Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ghost_Ellis

Need Help With Title Map

Question

So, I'm trying to make a new Title Screen / Main Menu, and I have it setup

with one camera, and the elements such as "Options" etc., are just Mid textures.

How can I make it so the elements can be selected? Ig I mean, how can I make it so

the cursor can be used to select these things? I know I'll need to make copies of these elements

that look highlighted, I just don't know how to make it a selectable thing.

image.png.0018bada102c894f127b7596b9838fbd.png

11 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Ghost_Ellis said:

So, I'm trying to make a new Title Screen / Main Menu, and I have it setup

with one camera, and the elements such as "Options" etc., are just Mid textures.

How can I make it so the elements can be selected? Ig I mean, how can I make it so

the cursor can be used to select these things? I know I'll need to make copies of these elements

that look highlighted, I just don't know how to make it a selectable thing.

image.png.0018bada102c894f127b7596b9838fbd.png

Not sure if it's even possible... but I'm following this post in case it is because I attempted this in the past and gave up, opting for the standard menu setup instead and just using a cinematic map flythrough with the TITLEMAP instead.

Will let u know if I figure it out. Working theory so far is that I could use multiple cameras w silent teleports and instances w menus, so you'd click new game, and the cam wld pan over to that menu, which wld give another mid texture to click, which wld end level/teleport you to the next.

1 minute ago, Ghost_Ellis said:

Will let u know if I figure it out. Working theory so far is that I could use multiple cameras w silent teleports and instances w menus, so you'd click new game, and the cam wld pan over to that menu, which wld give another mid texture to click, which wld end level/teleport you to the next.

Yeah that could perhaps be achieved with ACS, but it's a bit beyond my scope of knowledge with it... but I'm definitely interested to see if it's actually possible.

I'm certain it is, I just do not have the brain power for it rn.

The issue will be how the player is able to select, but...idk. Maybe i'll look more into the Aiming Camera

2 hours ago, kalensar said:

This is going to be your main tool to make it easier as you can add graphics and position them. The MENUDEF file and format 

https://zdoom.org/wiki/MENUDEF

Examples:

Hide contents

1886971976_Screenshotfrom2024-05-2117-02-37.png.5c47c8e11705da790821fac70f4005a3.png

359299064_Screenshotfrom2023-06-1216-14-21.png.fa35d02cfb21894c9a9f1aca82071e38.png

I think the OP wants to make active menu selects from the MIDTEX graphics within the live TITLEMAP, not a standard Doom title menu.

5 minutes ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

I think the OP wants to make active menu selects from the MIDTEX graphics within the live TITLEMAP, not a standard Doom title menu.

Yeah, you can screen shot the scene from GZDoom loaded on that screen, and then cut out the words in Shop or GIMP or Paint, and make as a graphic that is referenced and placed Lined up on the screen with the Titlemap loaded using MENUDEF. The Words would be the correct size a referenced graphic for the cursor to point at. The screen cut words would each be different graphics PNG files and you can give them each the glow styled effect with PhotoShop or GIMP. 

The idea to navigate a Title as a Player Map style thing is unusual because of PlayerPawn issues.

5 minutes ago, kalensar said:

Yeah, you can screen shot the scene from GZDoom loaded on that screen, and then cut out the words in Shop or GIMP or Paint, and make as a graphic that is referenced and placed Lined up on the screen with the Titlemap loaded using MENUDEF. The Words would be the correct size a referenced graphic for the cursor to point at. The screen cut words would each be different graphics PNG files and you can give them each the glow styled effect with PhotoShop or GIMP.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, yes ok. I'm with you.
I see how the combination of TITLEMAP and MENUDEF would work in that instance now.
Champion!!

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

I see how the combination of TITLEMAP and MENUDEF would work in that instance now.

Rock on. Sometimes when you want something to happen a certain way the solution usually ends up looking like an illusionist escapade of fake card tricks done purely to trick the eyeball.

One more caveat to know: The Vanilla Doom Menu Words are not actually words drawn by the engine. They are referenced pictures. THis most noticeable on the DIfficulty selection section with NIGHTMARE being a unique font that is not a font at all, but a referenced graphic. Same for all the other choices as well,