Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted (edited)

My first time uploading here, so feel free to correct me on anything I get wrong

(copied from the .txt)

===========================================================================
Title                                : Ossuary
Filename                         : ossuary.WAD
Advanced engine needed  : GZDoom/ZDoom
Primary purpose              : Singleplayer
Author                            : Gavimator (Gavin)
Email Address           : gavindevaney13@gmail.com
Misc. Author Info       : This isn't my first map. I've been mapping on and off for around a year now, I'm no genius when it comes to mapping, but i know how to work a Doom editor.

Description             : Travel though an ancient catacombs, while on your way to the UAC base.

Additional Credits to   : 
===========================================================================

* Information *

Game                    : DOOM 2
Map #                   : Map01
Single Player           : Yes
Cooperative 2-4 Player  : No
Deathmatch 2-4 Player   : No
Difficulty Settings     : Not implemented
New Sounds              : No
New Graphics            : No
New Music               : No
Dehacked/BEX Patch      : No
Demos Replaced          : None

* Construction *

Base                    : New level from scratch
Build Time              : 2-3 days
Editor(s) used          : Ultimate Doom Builder
Known Bugs              : 
May Not Run With        : Anything non-UDMF compatible

* Copyright / Permissions *

Authors MAY use this level as a base to build additional
levels.  

You may do whatever you want with this file.

DOWNLOAD:

ossuary.zip

Screenshots:

Spoiler

1018447990_Screenshot2024-05-25195652.png.2e91d5f8ccaf642510de29bdd3a6b99e.png848694450_Screenshot2024-05-25195457.png.0ac533638e91989c4e90300b56eb9fa0.png1791786753_Screenshot2024-05-25195705.png.7ecc1a545fc1b9ee2e872644730cde10.png

Edited by Gavimator : updated the map

Fun, looks fine, plays fine, a little challenging and health and ammo wasn't hard to manage! good job!

Posted (edited)

Good fun, a bit rough design wise after the blue door, but not too bad.

Main feedback would be to test the maps as if you were playing it for the first time. It can be hard to empathize with a first time player when you know every intricate detail of the map you're making, but it's important to not expect the poor fella playing your map to know every move necessary to escape a trap.

Big fan of directional lighting, there were a few spots you did it to a good effect. Bloody door was cute.

Good stuff, keep it up!

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20240526_214529.png

Screenshot_Doom_20240526_214642.png

Pretty good! Texture alignment in the opening hallways at least is near-perfect, and you have a strong concept of a real place despite the exclusive use of vanilla textures.

Although the combat itself isn't really without its problems. In the titular region of the map, the teleportation that occurs when the blue key is picked up felt a touch awkward. While not playing aggressively will probably help here, there's something about running into a chaungunner flesh wall that is just so frickin aggravating. Not as much as the transparent former humans at the beginning of the ossuary which will send people flying into the wrong sort of conniptions.

While the Spectre ambush at the berserk pack seems excessive, I do like how that comes after dispatching a single zombieman.

Finally, the exit ambush is just too weird because the Revenants teleporting behind here are just so easy to evade. And the water hates you for some reason. I'd also suggest placing down some more rockets because this is also an awkward location to prevent infighting.

Another thing, the sergeants at the first window aren't all facing it, which I doubt you intended.

Still, it's far better than many first maps that are released here. Looking forward to more releases from you.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Not as much as the transparent former humans at the beginning of the ossuary which will send people flying into the wrong sort of conniptions.

Thanks for the feedback, the stealth zombiemen was a mistake I kept forgetting to fix. I agree though, Mock 2 has given me an eternal hatred for stealth enemies.

Edited by Gavimator

Posted (edited)

From watto3699's screenshot:

DhAglSS.jpg

I LOVE this look!In a map I'm completing now I use that skully texture in a "chute" with blood on the floors and bloodfalls down a few steps.
But in particular here, I love the little bit of red at the base of the skulls as blood, which works with the skull texture's bloody red vibe to make it look like blood has ooooooozed out onto the floor. Not too much of an effect, just enough to be perfect. Love it.

Spoiler

In comparison, now I feel mine is overdone:
LDqf83m.jpg

/shrug

That brown pillar on the left, since you said you're using Doom Builder, go into 3D edit mode, look-to-highlight one of those lines, and press "A".  That should align all of those brown textures so it doesn't look like each line is starting at 0,0 and thus will look less repetitive. (If Doom Builder decides that automatic alignment procedure also changes the brown bricks, then instead look at the brown brick texture to the left of the pillar and press "A" to preserve your brickwork.)

Edited by DiavoJinx

hi! just finished playing your map in [uv]. my take on it:

• structure too thin imo. perhaps could just make a small corner wall here.
    Spoiler

439220604_ossuary_01.structuretoothin.png.0227b016613f179e82d1f7501ced4098.png

• odd monster placement since the shotgunners could easily be sniped from the window. the same as the hell knights. perhaps could the shotgunners should face the windows set to [ambush players]. the hell knights are set up as [popup monsters] or via a [fast teleport closet] (the monsters are nearly instantaneously teleported, as opposed to a [slow teleport closet] where the monster has to move around to trigger linedefs to be teleported), so that they appear just before the player's los (line of sight) reach their position at the doorway. this gives the illusion that the room does not contain any hellknights when viewed from the windows, and they do not appear by teleport fog.
    Spoiler

293853862_ossuary_02.oddmonsterplacement.png.a13c0ef1e39b55a2d7d567b96d431c30.png

• i like this deco. kind of neat :)
    Spoiler

1498041657_ossuary_03.nicedeco.png.6bef949acf712eac3e4db72ca022c11b.png

• ... and i also like this deco here :)
    Spoiler

1130282674_ossuary_04.nicedeco.2.png.c945d565284e1be5d98a42802e0d6135.png

• imo, the pillars are too thin to support the boxy architecture. perhaps could make them slightly thicker.
    Spoiler

958091939_ossuary_05.pillarstoothin.png.abef1816d56e66caf2e6211aa926679e.png

• i could not finish with 100% kills due to monsters stuck in the closet. from udb, the archvile was stuck due to the floor being far too low for it to move forward to trigger the linedefs to be teleported. as for the hellknights, my brother and i have no idea. small note: since you are using [udmf], you do not need to use such monster closet design as in the map. you could just use a small box room with about 8-16 map units of space between the front wall and the monster for the monsters to move forward; the monster is activated by a [mapspot] thing with action 173 (alert monsters), and the walls of that small box room is set to teleport the monsters with activation [when monster bumps].
    Spoiler

1822179866_ossuary_06.monstersstillinteleportclosets.png.1b06cf31275698ee97956d64432a9eb7.png

imo, this is an awesome attempt for a first map. challenging too with the ammo starvation, archvile suddenly teleported from behind with little cover, etc. i also liked the secret room with the boxes of shells and medikits, and the trap within a trap at the berserk area. nicely done. thanks for making and sharing it, and i hope to see more maps from you since i like the simple yet engaging gameplay :)

Super fun! I absolutely loved it! Here is my full playthrough commentary on the map!

Great level, cool layout with the water.

Spoiler

Couldn't get 100% kills, an archvile and a bunch of hellknights were stuck in monster closets