Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KIngboxvolyr

[Limit Removing] Chrono Laboratories - a Single level for Doom 2

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone, I'm posting my second WAD here, which I originally planned to be vanilla. However, I encountered several problems and errors with it, so I decided to opt for limit removing instead, and perhaps in the future, I'll use the Boom format along with new textures. I also wanted to change the names or edit the menu a bit, but since Whacked and Dehacked give me errors when trying to execute them, I just changed the music. Anyway, enjoy the map.

Name:  Chrono Laboratories (ChronoLab.wad)

Map Format: doom: doom 2 format

Ports Tested: crispydoom 6.0.0 - dsda doom 0.27.5

IWAD: Doom 2

Map: MAP01

Music: "Indigo" by Korp

Gameplay: Single play

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Multiplayer Placement: No

Build Time: 6 weeks

Requirements: no Jumping, no crouching ,freelook (optional)

ChronoLab.zip

DOOM0003.png

DOOM0007.png

DOOM0000.png

Edited by KIngboxvolyr

Just played it on GZDoom in UV, and at first I've got impressed by the sheer lack of action: lots of weaponry / ammo and ample spaces for quite a scarce roster of monsters. By seeing the stats upon completion and doing some further analysis, I saw that most monsters placed in the map didn't teleport in, they stayed dormant in the waiting rooms. So it seems there's some level of incompatibility between this map and GZDoom, for the record. I have DSDA and will try the map again later.

Cheers!

Very cool shading you got here!

I'll echo ARMCoder's concerns with a level that is wide and easy to navigate but has very little threat in return. Just crank up the difficulty a bit more and you're set for great maps!

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Oxyde said:

I'll echo ARMCoder's concerns with a level that is wide and easy to navigate but has very little threat in return. Just crank up the difficulty a bit more and you're set for great maps!

In your gameplay those monsters teleported to the main concourse (they didn't in my gameplay)... and even so they weren't really a great threat.

In the blue door room, I just let the big foes kill themselves until only two Imps remained, I finished the Imps with the pistol, all without ever entering the room. I entered the room just to flip the switch. I didn't notice the secret in there.

Short and stylish map which creates excellent atmosphere of an industrial area. We fight through courtyard with boxes and tanks that have amazing details. Ground burnt with acid leaked from one of the tanks, another tank is broken and empty, zombies hide there as they're planning an ambush.

Then we find high-tech machinery, crates that sink in poisonous acid - the place keeps being immersive throughout the experience.

You can have a lot of fun thanks to monster infighting and berserk.

Straightforward layout, accessible fights - this level would be just for you if you're looking for a way to relax, not scratching your head about how to defeat these dangerous foes or where to go next.

I found the ammo excess a little confusing. Although the ambush while pressing the red key was certainly large enough, that felt somehow accidental with how much spare ammo there was! Nice layout though:) The open areas give off a 90s feel of realism, which is always appreciated.

Starts simple, then it gets progressively better. Cool :)

Traded some punches with the last one.

e7mo7D8.png