Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mnb

Recommend me old good wads

Posted (edited)

I'm looking for old wads but with new stuff like textures, enemies, sounds that are worthy to play like Scythe 2, Scythe x, etc.

Just old wads because i need them to work fine with doom inside dosbox.

Check out STRAIN -- it's a great classic, with new enemies and resources galore. Still holds up today. ;)

Also give REKKR a go -- also fantastic, an entirely new game in the engine, technically made in relatively-modern times but it runs in DOS so it fits the bill ;)

Posted (edited)

I had just typed out a whole list before realizing you need WADs which are vanilla compatible, well there goes my list :p

If you haven't played it already, I can recommend Alien Vendetta. Not much to offer in terms of new enemies, textures and sound, but it's an absolute classic nonetheless, and it served as inspiration for many other projects with its influence being felt in the decades that came after.

In a similar fashion, the Hell Revealed series also proved to be very influential but again doesn't have much to offer in terms of custom content. Either way it's also an absolute classic that warrants at least a cursory look at the maps and gameplay being offered.

Memento Mori and the sequels are also a great play if you want to do some co-op multiplayer as the whole wad is practically designed around it, but you can still tackle it alone and have a great time regardless. It has a custom soundtrack as well as far as I recall.

Edit: I haven't tried any of these in actual Vanilla Doom under DOSBox, but in theory all of them should be vanilla compatible.

Posted (edited)

The Official Add-ons for Doom, Memento Mori 1&2, Requiem, Community Chests, and a lot of the Top 100 Wads of all time should be what you are looking for. Dunno if Knee Deep in "Knee Deep in Zdoom" Works with Dosbox

Spoiler

Feels kinda bad to associate The List with everything and anything, but you could also try some of the older Wads on it

Edited by Helton342

Alien Vendetta, Scythe, Hell Revealed, and Requiem but don't use the vanilla exe or it will bomb out if you attempt to save in some maps. Either use Boom v2.02 or some save game limit removing version. It's out there.

1 hour ago, Helton342 said:

Dunno if Knee Deep in "Knee Deep in Zdoom" Works with Dosbox

KDiKDiZD should work in dosbox, just have to apply the dehacked patch. Though you'll also probably want to use Doom32 with it for better performance and no savegame crashes.

Obituary is a great classic I don't see people mention too often, even though it was featured in the Top 100 WADs of All Time list.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, esselfortium said:

KDiKDiZD should work in dosbox, just have to apply the dehacked patch. Though you'll also probably want to use Doom32 with it for better performance and no savegame crashes.

My thought process was that the OP wanted to use pure DosBox without any further modifications for a more "Pure vanilla" experience. So that's why i asked.

I know Doomkid made a Great Video about the topic.

Spoiler

But to ask further and go a bit off-topic... How far can we really push it until it is not really vanilla? like does something like DeHackEd which mostly is just a Doom Editor count as Non-vanilla, does removing limits with executables such as Doom2+ or Doom32 count as non-vanilla. Does using "Official" Source ports like Boom, & the Unity count as non-vanilla? It feels in a similar vein to asking "Where do you draw the line between a pet and food" and "If you accepted A, surely you would accept B, if you Accepted A and B, the surely you would accept C... If you accepted everything else, why wouldn't you accept Z?"

6 hours ago, esselfortium said:

something like that exists for legacy doom? i have some bad performance sometimes in bigger wads

i use legacy doom inside dosbox/retroarch because i like to upscale the game to 640x480

5 hours ago, mnb said:

something like that exists for legacy doom? i have some bad performance sometimes in bigger wads

i use legacy doom inside dosbox/retroarch because i like to upscale the game to 640x480

Does it not work in Doom Legacy? it's pretty complex for a vanilla wad but it should work with any port that supports DeHackEd and the loading of multiple wad files

Then again the first time I tried out Legacy was when trying out Ray Mohawk's Manic Monday, and that lagged so bad on my machine that I almost immediately swore off that port

(but also I'd def recommend any CP Doomkid ran. Especially Rowdy Rudy II: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doomkid#Body_of_work)

21 hours ago, DSC said:

Obituary is a great classic I don't see people mention too often, even though it was featured in the Top 100 WADs of All Time list.

Seconding Obituary, fantastic wad. One of my favorite Ultimate Doom wads. 

Alien Vendetta and Scythe have been mentioned a bunch, both fantastic wads. I think Scythe is limit removing though, so watch out for that if playing on DOS. 

I'm going to throw a more goofy suggestion and offer Pandora? It's a wad I worked on, so I'm biased, but it's a fun, lighthearted megawad of old, janky styles made in the modern day. It was a lot of fun, and the team put out some solid levels. 

Also check out 2022 A Doom Oddyesy by @pcorf and his crew. I believe it's either Boom or MBF compatible, but those ports work on DOS. It's really solid classic Ultimate Doom levels, with interesting episode themes. I especially loved Episode 3, I tested this wad pretty heavily in beta, it was a lot of fun!