Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vanilla_d00m

Games too scary you can’t play..

I personally don't like first-person survival horror games - as in, games where something is actively hunting you, or trying to kill you.

I prefer the 'psychological horror' sub-genre where things take on more of a 'haunted house' type feel - you know, like 'wow this is scary, but nothing in this game can kill my character, so there's nothing to worry about' kind of games.

I do like third-person survival horror, like the Silent Hill series, and Clock Tower 3, though.

I'll still play a first-person survival horror game, but very rarely, I get too immersed, and jump out of my skin at every jump scare.

No game is scary enough.

But the first Silent Hill got me impressed. Just a bit...

2 minutes ago, Aeddes666 said:

No game is scary enough.

But the first Silent Hill got me impressed. Just a bit...

Also, an old Genesis game called "The Immortal".

LameDuke (Duke Nukem 3D) on a faster processor. The protozoid slimers in the first level gave me a heart attack due to the fact that the game ran too fast. The pistol shoots like a UZI though which is kind of funny.

Minecraft. That game always scares me. When I see a mobs like creeper or zombies I'm gonna freak.

Nothing scary I played much really. Lol it might sound very stupid but Doom 2 was enough scary for me when I first played it almost 15 years ago. I remember each level I passed so slowly that some even took weeks (one or two took even month and I was very sick) to just exit, let alone exploring the secrets or other parts. Each level I explored and met new things it was all exciting but scary as hell. The Cyberdemon was the most scariest of all.

Posted (edited)

I thought that I was brave enough to play every horror game in existence, but then I launched Slender: The Eight Pages, heard menu music, and deleted the game, because music already made me shit in my pants, :D
To this day I'm afraid to play every Slenderman game... I can only watch someone's LPs but playing it myself - hell no!

Also, I wouldn't play old Minecraft if my only choice was to play it with low render distance, it's already spooky and liminal in its own way, not mentioning Herobrine legend, but with the old fog it turns into literal horror alike Silent Hill, if not worse.

On 5/18/2024 at 11:44 AM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

The only one that ever came close was Fatal Frame 2 when it came out.

Fatal Frame 2 is the least scariest for me, it’s also easy.  The first one still scares me and it’s really hard..

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 12:21 AM, vanilla_d00m said:

I always wanted to try and beat Wolfenstein 3-D but it’s just too scary for me.  One of my cousins installed it on my parents old computer when I was in elementary school.  All I remember was hearing beeps and rings and weird computer sounds.

Years later.. turns out the computer couldn’t handle the games audio or something after researching stuff online.  So it did that instead.  When I saw it on the YouTube video with the games audio and music playing, I got a little scared.  It sounds soo old and scary!

I want to beat it one day because I played it back then and it came before DOOM.

https://www.gog.com/en/game/wolfenstein_3d

https://www.gog.com/forum/wolfenstein_series/helpful_wolfenstein_3d_sourceport_and_discord_links

---

If you still want to go the DOS route:

https://dosbox-staging.github.io/#feature-highlights

https://dosbox-staging.github.io/getting-started/introduction/

Dosbox-Staging FAQ: Where Is the Config File?

Dosbox-Staging Wiki: How Do I Configure a DOS Game's Sound, Music, and Controls?

Dosbox-Staging Wiki: How Do I Enable a DOS Game's CD Audio?

Dosbox-Staging Wiki: Fixing Choppy Video in Full Screen Mode

Dosbox-Staging - Discord Chat Channel

@vanilla_d00m

1)  PT yes I knew all about it when it came up even the Easter Egg of her being attached to your back....no thanks.

2)  FNAF love the songs, love watching people like Markiplier and Jack Septiceye play them but not for me

I LOVE HORROR GAMES, I HATE JUMP SCARES IT COMPLETELY IGNORES WHAT MAKES HORROR GAMES SO FUN!

Some of my favorites:

Silent Hill 2 (the constant feeling of dread and not knowing what's around the corner the psychological aspect)

Resident Evil (yes there are Resident Evil games that maybe more fun than others but in all honesty all of them capture the core spirit of fighting to survive living off of basically nothing to survive while surrounded by the thing trying to kill you)

Condemned Criminal Origins ( though not a game that gets talked about by many people the psychological aspect of this game always had you nervous for what was around every corner)

I don't even mind jumpscares in well-established horror games but don't throw me something that's literal identity is nothing but jump scaring people that's complete garbage to me that doesn't make me dread what's around every corner that makes me turn the volume down and wait to get mad about something lol

Can't finish Aka Manto, funny thing is I finished every other Chilla's Art game including Yuki Onna which is basically the same game as Aka Manto but for some reason the game is way harder and the sound effects are too overwhelming to me.

14 hours ago, LegendaryEevee said:

I LOVE HORROR GAMES, I HATE JUMP SCARES IT COMPLETELY IGNORES WHAT MAKES HORROR GAMES SO FUN!

14 hours ago, LegendaryEevee said:

I don't even mind jumpscares in well-established horror games but don't throw me something that's literal identity is nothing but jump scaring people that's complete garbage to me that doesn't make me dread what's around every corner that makes me turn the volume down and wait to get mad about something lol

It really depends. In general, I agree, but jumpscares can be used effectively. They just usually aren't, and a lot of shitty indie walking-sim horror games rely on them even though the games are supposedly psychological horror. But Outlast is a good example of using jumpscares effectively and appropriately, they put thought into them and built the game around them. As a result, they're actually intense sometimes, and they add something to the game. Most jumpscares in games AND movies just cover up an otherwise shallow experience. For a good example of how a jumpscare looks when more than ten seconds of thought was put into it, check out Exorcist 3!

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

but jumpscares can be used effectively. They just usually aren't,

100% Agree!  One of the games I listed as one of my favorite Horror Games ever made was Condemned Criminal Origins.  Basically you are a Crime Scene Investigator with the FBI investigating what you believe to be a serial killer causing havoc in the city.  This is a jump scare (don't worry it's not loud or crazy).  But notice the setup they use.  You think something's going to happen but when you take the picture you're relieved when it didn't. 

Most of the game you're investigating crime scenes similar to this if not more bloody and nothing out of the ordinary ever happens

But then of course you're asked for a close up then you know this isn't your normal investigation.  This is what I think is well done you think one thing, it doesn't happen and when you think you're in the clear, you aren't!

Edited by LegendaryEevee

@LegendaryEevee Yeah lol that scene is pretty famous, I remember it from a long time ago. In fact, besides playing a demo for the sequel (which I heard wasn't as good? It seemed alright to me) that's the only experience I have with the series. It's a perfect example of a good jump scare. Another one is the ganado jumping out of the oven in Resident Evil 4, because it's impossible to predict and also because nothing else like that really happens much during the game. Sticking with Monolith, the ladder jump scare in FEAR is another good one.

I think that jump scares overall were working pretty well in videogames until all those "this game is so intense you have no weapons and wander around bumfuck nowhere interacting with nothing very slowly until someone pops up and yells at the screen while you solve a puzzle a miscarried baby could figure out also our story is so deep trust me" games started popping up left and right. Even Outlast isn't that great of an actual game, the walking sim horror things are intolerable to me. I still want a refund for the time I wasted on Layers of Fear. None of them that I've played have a plot anywhere near good enough to make up for the lack of gameplay or even basic interactivity, and that little sub-genre has to have the highest amount of pretentious bullshit writing than any other genre. They all give me the impression that they were made because the developers had no other skills besides audiovisual design. And even then, they rarely excell at it.

2 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I think that jump scares overall were working pretty well in videogames until all those "this game is so intense you have no weapons and wander around bumfuck nowhere interacting with nothing very slowly until someone pops up and yells at the screen while you solve a puzzle a miscarried baby could figure out also our story is so deep trust me" games started popping up left and right. 

This brought a tear to my eye.  It's absolute Poetry my friend XD  What would you say are some modern scary games worth their weight?  It crushed me that Silent Hill went under I lived only 7 hours from the city it was based on (Centralia, PA) and was my favorite for this kind of stuff.  My current tradition around each Halloween is all of the Resident Evil games.  Definately like to know some new games that still know what being a true Horror Game really is.

Posted (edited)

I can't play MyHouse.wad again.  Not without feeling very uncomfortable.

Edit: I saw lots of jump scare talk, so I wanted to leave this scene from Mulholland Drive.  It's a slow burn, so be patient.  It's one of the most unique jump scares ever.  You see it coming from a mile away and it still gets ya. It's weird in a weird way.

Spoiler

Edited by EraserheadBaby

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 6:35 AM, Master O said:

Thank you Master O, It's definitely a better idea to buy the game.  I owned alot of the DOOM games on PC CD's but I sold them, I thought I was done playing.  Untill I saw the release of SIGIL 2.  Had to order more Rugby travel sickness tablets (to stop motion sickness from these types of games) to play and beat that one.  SIGIL 1 was better IMHO. 

6 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

Thank you Master O, It's definitely a better idea to buy the game.  I owned alot of the DOOM games on PC CD's but I sold them, I thought I was done playing.  Untill I saw the release of SIGIL 2.  Had to order more Rugby travel sickness tablets (to stop motion sickness from these types of games) to play and beat that one.  SIGIL 1 was better IMHO. 

One other thing about the GOG Release of Wolfenstein 3D: Although it does include Spear of Destiny, it does not include the other two mission packs: Return to Danger and Ultimate Challenge.  I assume those two mission packs were removed due to licensing issues, as they were not made by ID Software, but Formgen.

Posted (edited)

Well.. I got to map 7 so far on Dont Hurt Me setting.  It was really hard, I got lost most of the time.  There is no way to check the MAP??  If there is one..

I also don’t feel like playing again. I was recording 1hr and 30mins of my gameplay since I never played through this game.  The mp4 file got corrupted and I’m really bummed right now.

Share X screen recording..

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, vanilla_d00m said:

Well.. I got to map 7 so far on Dont Hurt Me setting.  It was really hard, I got lost most of the time.  There is no way to check the MAP??  If there is one..

I also don’t feel like playing again. I was recording 1hr and 30mins of my gameplay since I never played through this game.  The mp4 file got corrupted and I’m really bummed right now.

Share X screen recording..

The Wolf3D source port ECWolf has an automap.  Press TAB to access it.

https://maniacsvault.net/ecwolf/download.php

Posted (edited)

Would it be cheating?  You really die quick in this game, thought the first couple of maps (floors) would be a breeze.  Shure wasn’t on the easy setting.

I finally played the game!   it was fun and confusing at the same time.

If you still want to play the game on DOS(Box) but with butter-and-bread improvements, you might want to check out Wolfenstein 3D - Definitive Edition. Currently only a 5-level demo exists, but it requires the original Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny files to work.

I want to play it again and finish it.  I just need a desktop recording program that won’t corrupt or fail on me after recording.  I’m trying to make money making game playthroughs hence the recording thing.  If that’s against the rules here, I won’t post links to my videos then.

It shure is hard though, I’ve made over 300 game playthroughs and made nothing yet.  And no… it isn’t YouTube.

Opposite end of the spectrum. 

I play Amnesia the Dark Descent a couple times a year as a comfort game because I love the old castle so much. 

On 6/9/2024 at 6:38 PM, EraserheadBaby said:

Amnesia the Dark Descent

That game knows its pacing; it knows horror is ultimately smoke and mirrors and uses that to its strength. The initial oppression you experience is cleansed by the near-immaculate atmosphere of the Back Hall... then you enter Storage with its strange darkness -- and I stopped playing for an entire year

All the Exmortis games, those games are too much.  Watching Markiplier @ Youtube playthrough the first one made the game less scary.

R---lay that other gore r word game etc etc not really scary but downright sadistic

Idk about some scary games tbh old games you used to play but are completely devoid of players is what id say