Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darch

Pirate Doom II (finished!)

Posted (edited)

Found an oversight on MAP02, the big lowering platform next to the exit only lowers from the left side when pressing on it.

This WAD is an absolute treasure (heh) by the way, so much soul.

Edited by Scorcher

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, plums said:

@bowserknight many of the secrets are intentionally hidden from the automap. They are also often made secrets through generalized sector effects, so using Doom Builder to search for Sector Effect 9 (secret) won't find them. In the case of MAP08, there are some items stashed behind the short waterfalls on the west side of the water, with Sector Type 384 (secret+friction).

Secrets do still show up on the map with IDDT if you feel compelled to find them all.

aah that makes sense, thank you. Yeah most of the time I just search for Sector Effect 9 as you said. I found the secrets I'm missing now.

By the way I also noticed something about the music in some of these maps. For example in maps 10 & 11, there's sectors that start playing a different track, but it can be repeated infinitely. Especially in map 11 the music keeps alternating between 2 tracks if you enter the beginning sector. It's not too tragic but still a little irritating.

Congrats on the final release! Now that it's done, I'll check it out soon! Loved the first one, so I was really hyped for this.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Master O said:

Will you also upload Pirate Doom 2 to IDGames as well?

Yes, in the future, I still want to watch some playthroughs to make sure everything is alright.

3 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Found an oversight on MAP02, the big lowering platform next to the exit only lowers from the left side when pressing on it.

This WAD is an absolute treasure (heh) by the way, so much soul.

Thanks!! Both sides have the same triggers. The intended way to lower the platform is by shooting the spinning target, but you can also lower it by pressing on it.

By the way I also noticed something about the music in some of these maps. For example in maps 10 & 11, there's sectors that start playing a different track, but it can be repeated infinitely. Especially in map 11 the music keeps alternating between 2 tracks if you enter the beginning sector. It's not too tragic but still a little irritating.

This can only be fixed if port developers allow voodoo dolls to activate music changers, which is not possible at the moment. As far as I know, only ZDoom and GZDoom allow this.

Edited by Darch

Posted (edited)

Found a "glitched" texture in map 12. It's at the very north-eastern corner of the map, it shifts up and down as the ceiling is moving. It's the light blue one the gun is pointing at

image.png.34f63bbff45e2f03067bdbe399ab76b1.png

Posted (edited)

Ah, still taking reports? A couple little things:

-Map 12 in the crusher sequence, there was a lower wall tex that was bobbing up and down with the crushers, I only saw it when I looked behind me. It looks like it's linedef 1955 -- in the editor, it shows it as being both upper and lower unpegged, whereas it looks like most of the crusher-adjacent lower textures actually aren't unpegged at all. Hope that actually helps! (lol, ninja'd by the above poster)

-The night city map (map 22?), the ending was so abrupt that I didn't get to look out and see the view of the lighthouse. Maybe move the exit linedef out somewhere along the boardwalk rather than in the doorway?

Anyway, enjoying this a lot! Love the aesthetics and the varied locales.

1 hour ago, Not Jabba said:

Ah, still taking reports?

Yes, thanks! I haven't uploaded it to IDGames yet, and there will be a co-op version without the music changers.

Unfortunately, if I move that exit line a bit further, I'll have to build an entire scenario outside of that building, especially if players decide to look back.

1 hour ago, bowserknight said:

Found a "glitched" texture in map 12. It's at the very north-eastern corner of the map, it shifts up and down as the ceiling is moving. It's the light blue one the gun is pointing at 

Fixed, thanks! 

Here's another glitchy texture thing I found: On Map 28, I went through the Northern part, the bridge with several crushers, then returned to this staircase close to the red key area. Suddenly there were hella glitched crushers here, with missing textures on all sides (you can't see it too well in the picture, but I tried). There's like 2-3 big crushers next to each other without any textures.

image.png.fcd7246664b8968d4cb336853b787815.png

On 5/26/2024 at 7:27 PM, Darch said:

Wrong sector tag  :P

Fixed, thanks!

So when's Pirate Doom 3: The Search for More Booty? (joking)

Jokes aside, Pirate Doom 2 is even better than Pirate Doom 1.

I would already be OK with an MBF version of PD1 (one that also works without GZDoom). Otherwise... this is god-tier.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, NightFright said:

Material for a polished v1.1 release:
8 cleaned-up STCFN font lumps which had black or brown pixels on them.

pd2_fontfix.zip

Thank you! I've replaced those graphics and included you in the credits.

3 hours ago, Master O said:

So when's Pirate Doom 3: The Search for More Booty? (joking)

Pirate Doom 3: Call of Booty

1 hour ago, Darch said:

Thank you! I've replaced those graphics and included you in the credits.

Pirate Doom 3: Call of Booty

Pirate Doom 3: Life's a Beach

Wait, that's one already taken...

Posted (edited)

So I just started playing this tonight (just played through Maps 1-4 now) and for some reason, MAP01 and MAP02 were showing no secrets for me... however in a playthrough I'm watching, there is 1 secret in each of those maps.

I'm wondering what exactly might be causing that lol. Playing on GZDoom v4.12.1

1 hour ago, Chozo Ghost said:

So I just started playing this tonight (just played through Maps 1-4 now) and for some reason, MAP01 and MAP02 were showing no secrets for me... however in a playthrough I'm watching, there is 1 secret in each of those maps.

You have an older version of the WAD, many secrets were left untagged in the beta but were tagged in the update.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Shepardus said:

You have an older version of the WAD, many secrets were left untagged in the beta but were tagged in the update.

Oh interesting... wondering where I downloaded that from, because the file says it's version 1.0. I'll download directly from here and see if that helps lol

EDIT: It did! Many thanks! The .zip files having the same name was really throwing me off, haha

Edited by Chozo Ghost

I can't find the last secret in level 15 "Forbidden Land", I found 7 of 8 of the most obvious... but after no clipping and flying all over the places for ages I can't find it! xD

Pls help me! ;_;

Not sure what secret you missed, but

Spoiler

try walking back right after you enter the big tree

Glad to see this is updated, had to delete a bunch of wads I picked up a while back for space on my compooter, older version of pd went with a bunch of others sadly...pirate DOOM is a good time, I remember everything being well balanced in the maps I got through.

1 hour ago, Darch said:

Not sure what secret you missed, but

Hide contents

try walking back right after you enter the big tree

Ok I can list what I have!

Spoiler

I have the tree secret (spinach) and also the shovel secret

I have the invul near the "temple"

I have the secret by going near the supercharge pretty close the the starting location

I have the spinach one of the sides near the elevator before the rising stairs

I have the secret exit ofc

I have the secret from going over the walls near the rising pillars with the grog gun thing xD

So... what's the last one? :O

Spoiler

It's a switch behind some bushes, almost directly in front of the yellow key switch that opens the big tree area. It lowers a platform nearby.

3 minutes ago, Darch said:
  Hide contents

It's a switch behind some bushes, almost directly in front of the yellow key switch that opens the big tree area. It lowers a platform nearby.

Thank you, I finally did it! :D

Don't think I left my thoughts on the wad here before. I have to say this is one of my absolute favorite sets of the past few years. The pace is brisk and the atmosphere is consistently enchanting in a fashion that reminds me of Super Mayhem 17. The bite sized levels really strike a chord with me, its the type of wad you can knock out in a night and be ready to play again the next. Brilliant stuff. Thank you so much for releasing this.

Would there be any way to package this in a standard Zip as opposed to a Rar file? I find those so hard to manage and they often require a separate download just to open.

Really excited to give this a try, since the first one is the kind of polished, creative goofiness that just makes you smile.

On 8/17/2024 at 8:23 AM, 666shooter said:

Would there be any way to package this in a standard Zip as opposed to a Rar file? I find those so hard to manage and they often require a separate download just to open.

Really excited to give this a try, since the first one is the kind of polished, creative goofiness that just makes you smile.

You also can't upload .rar files to the idgames archive for preservation.