Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JackDBS

Truth (My first map)

I made this map back in October/November 2023. I had experimented with Doom Builder in 2020, but I never kept any of the maps that I had made (if you can even call them that). 

This map was meant to be a much larger one and much harder, but the idea got scrapped because I got bored.

Eventually, I joined community projects in December, and I think I've become much better at mapping since (haven't had much released yet but hopefully that changes real soon).

The map is completely intact from its original completion, besides there being a proper exit now.

IWAD: Doom II

Maps: 1

Map Slot: MAP01

Difficulty: Medium (I'm not too good at Doom though)

Tested with: GZDoom and DSDA-Doom

Sourceport: Boom

OpenGL rendering is good.

NO FREELOOK, NO CROUCHING, NO JUMPING

Music Used:

MAP01: T-Square - Truth (MIDI Arrangement)

Title Screen: Chris Hülsbeck - Stage 1-1 (from Mega Turrican)

Intermission: dai - You (from Higurashi)

Title pic is from Umineko. Intermission screen is from The Scheme.

DOWNLOAD THE MAP:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nLCJd1DvHjcjg6ci6YjaXY03uLril8Bh/view?usp=drive_link

EDIT: forgot to add download link

Screenshot 2024-02-20 202440.png

Cool, and challenging :).

Totally forgot to come back to kill the first revenants, haha.

Interesting attempt at a Tyson-style map a la Hell Revealed. The opening scrum was engaging, what with a hot start to route the imps and pinkies around the turrets. The sequence after that? A predictable slog: bait heavily congested lumps of low-tiers into attacking, then slowly but surely knock them down while remaining patient. I was initially pleased to see the big finale, but the odd group placement of demons and nobles, with no incentive to rush in for a chaingun or even some armor, told me to play the funnel game again. Berserk fisting barons in tight spaces sure sounds like someone's idea of fun, but I like having options. Clean-up in the arena went smoothly, if uneventful. Then I charged through the hall-of-mirrors fake wall (?!) to find a rather abrupt walkover exit.

Since you're well into working on community maps, I'm not sure how many of my points are still relevant, but I agree that this map feels like a leftover. The idea works, and I'd love to see you revisit this later on, either for a CP or your own mapset. Maybe expand on the opening room, spiraling the player into an evolving countryside full of revenant fire and low-tiers waiting to get bamboozled with some crowd shaping. The visuals aren't terrible, either, though the lighting and texturing felt way too flat for my liking. Craggy canyons aren't easy to do, and I hope you've been experimenting with freehand line drawing and finding good angles for sky rendering (something I still need to work on). Cool to see we have very similar tastes in music, though I would have chosen a more aggressive T-Square rendition if available. One day we need to make the Japanese PC game-themed mapset...

Demo: TRUTH-FDA-UV-cl9-PasokonDeacon.zip

My own quick tweaks to the map, in case you're interested: TRUTH-v1.1.zip

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the feedback @PasokonDeacon! It certainly is a leftover but I still like the ideas I originally had thought of in the beginning. I'm probably going to remake this map for my in-progress one-man megawad (which is taking a really really long time), maybe as a ending to the jungle themed episode (MAP11-15, but I'm on MAP04 so who knows). Hopefully we can work on some maps together in a future, but now I'm really busy with that megawad and my Nova IV map.

Posted (edited)

A different kind of map (I played it in HMP). Quite cryptic at first as the player is very underarmed, but it's something that one can become used to before long. The very most kills I amassed were by inducing infightings (those Revs in the first room are quite useful as they can be subverted into stationary missile launchers, especially against the Barons). Most Pinkies and Knights I killed by punching, the Imps and Zombies were better finished using the pistol. An interesting one-time experience!

Edited by ARMCoder