps where every map works like a machine, with mechanisms governed by the laws of physics.

The idea is that I enjoy switch hunts and puzzles very much when they look like they could be based in real-world mechanisms and are not "random". An example are the water puzzles in Grove and MyHouse, where you have to find out how a water level in a map area with a "liquid" could be related to another "liquid" area you have to reach for progression or to get a goodie. But there could be a lot more mechanisms, based on fire/heat, lasers, even biologic processes, or some esoteric otherworldly physics governing Hell - as long as the player can understand the mechanism and solve the puzzle/switch hunt it would be fine.

In other words, it could be a CP for  "switch hunts which are actually fun". Perhaps I'll do a demo map of this kind, although I should finish my beta map Trypophobia first :)

A dungeon crawler type wad made up of 30 (or more) maps with an RPG system and maybe multiple classes. Could go for medieval fantasy, or do something like Caverns of Darkness/What Lies Beneath/etc. where you have a surface-level facility, then an underground superstructure from where they were doing excavations, then some creepy underground ruins, then caverns, and finally go full cosmic horror madness at the bottom.

Posted (edited)

if it hasnt been done before*, id like to see a spooky-season megawad where each map ""caters"" to a specific -phobia. stuff based around sth like apeirophobia (infinity) or trypanophobia (needles) or opthalmophobia (being stared at) would likely make for some pretty great atmosphere if done right. yeah, it'd likely have to come with a few content warnings, but i suppose that's the spirit of halloween

(*if it has been done before, please link me there immediately)

Edited by bsharp

The Cute-onia Experiment, where the maps have an adorable, bubbly aesthetic (even using Plutonia's curved geometry motif to craft "soft-looking" structures), possibly with a moe/chibi overhaul for all graphics, but the actual gameplay is still as ball-crushingly hard.

Wacky Weapon Workshop, where each participant creates one unique and bonkers weapon with DECORATE and designs a map wholly dedicated to and designed around that one weapon (no vanilla pistol starts - just the fist and the map's specific weapon - and death exits to prevent the weapons from being brought into the next map). The final map would provide all 31 other maps' weapons in an Icon of Sin-esque starting room and provide ammo solely through modded backpacks so as to allow all weapons to be used freely in an extreme slaughter challenge.

One Minute WarningPlaytime restricted maps, similar to "Micro Slaughter Community Project" conceptually, with maps that must be UV-Maxable in one minute of playtime, maybe more time if people really want?

On 7/8/2024 at 9:13 AM, bsharp said:

if it hasnt been done before*, id like to see a spooky-season megawad where each map ""caters"" to a specific -phobia. stuff based around sth like apeirophobia (infinity) or trypanophobia (needles) or opthalmophobia (being stared at) would likely make for some pretty great atmosphere if done right. yeah, it'd likely have to come with a few content warnings, but i suppose that's the spirit of halloween

(*if it has been done before, please link me there immediately)

There's this thing, unlickily dead:

Archipelago community project: you have one map in the sea, and each participant builds their own island with some monsters and items. Idk, maybe someone came up with that first.

A 90's Bullshit wad, in other words a community project where the gimmick is to make a map with the most amount of annoying things or tropes seen in many 90's doom wads, also the design of the maps should be primitive to match this aesthetic (i.e. very square areas that are quite flat or midis that seem just slapped in there and don't fit the level at all) 

So pretty much just think of any annoying thing seen in many wads from the 90's and make a map using those and submit it to the project

I wouldn't want to play it more so I think it's just a funny concept :3

Posted (edited)

I was just playing some coop with @No-Man Baugh on Odamex, and we'll definitely start a puzzle centered coop community project someday. 

The name "Midtex Madness" popped into my head, maybe that could work as a fun community project idea?? I dunno what it would entail exactly, but just throwin' the idea out there 👀

To make another post in this thread (alongside the earlier Ring-related idea), I wouldn't mind seeing a community project in the style of the Danganronpa series.

On 7/20/2024 at 5:23 AM, JeffAri said:

A 90's Bullshit wad, in other words a community project where the gimmick is to make a map with the most amount of annoying things or tropes seen in many 90's doom wads

Having just (re)played The Master Levels on KexDOOM, I'd argue we've already got this covered.

9 hours ago, Jayextee said:

Having just (re)played The Master Levels on KexDOOM, I'd argue we've already got this covered.

well the master levels are full of 90's doom map tropes and annoyances because it was made in the 90's, I was talking about a megawad that is made, of course, in the modern era and intentionally adds and or exaggerates said 90's tropes as a gimmick

I guess I get what ur saying though

A community project I'd love to see is one where every map progressively becomes more detailed, starting with a simple and tiny map with a few mostly empty rooms in a straight line and only a couple zombiemen, and culminating in an hour-long epic journey of a wad that will take the player across twisting terrain and deadly skirmishes and arenas.

On 7/20/2024 at 6:23 AM, JeffAri said:

A 90's Bullshit wad

In short, Pandora but with even less quality control?

I see that a project like that Is highly wanted here, see the D!SLOP idea plus some other people i read that had a similar idea, as well as standalone releases like Doom part 2 or Hard Nut to Crack that are strongly inspired by 90s wads... The 90s rebirth is alive!

5 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

In short, Pandora but with even less quality control?

I see that a project like that Is highly wanted here, see the D!SLOP idea plus some other people i read that had a similar idea, as well as standalone releases like Doom part 2 or Hard Nut to Crack that are strongly inspired by 90s wads... The 90s rebirth is alive!

Yes, exactly, at least a few of the levels should have some kind of way to get softlocked or unbeatable on certain difficultes, among other things, no quality control at all, or the least there can be