Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DavidN

Thoughts on Doom from a 7-year-old

It's too often that we don't give kids the chance to really create and voice opinions about things. This is a really beautiful example of letting that happen! I also hope you two play more, that sounds like a wonderful family binding experience. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 3:20 AM, DavidN said:

I hope we get to play more - and hopefully she'll be interested in trying Ultimate Doom Builder for herself quite soon :)

Future Cacowards on the way ;)

Edited by Zoti

Posted (edited)

Indeed, the closest to in game map editing classic Doom has got is probably Doomsday's inbuilt Bias light editor:

Edited by Vermil

I propose the Cacowards get a Post of the year award, and this thread as a contender.

On 3/2/2024 at 10:20 AM, DavidN said:

1. The player's dead face on 0 health. I'd never even thought of this as particularly disturbing because he doesn't look distressed to me, just sort of tired - meanwhile, the Ouch face still shocks the hell out of me whenever it pops up.
  2. "I don't like how you can move the bodies". I didn't understand this one at first, imagining she was seeing the weird movement of corpses bouncing down (or even up) stairs when they're killed with some momentum. But I later worked out that she meant how the corpse graphics only have one direction and always face you when you turn around - that's another thing that I'd never really considered, but that I can see might be strange to someone who doesn't understand that they're just rendered as a single sprite.

Funny thing, I felt the same when I was a kid playing shareware Doom at the time, pickup face on below 30% health scares me more than the dead face, and also realizing the corpses don't turn like the live enemies was.

This is the cutest thing. I've noticed a bit of that too with my brother, he said that "Doom looks really good for a game made in 1994". He thought the game was much more recent. I guess that's the benefit of having a more varied landscape for games that don't just aim into full realism and rising appreciation for pixel art thanks to the indie scene.

On 3/3/2024 at 7:12 AM, ZeroTheEro said:

Funny thing, I felt the same when I was a kid playing shareware Doom at the time, pickup face on below 30% health scares me more than the dead face, and also realizing the corpses don't turn like the live enemies was.

I've just remembered that I used to be very scared of the heartbeat monitor on Blake Stone, and always had to turn its sound off! I'm really not sure why.

On 3/1/2024 at 6:20 PM, DavidN said:

Even eagerly asking me to "do the fountain again" which I would come to realize meant the voluminous gushing effect when a Cacodemon is killed with the Deadmarine effects

The fact that my Dead Marine mod has persisted at all in the memory of a young child is absolutely trippy and mind-blowing to me. Not something I ever anticipated!

Delightful read, just really nice to see a parent and kid bonding over a shared experience.

On 3/2/2024 at 2:20 AM, DavidN said:

I knew this day would come

XD she definitely knows you XD

On 3/2/2024 at 2:20 AM, DavidN said:

the Ouch face still shocks the hell out of me whenever it pops up

I remember when I first saw this. Cause the early versions were bugged so it was exceptionally rare. Been playing for months then suddenly it appeared out of nowhere. My brother didn't believe me when I told him.

Think it was more that after months then suddenly this appears so more freaky than the face itself.

It is interesting to hear what people who (more and more so nowadays D:  ) were not there when doom came out what they think of it.

This is brilliant! 
My eldest son is 13 and I got him playing Doom a while ago. It is indeed a  fantastic experience to pass this game on.

We just finished playing both SIGIL wads together. Moving onto Final Doom next…..

Isn't amazing and beautiful how much you can observe and learn from kids?

I'll never stop saying this but I haven't touched a game in like 25 years and I re-discovered Doom after 30+ years only because of my son and now I am addicted to this marvel while he's playing all kind of other games, FPS etc. and I'm there looking at those new AAA games thinking "how can they even compete, look how they move and shoot, the only one that comes close is HL2 in my opinion".

Doing 20 other things now but I'll read the story again later, you just enjoy your time with the kids, it's a wonderful thing.

Posted (edited)

I love how child's perspective on different things is very often different from adult's perspective (well, because child had much less experience in life) and it is always interestiing for me to read posts like this. I wonder what your kid will think about building levels

I wonder what my dad would've posted 30 years ago when he helped me mod doom when i was 8 years old... with Barney pinkies, Energizer bunny sargeants, Bill Clinton cacodemons, shoulder-mounted chicken launchers... ?? (He's still around, just not a gamer, even with his gaming laptop, lol.)

Probably nothing quite as awesome and detailed as this. Thanks for sharing!

It's great to hear things like this, especially from a kid's perspective. Sooner or later, she'll probably want to pick up the game and play it again because of her prior experience and move up on the skill level over time.

Adventures of Square would be a fun WAD to try with your daughter - similar vein to Chex Quest, just for the modern age.

Fun read, I vividly remember sitting on my mom's lap at age 5 watching her play Doom 3 and having bad dreams that night only to be curious about it at a later age and eventually installing Skulltag at age 7 on a crusty Dell laptop and playing KDITD over and over on my keyboard, since, well, that's how my parents played and it and a laptop only has a trackpad. That and Fava Beans were my jam for a long time. I think I just kinda did that and eventually got my own desktop and started playing some community works based on the Cacowards and dipped my toes into mapping in 2016 with DUMP 2. Been sort of an on/off addiction since then. 

I'm glad you're letting her explore what she wants to play, Chex Quest is a fun playthrough and it goes to show you don't have to play any one way to have fun with Doom's engine. I think it's a great game for building hand-eye coordination and reflexes, as well as some of the more aesthetically pleasing WADs inducing that creative spark in me (but she has you, a mapper for her father so I can't imagine the apple falls far from the tree in that regard). No wrong way to go about it, playing your compiled RAMP works has shown me that if you give any person access to Doom editing, especially in the past few years, there's no telling what they'll make. Heck, maybe they'll stick around and push out a Cacoward winner given enough time. So I dunno, it's just charming seeing this interaction happening both isolated in a bubble and as a hope that Gen Alpha will have interest in our game of choice on this forum, and I can't wait to be an old geezer yapping on here in 2065.

2 hours ago, bioshockfan90 said:

Adventures of Square would be a fun WAD to try with your daughter

I had no idea this one existed, can't believe how much fun I'm having right now!

Lucky kid. I had to wait till I was 12 to play Doom! Anyways, I like to hear what a 7-year old kid thinks of doom, and how confused she is at why the monsters look 2d. We have just evolved to far. It’s also nice to see a kid play something apart from Roblox skibidi toilet tycoon or something like that. This kid ain’t a cocomelon kid. This kid is a doom kid.