Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VVanTuz2OO2

Adding textures and flats to Heretic

Question

Well, hello.

I had no problem just adding the flats and textures via PP\FF entries, PNAMEs and TextureX. But it seems to be flawed. Some of the textures - specifically Bricks and Episode 3 Mosaic are messed up with each other and I don't know what to do with that.

Another thing that I wanna know is that is there a way to add animated textures. Yeah, I know how that works in case of Doom and Doom 2, either replace the existing or go to Boom or ZDoom un-vanilla and add it through ANIMDEFS or some other magic which may get bugged sometimes.

But if there is a way to do that in Heretic format that would be great. Six animated flats, two animated walls and only 2 not so different switches is a very low for a diverse design. As far as I read, Doom has quite a number of formats that do limit removing but do not change gameplay drastically. In case of Heretic there is either a Vanilla or ZDoom. Is there a way to hack that thing out? Because if there were some "Boom Heretic" formats that helped that issue better it would be much easier.

I do understand why not so many people map for Heretic, it's generally has much worse support for addon content.

Here is some footage of broken tiles:

изображение.png

6 answers to this question

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, VVanTuz2OO2 said:

Some of the textures - specifically Bricks and Episode 3 Mosaic are messed up with each other and I don't know what to do with that.

It's pretty hard to tell what happened without seeing the wad. Did you build these textures out of multiple patches, including ones with negative y offsets? Because that doesn't exactly work right

1 hour ago, VVanTuz2OO2 said:

Another thing that I wanna know is that is there a way to add animated textures.

GZDoom, Crispy Heretic, and International Heretic support the ANIMATED and SWITCHES lumps for Heretic in the same format as Boom. dsda-doom doesn't, though -- I'm not sure how widely it's used outside of speedrunning, so that may or may not bother you.

edit: For an example wad that uses them, see Quoth the Raven

The vanilla way to get extra animated and switch wall textures (but not flats) is to make a really wide texture that has many textures/switches on it, and then use texture offsets in your map to position to the walls you want to show. If you do this, make sure your textures are a power-of-two wide (256, 512, 1024 etc), since otherwise they won't work properly in some ports.

Edited by plums

Posted (edited)

Before you learn to compile your own resources from scratch I recommend downloading the Quoth The Raven resource pack and exploring it, using it, and learning from it. Here is a direct link to it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gav_qJW3z-hbGnkXjjNEov_XhC6gDk-y/view

Your specific issue is that some of the textures in your patch have been replaced while others have not. This confuses the patch table and it patches some of the old material with some of the new.

Yes, there is a way to add animations and switches, like Plums mentioned. QTR features an animations pack but no switches pack for reasons I won't go into here.

Hopefully this will get you pointed in the right direction!

If you are still having problems feel free to DM w your project and I will take a look and attempt to resolve your issue. If Iam able to resolve any issues I will write step by step instructions on what/how I did so you can learn from it.

20 hours ago, plums said:

It's pretty hard to tell what happened without seeing the wad. Did you build these textures out of multiple patches, including ones with negative y offsets? Because that doesn't exactly work right

GZDoom, Crispy Heretic, and International Heretic support the ANIMATED and SWITCHES lumps for Heretic in the same format as Boom.

Oh, I totally forgot that Crispy Heretic finally exists. Well, let's hope DSDA gets that sometime later. No, speedrunning is of no concern in this exact moment, so it's fine with Crispy Doom, but I still need to learn how to make that happen in Doom Builder, since there is no "Crispy Heretic" category. It is possible and I have a direction. That's already good.

About those clippings. They just happened. I doublechecked that textures do not have issues with names - each texture has it's own name and there are no equal names that might cause the conflict. But all I did is import all the Hexen textures, put them into PNAMES, PP\FF Entries, TextureX, converted to Heretic's palette and launched Doom Builder with Heretic IWAD and PWAD with mentioned textures\flats. And HERETIC.WAD was picked as an Base Resource of operations during the editing in SLADE 3.

Maybe I should check the offsets after all. Since it's Hexen there might be any kind of magic.

Thanks for help, I'll try out soon.

17 hours ago, Egregor said:

Before you learn to compile your own resources from scratch I recommend downloading the Quoth The Raven resource pack and exploring it, using it, and learning from it. Here is a direct link to it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gav_qJW3z-hbGnkXjjNEov_XhC6gDk-y/view

Your specific issue is that some of the textures in your patch have been replaced while others have not. This confuses the patch table and it patches some of the old material with some of the new.

Yes, there is a way to add animations and switches, like Plums mentioned. QTR features an animations pack but no switches pack for reasons I won't go into here.

Hopefully this will get you pointed in the right direction!

That's gonna be extremely useful to newbie like me. Thank you!

2 hours ago, VVanTuz2OO2 said:

I still need to learn how to make that happen in Doom Builder, since there is no "Crispy Heretic" category.

There is no Crispy Heretic category for the same reason there's no Crispy Doom category: it's just the normal Heretic (or Doom) actions, but without vanilla limits. ANIMATED/SWITCHES is set up in SLADE, and you can create and edit the lumps directly, or right-click them and convert them to text-format SWANTBLS to edit that way, then convert them back.

I'm a bit busy with other projects at the moment but I can help with this and/or your textures if @Egregor can't figure it out, and you can wait a day or two.