Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AllenB

2002 A Doom Odyssey on Doomsday

Posted (edited)

Will 2002 A Doom Odyssey - 10th Anniversary Edition run on Doomsday? I've tried replacing the standard WAD, and making a new profile. I hear it needs a Boom compatible sourceport..?

Well, it was Paul who was the leader, but I do think it's safe for me to say, that we didn't implement any Boom features in it. So, all you really need from the sourceport when playing it is something that prevents savegame buffers from exploding and something to prevent visplane overflows. I think that's pretty much it, so Doomsday should be more than fine. I would test it to 100% sure, but for some reason Doomsday won't start on my PC. Trying to figure out what gives. I am a bit curious though as I had completely forgotten about that sourceport. Not many people here on DW talk about it or use it I think.

I appreciate your response, Chris. I have made progress.

I chose Doomsday for running on Linux, it also does a good job with Heretic and Hexen. I got the WAD from here - https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/megawads/2002ad10

This is what Doomsday says about this WAD. Considering what you've told me I'm just rolling with it for now..

303440333_Screenshotfrom2024-04-2410-05-37.png.d635f673726100ce0d6608c4766ddd62.png

I find it will run through Doomsday via Freedoom. In my limited understanding, Freedoom is based on PrBoom+, the Linux Boom port.

1713704172_Screenshotfrom2024-04-2410-07-57.png.7ddbb4ea24b11388d5112b00b1caf8da.png

15 minutes ago, AllenB said:

I find it will run through Doomsday via Freedoom. In my limited understanding, Freedoom is based on PrBoom+, the Linux Boom port.

From your screenshot it appears you have Doom II but not Doom 1/Ultimate Doom. 2002ADO is made for Ultimate Doom.

Freedoom is a set of IWADs, i.e. a replacement for doom.wad, not doom.exe or Doomsday or PrBoom+. Your Linux distro's package manager may have packaged Freedoom with a source port, and that source port may be PrBoom+ or some other port, but Freedoom itself is not a source port. "Phase 1" is the Freedoom version of Ultimate Doom (doom.wad), which is why you can run 2002ADO with it. "Phase 2" is the Freedoom version of Doom II (doom2.wad).

By the way, PrBoom+ is no longer maintained. It's been succeeded by dsda-doom. Some distros have a package available for dsda-doom, and building from source is also an option. There are also a variety of other source ports available for Linux, such as Woof (which has an AppImage available so it should be easy to run on most Linux systems), GZDoom (has Ubuntu packages, a portable build, and a Flatpak if you have Flatpak set up on your system), and really, most source ports can be run on Linux, though how many of them have prebuilt binaries available varies by distro.

Ah, I wasn't seeing 2002 at all, that was Freedoom. Back to square one.

Doomsday does do Doom I, I'd just been messing with that slot trying to get this to work.

I have DSDA installed. It seems to run this WAD but I get a HOM at the start, so I assume it has a problem with some textures. Since there's other setup I'd have to learn, I might just try Woof and GZDoom before I go too much further.

dsda-doom should be able to run the WAD. I can't think of a reason you'd be getting a HOM at the start... How are you running it? Command line? Through a launcher? Command line would look something like "dsda-doom -iwad doom.wad -file 2002ad10.wad"

That makes more sense, and it works. 

I now have dsda-doom set up 80% of how I like it, so I'm sure it's capable, and it looks good. GL gives plenty of FPS.

Now that I've taken the time to cover a handful of levels in 2002, I'm liking it. Professional feel, background tracks, good level sizes. I like the gameplay.