Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darch

Pirate Doom II (finished!)

1 hour ago, Darch said:

That's actually me, haha

Ahaha, that's brilliant

Posted (edited)

What is the best overall soundfont for PD2? It seems like no matter what I try there are some issues with certain instruments. Nothing critical but you know how it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by whatever_man

Guess I just used the default soundfont of the tested ports (PortMidi, FluidSynth). Which soundfonts are you using, and what issues are you experiencing?

I've played halfway through this (just finished MAP15 with the secret exit) and I'm loving it! The theming is top-notch, and the levels are distinctive without outstaying their welcome. I have only the most minor of nitpicks, which is that the string "This statue is missing it's head" should be "its" without the apostrophe.

Posted (edited)

Why do imps throwing knives sounds like chicken cluckinhg as they fly?

On 4/26/2024 at 11:52 AM, whatever_man said:

What is the best overall soundfont for PD2? It seems like no matter what I try there are some issues with certain instruments. Nothing critical but you know how it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I use "WeedsGM4" with TremoloStrings instruments swapped with same from "Patch93s Roland SC-55" - original does not loop properly in some cases. I feel that the instruments in it are better balanced than in Arachnos, while still getting a better quality and "oomph" than default one. Didn't notice any issues so far.

7 hours ago, Sinael said:

Why do imps throwing knives sounds like chicken cluckinhg as they fly?

They don't. You must be referring to the Revenant's projectiles, which do emit bird sounds, because parrots

On 5/5/2024 at 10:04 PM, Darch said:

They don't. You must be referring to the Revenant's projectiles, which do emit bird sounds, because parrots

No, I refer specifically to the swooshing sound of the Imp's knife. When it flies past you its "swoosh-swoosh" sounds a bit too cartoony, and resembles a chicken clucking quite a bit.

12 hours ago, Master O said:

@Darch, I assume you've seen Icarus Lives' video already, right?

I did, I caught the stream live  :)

I'm only halfway through, but I'm having a great time so far! I don't know if it's already been reported, but I ran into a softlock on map 15. From one of the higher floors of temple, you can run off and make it to this plateau:

Spoiler

qeABU0u.png

And from there, you can fall down behind the fence where the invuln is and get stuck.

4 hours ago, SCF said:

I'm only halfway through, but I'm having a great time so far! I don't know if it's already been reported, but I ran into a softlock on map 15. From one of the higher floors of temple, you can run off and make it to this plateau:

Reveal hidden contents

qeABU0u.png

And from there, you can fall down behind the fence where the invuln is and get stuck.

Fixed, thank you!

This was a pleasure to play and surprise out of nowhere. Pirate Doom is probably my favorite mod of all time and happy to say this eclipsed it. Thank you for this Darch! 

In the "Hell" map there were 4 Cacodemons in the castle towers that never activated, and could not be alerted from below so they just sat there doing nothing.

On 5/9/2024 at 10:00 PM, Tony_Danza_the_boss said:

This was a pleasure to play and surprise out of nowhere. Pirate Doom is probably my favorite mod of all time and happy to say this eclipsed it. Thank you for this Darch! 

Glad you had fun, thank you!

On 5/10/2024 at 6:37 AM, Sinael said:

In the "Hell" map there were 4 Cacodemons in the castle towers that never activated, and could not be alerted from below so they just sat there doing nothing.

Fixed, thanks

This is so great, it takes Doom on the whole new level!

It's full of custom stuff and novel ideas, there are technical things I've never seen before.

It's fresh, varied and very fun to play, definitely deserves a Cacoward in my opinion!

Amazing midi soundtrack!

But i noticed something is off with the volume dynamics if played with fluidsynth. It's in all midi's made by Darch. A good example is Map5; where the toms immediately go all over the place in volume. Interestingly everything sounds perfectly fine with other midi players.

Otherwise 10/10 midi soundtrack.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Broadsword Jim said:

I'm still waiting for the final version.. How long will it take? It's been quite a while.

I think it's ready, actually. Just doing some final tests. Will probably release this week. 

42 minutes ago, Buffy said:

Amazing midi soundtrack!

But i noticed something is off with the volume dynamics if played with fluidsynth. It's in all midi's made by Darch. A good example is Map5; where the toms immediately go all over the place in volume. Interestingly everything sounds perfectly fine with other midi players.

Otherwise 10/10 midi soundtrack.

Thank you! The tracks I wrote were made specifically for their maps  :) 

Which port are you using? I didn't hear this with fluidsynth in Dsda nor GZDoom (it sounded completely different on each port to me). In GZDoom, there was one loud tom then it goes back to normal. Probably something with the midi velocity or expression.   

8 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

It may be intentional but there is a misaligned texture on map 17 next to the blue key.
https://imgur.com/a/E0y0ScN

Fixed, thank you! 

Posted (edited)

Looks like there is a few more here next to the megashphere.
https://imgur.com/a/Edrot37
Also, the secret on 17 feels really unfair, idk how anyone was supposed to guess that was how you get the megasphere. It killed my "100% secrets without help" run. I think that should be reworked personally because it just seems like softlock prevention would be up there and not a secret.

Edited by Raith138

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Darch said:

Thank you! The tracks I wrote were made specifically for their maps  :) 

Which port are you using? I didn't hear this with fluidsynth in Dsda nor GZDoom (it sounded completely different on each port to me). In GZDoom, there was one loud tom then it goes back to normal. Probably something with the midi velocity or expression.   

I tried a few things and it seems like my go to midi player portmidi i don't hear these velocity dynamics at all, in microsoft gs wavetable synth its present and fine but in fluidsynth and some others its much more accented and makes sometimes for a woobly volume experience in my opinion. I tried all usual ports, couldn't see a difference.

Posted (edited)

@Darch

Do you have the background tile which was used for the STBAR image somewhere, by any chance? (Can be via PM.)

In the meantime, this is what I came up with for a widescreen statusbar by relying purely on copy & paste:

piratedoom2_STBAR.png

pd2_uwide.zip

Edited by NightFright

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, NightFright said:

@Darch

Do you have the background tile which was used for the STBAR image somewhere, by any chance? (Can be via PM.)

In the meantime, this is what I came up with for a widescreen statusbar by relying purely on copy & paste:

piratedoom2_STBAR.png

pd2_uwide.zip

I have a widescreen statusbar done too, I removed it because some ports didn't support it. Here it is, in case someone want to use it:

STBARwidefont.png.41f884448d7714d4eb9ac810954d5170.png

And I believe the image used for the background is this:

free_hires_wood_texture_4.jpg.6c808ecdc69e3f93cf59427b28a8457f.jpg

edited with correct status bar graphic, the other one had an older font 

Edited by Darch

Finally got round to finishing this, great fun from beginning to end. Amazing adventure.

On 5/15/2024 at 2:18 PM, Darch said:

Here's the final version:

DOWNLOAD

The main changes between this version and the latest beta are:

- Witch Doctor and his minions' sprites recolored by @plums(big thanks!!)

- Most secrets have been marked again 

- New grog bottle sprite and some additional decorations

- MAP27 rebalanced to be quicker and easier

- New Colormap by plums

- Tons of texture alignments, graphic clean ups and slimetrails fixes.

Also, big thanks to @Scuba Steve for improving all weapon graphics and animations, along with many other graphic enhancements. 

And many thanks to all beta testers!

Have fun!

Gratz on release man!!

On 5/15/2024 at 1:18 PM, Darch said:

Here's the final version:

DOWNLOAD

The main changes between this version and the latest beta are:

- Witch Doctor and his minions' sprites recolored by @plums(big thanks!!)

- Most secrets have been marked again 

- New grog bottle sprite and some additional decorations

- MAP27 rebalanced to be quicker and easier

- New Colormap by plums

- Tons of texture alignments, graphic clean ups and slimetrails fixes.

Also, big thanks to @Scuba Steve for improving all weapon graphics and animations, along with many other graphic enhancements. 

And many thanks to all beta testers!

Have fun!

Will you also upload Pirate Doom 2 to IDGames as well?

I'm really loving it so far! There's just one thing I'm a bit confused about: In some maps the secrets seem to be a little messed up for some reason? I'm playing on GZDoom, maybe that has something to do with it?

What I mean is: For example in map 08, when I open the automap it tells me there are 4 secrets. However I can only find one of them (the SSG), and when I look in Doombuilder, it also only shows that one secret. The same happened in map 10, the automap tells me there's 1 secret hidden somewhere, but when I look in Doombuilder there are 0 secrets in this map.

All I wanna know is, is the automap correct or Doombuilder?

@bowserknight many of the secrets are intentionally hidden from the automap. They are also often made secrets through generalized sector effects, so using Doom Builder to search for Sector Effect 9 (secret) won't find them. In the case of MAP08, there are some items stashed behind the short waterfalls on the west side of the water, with Sector Type 384 (secret+friction).

Secrets do still show up on the map with IDDT if you feel compelled to find them all.