Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shroomzy5000

CATHEDRAL [Supercharge] - MY 2ND RELEASE

Nice map!

I played in HMP difficulty, kinda hard if you ask me. (if it weren't for my poor skills, I'd say medium)

Spoiler

The section with the insane quantity of cyberdemons really lags a lot.

Like, I know my PC isn't the best, the hardware is quite old, but just saying here anyways.

Besides trying to explore much as I can(playtime nearly worth a hour!), didn't find all the secrets.

Nonetheless, had fun playing!

Screenshot_Doom_20240513_140824.png.f02b0eb47021443314278aa98cc37dba.png

3 hours ago, fell-z said:

Nice map!

I played in HMP difficulty, kinda hard if you ask me. (if it weren't for my poor skills, I'd say medium)

Hide contents

The section with the insane quantity of cyberdemons really lags a lot.

Like, I know my PC isn't the best, the hardware is quite old, but just saying here anyways.

Besides trying to explore much as I can(playtime nearly worth a hour!), didn't find all the secrets.

Nonetheless, had fun playing!

Screenshot_Doom_20240513_140824.png.f02b0eb47021443314278aa98cc37dba.png

Thank you this is valuable information to me.  The oldest hardware one of my play testers has is an 9th gen i5 with a 1070 gfx card and it ran at 60-100fps the whole time so this was definitely an oversight on my end.  I promise you its the number of rockets in the map.. That many rockets is probably overkill and the same effect could probably be achieved with like 20 cyber demons.

My last map had like 3x more enemies in it than this map so I didnt make the connection that the amount of rockets they spawn raises the amount of entities the game has to process into the thousands untill you mention it.

I will work on this

I ended up having to stop in the titular room with the plasma rifle because I couldn't see what the switch by it triggered beyond an ambush and it had been close to half an hour. That was quite a hostile beginning though!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I ended up having to stop in the titular room with the plasma rifle because I couldn't see what the switch by it triggered beyond an ambush and it had been close to half an hour. That was quite a hostile beginning though!

Thank you so much for your time and the review.  I was definitely made sour by all the really good doom players who basically just waltz thru my first map on UV so i guess you could say i studied at the school of sigil when it came to balancing this one.  the gap between HMP and UV is absolutely ridiculous.

Also, yes unfortunately you are softlocked in the cathedral until all encounters within are cleared - how you progress thru those encounters, in what order, and with what weapons is up to you and how much you want to explore and experiment with the map!

I didn't see this in the video so i do want to leave a hint here.  There is a CRUTIAL discovery the player must learn to survive the church.  I hint at it along the way, but it becomes glaringly apparent that health pick-ups don't exist in the map (outside of megaspheres and soulpheres in secrets) once you enter the church.  This is deliberate and by design.

Edited by shroomzy5000

Just now, shroomzy5000 said:

I didn't see this in the video so i do want to leave a hint here.  There is a CRUTIAL discovery the player must learn to survive the church.  I hint at it along the way, but it becomes glaringly apparent that health pick-ups don't exist in the map (outside of megaspheres and soulpheres in secrets) once you enter the church.  This is deliberate and by design.

I did end up seeing that and it certainly made the initial cathedral fight difficult. Although I killed the flame barons in the corners as well as everyone else so maybe something just broke *shrug*

1 hour ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I did end up seeing that and it certainly made the initial cathedral fight difficult. Although I killed the flame barons in the corners as well as everyone else so maybe something just broke *shrug*

Looks like everything is working as intended, I am asking the player to do some undoomlike things and not conveying that very well.  I have updated this post with a little riddle to help guide future players :) I think ill probably work that into the map itself on UV in a future update

This looks awesome man, seriously. It totally gives me some strong Warhammer 40K vibes, and I'm all for it. I'm just now getting ready to check out your UAC Blacksite map first though.

2 minutes ago, Shulbocka said:

This looks awesome man, seriously. It totally gives me some strong Warhammer 40K vibes, and I'm all for it. I'm just now getting ready to check out your UAC Blacksite map first though.

Sick brother, tbh youll have a much better time than anyone who played it on release.  I went back a couple weeks ago and fixed all the kinks that came up after launch and rebalanced the map with supercharge in mind :)

After a bloody 1 and a half hour of playtime i beat it!

Amazing map! it looked very well and nice! the detail was incredible! from the start to the end i was realizing small things and i was going "Hey, thats a pretty cool addition to the map!", The effort that went into this is immeasurable! great job!

This is an solid 8.7/10 map!

so fun and challenging!

3 hours ago, Patrick_Plays_Doom said:

After a bloody 1 and a half hour of playtime i beat it!

Amazing map! it looked very well and nice! the detail was incredible! from the start to the end i was realizing small things and i was going "Hey, thats a pretty cool addition to the map!", The effort that went into this is immeasurable! great job!

This is an solid 8.7/10 map!

so fun and challenging!

I tried to make it shorter, rather than throwing 800 monsters at you like I did in UAC Blacksite, using more calulated encounters and pairing specfic enemy types against the player.  I think the supercharge mod really added alot in terms of monster variety.  I guess in the end it had little effect on the play time though lol

1 hour ago, shroomzy5000 said:

I think the supercharge mod really added alot in terms of monster variety. 

yeah, i agree, either way supercharge was the best mod you chose to go along this map, it made it feel real real lively!

Finally got around to this. This was great! I loved the visuals and some of the effects. There was one part where I had to freeze gameplay because the lag from all the cyberdemon missiles was making it unplayable, though that was probably just my gameplay mod. Stuff like the unique secret area affect are little details that stand out.

On 8/9/2024 at 12:03 PM, Riclo500 said:

Finally got around to this. This was great! I loved the visuals and some of the effects. There was one part where I had to freeze gameplay because the lag from all the cyberdemon missiles was making it unplayable, though that was probably just my gameplay mod. Stuff like the unique secret area affect are little details that stand out.

thanks so much for checking it out - the lag is my fault.  cyber demon room on average has between 2-3000 rockets rendered at a time.  I learned my lesson here.  Goodtiming, 3rd map should be out soon!  Glad you enjoyed!  Next map should be much kinder when it comes to computer demand.  I have a really good pc so the cyber demon room was a complete oversight :( at the same time, 20 cyber demons wouldve achieve the same effect of blowing up the bridge i wanted so putting like over 120 down there was really un nessecary.  What i was trying to do is create a fireworks effect when you looked down.. like you walked in, heard a ton of cyber demons wake up, look down and just see a firing squad of rockets going off.  turns out that was not the experience of most people lol