Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Average

Phobos AEternum - Add some spice to Your Vanilla Experience!

M_DOOM.png.9e8681f29cb85167f1cf0f2637f7ef44.png

Eternal Doomguy is back on the job facing FEAR EVERLASTING. It's a dark and grimy graphic and sound featuring music created by BouncyTEM.  Evoking the atmosphere of Doom 64 and Doom 3, the gameplay remains the same but the mood is much more brooding and oppressive.  Embrace your inner emo!

Essentially a compilation of the hard work of others with lots of edits, tweaks and bits and pieces by me.  I wanted to make something that worked with my favourite maps and WAD's but gave everything a fresh coat of paint.  Let's face it, vanilla Doom is awesome but it can get a bit boring to look at after a couple of decades!

2082875939_Screenshotfrom2024-05-26deathless.png.05f66ed7df6c7ae45f5927649e7aa432.png

820539752_Screenshotfrom2024-05-2812-55-35.png.caf9fd96a1b94cb958b6c73edac5387d.png

1306769421_Screenshotfrom2024-05-2812-57-16.png.a32489d6ddab9b2d8ec27661a426c762.png

Download here:

https://mega.nz/file/AbsxmJJR#tSXh_AWsOcsZu6_6qu79WIxuBtF7p2C3nLLPYIRxVJI

Bonus dehacked tweak that adds smoother flowing liquid falls and a double punch which makes the Eternal Doomguy's punch a bit more useful.  It doesn't break anything as far as I'm aware but I've kept it separate for those who prefer a wholly vanilla experience though I do recommend it for the full vibe of the mod. :)

https://mega.nz/file/wWERiDYA#qmgOJnx6llI8lJBKdEh_dYFytROoVQa72cs8xCB-bFY

CREDITS:

The Freedoom guys - Textures

Team Eternal - HUD elements and player sounds

Midway - Weapon sprites

Cascade - Elec

Amuscaria - Monsters and loads of bits and pieces

Ben2k9, mattbratt11, Ganbare-Lucifer - Cyber Hellknight Sprite Edits

Vader - Caco sprites

Melvinflynt - Flesh Wizard

Captain Toenail - Forgotten One Sprite Edit

NMN - Various sprites

Jimmy - Square font

BouncyTEM and Aubrey Hodges - Music

Me (Average) - Lots of sprites, textures and edits of the above credited work, brightmaps, dehacked and compilation.

If I've missed anyone please let me know.

It'll work in any port as there are no code changes but for best results I strongly recommend Woof! or Nugget-Doom as I have created lots of brightmaps specifically for them.  I recommend you load it first to avoid any graphical conflicts with other mods and WAD's (I actually have it in my Woof! autoload folder and it hasn't caused my any issues.)  This is my first proper project and I'm pretty pleased with it.  I hope someone has fun with it. :)

Played a couple of vanilla maps with this and it's pretty great! Works exactly as advertised and turns the usual Doom mood into something that's brushing shoulders with Doom 64 and Doom 3 while also being fairly close to Eternal Doom and Strain in a pretty interesting way. Definitely gonna be playing something with this loaded. :)

On another note: I made a little WAD that swaps the pistol's sprites out for something chonkier and turns it into a mini-chaingun of sorts, the Doom 3 machine gun sound kinda made me want to use that instead. Could definitely share it with you, maybe as part of the optional add-on that makes the punch a bit more useful?

Thanks for the kind words.  :)

Re your WAD, go for it.  I'd love to check it out.

I'm liking this :)

Incredible mix of assets you have made, I'm very partial to Freedoom so I love it. Thanks for actually making use of BRGHTMPS :D one of my favorite most underused lumps.

Thanks @elf-alchemist.  It actually took me a lot longer than I thought it would.  I've pretty much tweaked everything to make a consistent aesthetic and to make best use of the brightmaps.  I pretty proud of it.  :)

I was hoping to use some spot sound effects but I couldn't get them to work so I presume Woof! and Nugget don't support them (yet?).

It's amazing what a lot of little tweaks can create.  :)

@Average Hey, no worries! It's just how life goes sometimes, haha. Took the liberty of recording a video with Phobos AEternum's current release since I didn't see anyone talking about it on the 'tube!

Hey @Matt Eldrydge, Thanks for the video.  It's a kinda surreal seeing someone else play with this.  I've been in my own bubble for ages with it I forget what it looks like sometimes!  It probably doesn't look like it but I put quite a bit of effort into it.  Pretty much everything has been tweaked to work with the brightmaps and to keep stylistic consistency.  Of course, most of the texture work was already done but I'll be replacing some of the stock Freedoom stuff in the next release. :)