Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AmethystViper

Doom 3: BFG Edition on GOG.com is still missing the 240Hz update

Posted (edited)

I did a clean re-install of the GOG.com version of Doom 3: BFG Edition, and unlike the Steam version as well as the 2019 Panic Button version of Doom 3 on Microsoft Store and Epic Games Store which all received this new update that I think came around January 2023. The GOG.com options still only limits to only 60 or 120 framerate cap while the other storefront versions instead gives you different resolution options with varying refresh rates supported by the display.

Speaking of the Epic Games Store version, I was hoping it was going to be DRM-free as some users on PC Gaming Wiki reported that Doom I and II Enhanced can be played without the client running, but for Doom 3 (2019), despite being completely singleplayer compared to BFG Edition on Steam which became DRM-free and still has its multiplayer features, I found out the Epic Games version requires the client to run the game. Even the -EpicPortal command-line parameter causes the game to return an error message instead of booting into the game. Something else I noticed when I got the Epic Games version of Doom 3 is that it appears to be the only one with a 64-bit executable whereas the other BFG Edition versions I own use a 32-bit executable. I could be pretty OCD about this, but I feel like there's a lack of parity between these versions of Doom 3: BFG Edition and Doom 3 (2019) on different storefronts that each have their nitpicks (for lack of a better word) that I've found. It would be nice if possibly the Steam and GOG.com owners of BFG Edition could have access to the 64-bit version of Doom 3 (2019) with the 240 Hz update on all PC platforms.

A quick comparison:

• DOOM 3: BFG Edition (Steam): DRM-free (after the January 2023 update), uses a 32-bit executable, has multiplayer and embedded versions of DOOM I and II, supports up to 240 Hz (after the January 2023 update)
  • DOOM 3: BFG Edition (GOG.com): DRM-free, uses a 32-bit executable, has no multiplayer (at least not out of the box) but includes the embedded versions of DOOM I and II, limited to 60 or 120 Hz
  • DOOM 3 (2019, Microsoft Store): Requires client to run, uses a 32-bit executable, singleplayer only, does not include DOOM I or II (although they already have standalone Enhanced versions available), supports up to 240 Hz
  • DOOM 3 (2019, Epic Games Store): Requires client to run (even the -EpicPortal parameter does not work), uses a 64-bit executable, singleplayer only, standalone similarly to the Microsoft Store version, supports up to 240 Hz
Edited by AmethystViper : Adding a brief comparison for each version.

Posted (edited)

For many developers, GOG.com is considered a platform where you just drop your old games, forget about them and get some income. For example, I didn't manage to launch S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl from there and ended up applying pirate fixes. 

Nice comparison, BTW. I can't think of any other game than Doom 3, which would have such differences across platforms

Edited by Dimon12321