Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
8088mph

GAYhem 2024 - The (Gender)Queer Doomer's Community Project! (Needs playtesters)

16 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Simply put I want to make a map for this project... could I?:)

It's in the spirit of the project that you don't need to ask permission from anybody. Just make one!

On 6/22/2024 at 10:23 AM, rampancy said:

the blue sky color really works in the screenshots, i really dig the aesthetic. Im gonna have to download this and check it out 👍

Thanks a bunch! 💖

Was Gaytex ever finalised/sorted out/even working? Last I read, there were some issues? Can't remember.

Wanna play with it, and maybe make a map. Perhaps.

1 hour ago, Novaseer said:

It's in the spirit of the project that you don't need to ask permission from anybody. Just make one!

still would be great to have it confirmed by project leader

there seem to be more people than 32 at this point :D

It's MBF21 with UMAPINFO, there can be as many maps as desired.

50 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

Was Gaytex ever finalised/sorted out/even working? Last I read, there were some issues? Can't remember.

The current version in the Discord is working fine, most people are happy with it, and it's pretty close to final.

On 6/23/2024 at 9:24 AM, Jayextee said:

it was kind of a mess btu i have been sorting it out quite well , youll be able to map with it painlessly by now o7

On 6/17/2024 at 5:02 PM, Novaseer said:
  Hide contents

doom139.png?ex=6671f20d&is=6670a08d&hm=4

doom140.png?ex=6671f20d&is=6670a08d&hm=a

doom141.png?ex=6671f20d&is=6670a08d&hm=4

doom142.png?ex=6671f20d&is=6670a08d&hm=0

doom144.png?ex=6671f20d&is=6670a08d&hm=a

doom147.png?ex=6671f20d&is=6670a08d&hm=5

doom149.png?ex=6671f20d&is=6670a08d&hm=9

doom150.png?ex=6671f20d&is=6670a08d&hm=c

The Onyx Ring Engulfs' first release candidate is complete. 1,742 monsters, 6 secrets, 118 items.

(note I forgot to take the last two screenshots in my pre-upload test run so I idclipped to them, hence the incorrect inventory)

im still processing my feelings on this map's title accidentally(??) namedropping me /lh

36 minutes ago, awwnyx said:

im still processing my feelings on this map's title accidentally(??) namedropping me /lh

lol I was just trying to come up with a fancy synonym for "black" because I felt that wasn't ostentatious enough and you got caught in the crossfire

To all future project leaders, I'm begging you - have your custom resources finalised before people start making maps.
I can't believe it needs to be said but here we are. Having the resource file change twenty times, and only somewhat solidify half way through the month-long project duration is insane. How are mappers supposed to work when their tools are in constant flux? I just spent two hours on the small map I made trying to fix all the changes, and I just have to contend with the map looking like clown vomit now. Despite my best efforts. Bellow is is a screenshot that shows the original (darker, and cohesive) and the new vain attempt to fix things.

The resources are nice - it's not about that. Those nice resources should be set in stone before anybody else started working. If I knew this is what the resources would look like, I wouldn't make the map the way it is now. I don't have the time or energy to spend to make it right, fuck it. I'm too tired and frustrated. Guess I'll have to start asking more questions before joining a CP

Spoiler

cbVReIj.gif

Yeah. I was using 1.7 for most of the dev time but when I switched to one of the most recent versions I was so annoyed because A) a bunch of stuff had lost their textures and 2) the whole color scheme is fucked to bits now. I'm soldiering forth anyway but the lack of decent management has been discouraging.

2 hours ago, Sneezy McGlassFace said:

How are mappers supposed to work when their tools are in constant flux?

This is exactly why I haven't joined.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Sneezy McGlassFace said:

To all future project leaders, I'm begging you - have your custom resources finalised before people start making maps.
I can't believe it needs to be said but here we are. Having the resource file change twenty times, and only somewhat solidify half way through the month-long project duration is insane. How are mappers supposed to work when their tools are in constant flux? I just spent two hours on the small map I made trying to fix all the changes, and I just have to contend with the map looking like clown vomit now. Despite my best efforts. Bellow is is a screenshot that shows the original (darker, and cohesive) and the new vain attempt to fix things.

The resources are nice - it's not about that. Those nice resources should be set in stone before anybody else started working. If I knew this is what the resources would look like, I wouldn't make the map the way it is now. I don't have the time or energy to spend to make it right, fuck it. I'm too tired and frustrated. Guess I'll have to start asking more questions before joining a CP

Hide contents

cbVReIj.gif

I agree with this, biggest mistake on my part was continuing to add onto the resources wad and creating a whole bunch of compatibility issues, if I could go back, I'd leave it with just OTEX, it provided enough textures in my opinion which is why I included it in the first place. 

Honestly, I should've waited until next year rather than having a spaz moment and making this thread in the middle of the night because someone asked about it,

For now, I'll just keep the train rolling, I guess. (with the help of other people)

Edited by 8088mph

As I've said in discord, mistakes were made, but it's the only way we all learn. Next year, we'll be more organised. For now, let's just keep rolling. The deadline has been extended at the least.

Honestly, given the stumbling blocks presented, I honestly think things have gone better than they could have gone, and everyone thus far has done a bang up job of keeping this project alive. I'm looking forward to finishing my map and submitting it ❤

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 8088mph said:

I agree with this, biggest mistake on my part was continuing to add onto the resources wad and creating a whole bunch of compatibility issues, if I could go back, I'd leave it with just OTEX, it provided enough textures in my opinion which is why I included it in the first place. 

Honestly, I should've waited until next year rather than having a spaz moment and making this thread in the middle of the night because someone asked about it,

For now, I'll just keep the train rolling, I guess. (with the help of other people)

I want to point out that your big mistake was changing how the original textures looked, (Or whatever got changed) not necessarily adding new ones. The problem was not that the textureset was expanded; it's that it was changed in a way that broke things. I don't think it would've been such a problem if there had just been newnon-conflicting resources added that mappers would have the option to use

Best to solidify things beforehand if you can tho, I agree with that

Edited by WASFDDDDD

Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2024 at 2:03 PM, 8088mph said:

tbh i feel like you should've just stayed with the regular doom palette, because imo lavender isn't that important of a color compared to blue and magenta. it'd also make it easier for people to drop in other palettes (e.g. coldpal or palplus) or custom colormaps and just have them work.

Edited by Donowa

Posted (edited)

I finished my map last week.  Here are a few screenshots.  Overall, I'm pretty proud of the sector lettering.

loqlMJq.png

bxlHBV9.jpg

Edited by Chariot Rider : Properly displaying the imgur posts

Posted (edited)

is it too late to join? I shouldn't because I am in 2 other projects as well that I need to complete in like the next week or so.. but I have to join this one

my idea is to make an abc map

(because I am aspie, bi, cis)

4 hours ago, CBM said:

is it too late to join? I shouldn't because I am in 2 other projects as well that I need to complete in like the next week or so.. but I have to join this one

my idea is to make an abc map

(because I am aspie, bi, cis)

just go ahead and join the discord, we'll be happy to have you on!

Posted (edited)

I submitted my map last night/this morning, so gonna upload some screenshots here.

Map name: Spectrum

Author: DistroyA

Music: Neato by Jeremy Doyle

Sky: SKYND03 (Included in resource wad)

Par time: 10 minutes

Tested in: DSDA-Doom v0.27.5

Notes: This is my first community project submission (although not my first published wad). Do let me know if there are any issues on other source ports. Also, please note that I designed this map to be punishing on UV, can be beaten without finding any of the secrets. The only multiplayer starts I've added are for co-op. This was definitely a learning curve in using Boom and onwards features, particularly implementing moving floors, as I was used to designing for vanilla (and for Doom 1, so it was also a learning curve gauging fights with the Doom 2 monsters). Definitely the most difficult map I've made thus far. The map name makes reference to the fact that I'm on the autistic spectrum AND the bi-sexual spectrum, and is somewhat reflected in variety of colours in the map (granted they're mostly earthy tones, but there's a no two area's that recycle the same general aesthetic (border textures don't count)).

EDIT: I've since slightly updated the texturing on the bi-pride stairs, as I was previously unaware of there being more magenta flats than the magenta liquids, so the first screenshot is not 100% accurate of the final product.

spectrum-edit-area-at-2024-08-11-07-02-5

spectrum-edit-area-at-2024-08-11-07-03-0

spectrum-edit-area-at-2024-08-11-07-05-0

spectrum-edit-area-at-2024-08-11-07-05-1

doom06.png

spectrum-edit-area-at-2024-08-11-07-02-1

Edited by DistroyA

It's slowly, but surely, coming along. We've got a sizeable amount of maps submitted, although, at the time of writing, I haven't got an exact number.

I wound up dropping from the project because of how disorganized it was and I ran into a hardcore mapper's block in the thing placement phase. Gonna try and fix it up for next year.