Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DistroyA

My first published PWAD; Hell Infection

Posted (edited)

Hi there. I recently uploaded my first finished PWAD, and thought I'd advertise it here, with some piccie-wics.

Context; a close friend of mine suggested I get back into mapping at a time I was in a depressive funk, and, after downloading Doom Builder 2, the end result is this map. It was going to be part of a megawad for Ultimate Doom, but since I realised that the limited monster roster and the lack of super shotty made the game somewhat dull after a while, I abandoned the idea, but decided to upload the map for archival purposes, and to show off what I can do design-wise.

The WAD: I fell in love with The Shores Of Hell for its mix of techbase and hellish corruption, and wanted to start with E2M1 as a result, and tried my best to emulate that idea in my own way. Admittedly, some of the rooms are a wee bit cramped, but it's a learning experience. I added extra details, such as missing tiles in floors and geometry around lights and such, just to give it a bit more flair. Difficulty wise, I'd say it's somewhere between OG E2M1 and E4M1. There is a nasty surprise or two, and I've made the secrets quite difficult to find (inspired by the likes of BTSX and such WADs).

Specifics:

• Doom Format (Vanilla)
  • Tested in Chocolate Doom (Feel free to use something crisper looking)
  • Ultimate Doom
  • E2M1 (Single map)

Screenshots

DOOM00.png.8b4317ee66a630280a91280799779faa.png

DOOM01.png.e587a8f3bd4678486cd8711da418a853.png

DOOM02.png.5766ecd9003f6bb665a839032965c54d.png

DOOM03.png.393f5b63d197e6f4068e9ec3c5ffa1f3.png

DOOM04.png.294246290cfd98813e1b5558b90902a3.png

DOOM06.png.2d474b4b8a86f88a2b817b4c101f9e1e.png

DOOM07.png.2cdd0086bf4894c74c897806dd28a628.png

The WAD can be found here. Hope you enjoy. :)

Edited by DistroyA : Unnecessary extra wording, added link to WAD

2 minutes ago, DistroyA said:

a close friend of mine suggested I get back into mapping at a time I was in a depressive funk

Sounds like a good friend. ;)

Also, link?

1 minute ago, Jayextee said:

Sounds like a good friend. ;)

Also, link?

They certainly are ;)

Also, didn't think I'd need to link it. 😅 Will change that now.

An auspicious start to mapping!

This seems to be a much more polished version of the map of yours I played literal *years* ago, there's even the funky DOORTRAK trick I showed you. It's neat, feels like a pretty good episode-opener. I'm greedy and want to see more. :)

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

An auspicious start to mapping!

This seems to be a much more polished version of the map of yours I played literal *years* ago, there's even the funky DOORTRAK trick I showed you. It's neat, feels like a pretty good episode-opener. I'm greedy and want to see more. :)

At some point, I intend to make a start on a Doom 2 megawad. I'm also intending on making use of community made textures and MIDIs (with permission if necessary). I got a bunch of WADs to play through beforehand to get some inspiration. :)

11 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Oh hey, I remember this from /idgames!

Oh wow, that's incredible. So happy you downloaded it and made a vid out of it. :D Not gonna lie, I didn't anticipate anyone to notice before I advertised it in a thread 😅

HNTR 10:08 100K 95I 100S [IDDT used for plasma gun secret at end]

Bugs/random stuff:

Teleport lines visible on automap

Spoiler

doom15.png.d9172d26881ab043304e4286851f0fd7.png

Zombiemen not crossing into opening, monster-block line (intentional?)

Spoiler

doom16.png.4d46c62f4ea5c5ec5a393ae205c4a800.png

Weird texture effect on very bottom of linedef between two blue torches

Spoiler

doom17.png.3ec7ffd67fc33f946bce46c30cdd0ba5.png

Misaligned texture in this switch room

Spoiler

doom18.png.1883a2b751138748b13c6164d89fb8ba.png

Total Screen

Spoiler

doom19.png.71fca3434e13a1e645237dd03b292627.png

I've been playing a lot of the 1994 Cacoward winners so this was really fun. Good stuff friend!

Thanks for the feedback bioshockfan90. I'll address each in order: 

The teleport lines in the automap weren't noticed by myself as I only tested the map in Chocolate Doom. Honestly didn't know that was a thing. 😅

The monster block thing wasn't intentional sadly. I may have to rethink that way of making doors so they don't get stuck

IIRC, the weird texture effect was intentional. If not, it's a happy accident.

That misaligned texture was completely missed by myself. Probably because of how thicc the pixels are in vanilla/choc rendering.

Not sure if there are items that somehow got moved out of bounds, but the secrets still worked for you.

Thank you so much for the feedback and glad you enjoyed it. <3

Nice little E2 map, I'm always happy to jump in and play something like this. Agree that it feels like a nice episode opener.

Playthrough in Choco with a little bonus E2M2 punchfest:

I found one secret almost by accident, and I was sure I was close to another but couldn't quite get it. Unfortunately I ran into a bit of a congestion issue past the red door. If I'd had more health, I'd have been more confident to run into that corridor, but I didn't and it quickly built up into having to doorcamp pretty much the whole encounter. There was extra health and chaingun ammo in there, so perhaps chalk this up to me being tired and playing a little sloppy :p a few extra stimpacks on UV might mitigate this for anyone who finds themselves in the same position. Still, like you said, its a learning curve, and this is a strong first map that hits all the right classic vibes. 

Nice map, Doom 1 is memorable because of its simplicity and colorful design. Your level match very well with doom 1 style and looks good and it's detailed when needed and possible.

Recording (DSDA-Doom) attached of my clumsy playthrough 

px_hinf_recording.zip

Nice map, played it on keyboard only and doom.exe cause why not.

Not sure if it was because of the keyboard but it felt almost too hard for a first map of an episode.

Otherwise really nice detailing and flow to the map, had fun.

This level felt genuinely like classic Vanilla stuff. I loved it!