Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Operation: BIOWAR & Equinox

MAP10: Dark Woods. Played on UV, pistol start. DSDA v0.27.4. K: 83/83, S: 1/1, I: 20/20. Comp. time 9:35

A change of scenery, and again a change of pace -- latter for the worse. I think this is an issue of pistol starting; Dark Woods doesn't feel long as such, but its monster density is low, and yet it feels very tedious to get through. Unless I missed something, there's only the pistol, shotgun (single barrel) and the chaingun to work your way through a handful barons, some arachnotrons and a couple of mancubi along with the usual lower tier riff-raff.

Then again, it might not have been a pistol start issue, either, because I can't remember picking up any ammo for rocket launcher or plasma weaponry. SSG was sorely missed.

Discovered upon posting:

8 hours ago, Pseudonaut said:

There is a non-secret SSG near the mid-point of the playthrough, but it's somewhat hidden in the dark forest and easy to miss, which could make things quite tedious later on.

WISH I HAD FOUND THAT

MAP10: Dark Woods

Kills: 80%

Items: 100%

Secrets: 100%

Time: 5:38

I actually think Dark Woods is pretty sweet, at least by this wad's somewhat timid standards. We're back to Chris Harbin again, and he's building on his atmospheric skills again. We start in a . . . something that has a crate flat for a floor for some reason, but quickly transition to the woods, which is the main area of the level before a little rocky and snowy area at the end. I don't know if this was just me, but I was kinda surprised this map actually had woods in it. 90's maps were just named stuff, man. What part of TNT MAP18 looks like a mill to you anyway? The woods themselves are barren, sure, though again this is a map where I appreciate the gesture more than actually playing it if I'm being perfectly honest. For the time and even now honestly, I'd call it some inspired work. Also, I complained before about these maps having very little continuity, so I do appreciate here how the mountain area foreshadows the incoming snowy map. I think the gameplay, compared to what we've seen so far, is perfectly adequate. It still doesn't thrill me, though, MAP09 didn't thrill me either, so maybe my tastes are just kinda skewed in that regard. This map's huge, wide open natural areas certainly reminded me of Turok a little bit, I don't mean that as a compliment though it didn't bother me either I suppose. Also, I don't exactly see how pistol starting is a problem here. I ran past everyone and gained the shotgun in exactly 37 seconds. Now, I didn't end up going back to kill the opening crowd, but I did get 80% kills in an 84 monster map, and I didn't find ammo particularly strenuous. In fact, the only part of this I found kind of annoying from a pistol start were the two Mancubi near the end, although it seems I missed a Super Shotgun somewhere along the way. As a whole though, if you don't want to pistol the opening crowd like how I didn't, then you don't have to. (If you noticed I'm running out of talking points here.) All in all, fine map. Doesn't differ too significantly from what we've already seen in my opinion.

Grade: C+

Difficulty: D+

I think the general concept of a map set in a forest isn't a bad one and I wish it was explored more, but this one just doesn't cut it. Issue number one: Dark Woods is very flat. The rocky cliffsides that connect several parts of the map are the worst offender, but the forest sections could use more height variation. Issue number two: monotonous texture choice. Besides the sector trees, everything is either gray or brown. Issue number three: the map is underpopulated for its size. You could stage some large battles here, making effective use of ambushes, but nope, it's just a handful of basic monsters.

I can't say I like this one, Dark Woods is just wasted potential.

MAP10 - Dark Woods

Wait, did bro actually use CRATOP as a SAND texture!?!?! Bold choice, but ultimately it looks quite ugly and reminiscent of the floors/ceilings in WOLF3D which didn't use texture mapping. Its nice to see a return to a more natural setting as seen previously in MAP03, and there is potential here, but this map does stretch my personal capacity to overlook crudeness given the vintage of the material pretty far. Its just very blocky, flat and not that interesting.

I'm not gonna hate, because for all I know Chris Harbin was a kid when this was made, and would have been using tools far more primitive than we have today, the same kind of tools I couldn't wrap my head around as a kid trying (and failing) to make maps with, in a similar time period. I think if there'd been more monsters and more engaging combat, it'd be a better map. The snow-topped peak at the end has me thinking this is leading into something new.

Biowar - MAP10: Dark Woods

I do not understand any of my commentary in retrospect, because looking back MAP10's not that great. I like the progression of going from a desert-esque place, to the titular dark woods, to a dead forest. Not really much for me to add here unfortunately, but there's definitely a foundation for a great map here.

3/5

Map08: Biolab
An atmospheric start but a fairly tepid map overall. Couple minor bugs like unpegged door textures. Did poke around to see if I could activate the 3rd secret but nah. Overall... an intermission of sorts.

Map09: Security

A fairly neat, middling sized map in my opinion, although maintaining a fairly relaxed level of challenge. It's still the same general tech-basey vibe with some nice animated patches. Chock full of secrets, so if you look around a little you'll never be short of ammo or health. There are a few fights in fairly tight quarters where death might not be entirely due to negligence. Useless Archie though.

And for a bit of clarity of how I'm playing: PRBoom+ 2.6, default complevel, UV, blind pistol start, no saves. So far, the WAD has been accommodating to this without driving up my blood pressure.

Map 10: Dark Woods

This map certianly wanted to create its own world and in many ways achieved exactly that but is extremely hampered by its straight line approach to progression and absolute lack of engaging combat. I would hope that this maps failures stem from the lousy editors of the time because it really seems like it was rushed and made more to fill in the map slot than it was to pad out the idea. I would have liked to see this level fleshed out more with branching pathways and possible optional areas where more indepth fights could be staged with better monster placement but we didnt get any of that. This and the next map both have very interesting concepts with cool abstract in a doom kinda way aestetics that had me thinking of the forest moon of endor and the ice planet hoth but neither got enough care and forethought put into thier creation to fully hit the mark. This was a missed oportunity. 😀

Due to this short hiatus of a few days, my videos are in spoiler to avoid taking up too much space.

Map 08 : Biolab

698px-Operation_Biowar_MAP08_map.png

I like the more depressing tone of this map, mostly caused by the darkness at some places and the music from Memento Mori but yes, it's still more generic complexes to explore and the combats stay ridiculously easy on UV, while some traps might cause some surprise such as the teleporter that transport you to a pool, in front of two pinkies. I also appreciate the colorful animated textures that contribute to give a more sci-fi aesthetic to the map. I would have enjoyed this level even more if it had looked more like the first corridors: dark rooms lit only by high-tech neon lights.

Grade : B- (12/20)

Map 09 : Security

591px-Operation_Biowar_MAP09_map.png

Just another level that shows how masterful "The Organic Gods" by Mark Klem is. Probably one of the best midis ever composed. The “Security” theme lacks harmony, and the rooms follow one another with no real logic, but the music and the fairly high enemy density manage to give the map a slightly heroic feel. I feel like a hero trying to survive in a fortified base. The yellow key's trap is my favourite part of the level as it's oddly well designed for a wad of that date. The arch-vile can be quickly be dangerous by reviving its teammates. I also have a soft spot for those all school secrets such as the shootable torches. Those really reward the player when found. Who doesn't love finding a megasphere in a secret?

Grade: B (13/20)

Map 10 : Dark Woods

800px-Operation_Biowar_MAP10_map.png

Needless to say that combats are unengaging here but you guess what? I don't care , "Dark Woods" figures as my favourite level in Biowar at this point. It plays like map 03, with its deliberately linear progression through natural settings, except that it's longer, prettier and the music is a perfect accompaniment to this rather risky ride. I'm also a big sectors trees addict, and there's no doubt that I'll find my paradise here, but I also appreciate the little beach made with the CRATOP texture at the start and the transition to the ice theme at the end.

What I particularly like about BIOWAR is the simplicity with which the ideas are executed. “Dark Woods” seems grandiose to me, without going on forever or using a mass of sectors. I also feel that the author wanted to create a story in which the character travels through different biomes, something that makes me travel a bit too.

Grade : B+ (15/20)

VIDEOS :

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

map05 fda

this is a lot of running around a slightly dull techbase without much action. i found the layout quite confusing; why are the keys all over the place far away from where they are meant to be used? im not the most observant but i got no sense of place here. the blue room/corridor teleporter thing is nice.

map06 fda

what an absolute contrast with 05; i had no idea what was going on, almost constant action in this one, with a subversion of expectation from the start. you dont need to know whats going on as you stumble from pathway to pathway, you cant really get lost. finished with a lovely vision of the exit of the base. excellent mapping!

map07 fda

i was really looking forwards to that lush jungle looking place after 06's exit; instead we get some weird prison with a spiderdemon. quite fun, apart from epilepsy-cavern with the viles. that amount of PEs is quite scary, i guess more so than with the vanilla lost souls limit. luckily i had just enough ammo to deal with them all.

map08 fda

a contrast to map05; a biolab, with the keys unlocking various deeper parts of the lab - makes sense. the combat ramps up a bit here, with mancs, barons, hell knights etc. in more cramped conditions. not bad.

map09 fda

enjoyable run through a sort of hub map thingy. distinct lack of any sort of heavy weaponry made this a bit of a slog. i wonder if i missed a secret or something obvious?

map10 fda

an exercise in running away. there didnt seem to be any weaponry that would make fighting the various medium sized beasts worth my time. i feel like this map shouldve led on directly from 05, the woods seem to be hinted at there.

whew - caught up.

Map 10: Dark Woods

by Chris Harbin

Crispy Doom, UV, pistol-start

This map starts promisingly enough with the Gothic DM slightly industrial winner "Red Sky" accompanying us and a quick trip into some dark thick woods of which little was probably seen in '99 and despite the apparent lack of a shotgun in the opening sections, enemies are scattered enough to where it makes little difference. But shortly after this, we enter canyons of CONCRETE which ultimately culminate in a cave of snow. And unfortunately, enemies are scattered in such a way that the challenge as such is close to non-existent. No crowning ambushes, only one surprise at the high-up silver door and a whole lot of nothing better served in a Fragport map.

MAP09: Security Zone

100% kills, 11/11 secrets

Definitely a Pcorf map, very orthogonal but nicely detailed in the classic sense, and the telltale key door hub. This one provides a nice one-map journey through the armory/bestiary, starting with shotgunning low tier zombies up through rocket/BFG against Arch-Viles and the like. What stands out the most is that this map is absolutely loaded to the gills with secrets, most of which are a not-too-difficult "spot the different/misaligned texture" and a supply closet (though I did like the AV jumpscare on the first BFG). The revenant duel for the red key is probably the standout combat moment, especially given the ring of fire around the area that makes dodging even more precarious. Get past that though, and the secrets will trivialize the rest of the map. The rocket launcher comes a bit later than I would've liked. Still, good classic Doom map.

100% kills, 1/1 secret

This one is pretty blah by comparison, as mostly being a bunch of large rooms with a small amount of enemies strewn about, and thus not very challenging in the slightest. It's also a bit of a drag on pistol start, as I had to kill 20 zombies/imps with the pistol (a fourth of the map's enemy count) before getting a new weapon. Points for the theme but the gameplay is just super boring.

Posted (edited)

MAP11: Frozen Terror

DSDA-Doom, UV, Pistol Start

This level was leagues better than the previous. It takes place in frozen caves, which is a refreshing change of scenery. It also puts up a lot more resistance. Some fights are tough but fair, like the one involving an imp/pinkie/revenant pack after you grab the blue key. Some are dickish, like the chaingunner ambush after you enter the red key arena. You'll die instantly if you're not expecting that one. My favorite was the one on the descending elevator. This map was a nice challenge and it's pleasing to look at, making it one of my favorite maps in the wad.

Edited by E.M.

MAP09: Security

fde58233027786b8ae6a6b25e4f73fb345c6027c.png.384444ab788b1fd44d19329b51675ea4.png

Getting the red key is cumbersome - too many accidental teleports away. Lots of teleporting and 'gotchas' all around - but when combat pickings are slim, you can't complain too much about the spices. The body count has increased, at least, and the Arachno was sorely missed. The Pinky-Archvile combo fight might be the best in the set so far, from a pure design standpoint. It feels like linedefs are being placed down with more visual chops in these later maps, as well. Hopefully pcorf didn't raise my expectations too high.

Curious to see where the other 10 secrets are in this map.

0b005b4e6484635eda7a575d8bf2d63f5aa22f45.png.1a25767c125b1a0c7873ce68e0acedca.png

Were the maps rearranged at some point? This looks a bit like what the end of MAP06 was leading to. Come to think of it, this WAD has a habit of making distinctive start and end rooms that don't connect to adjacent maps whatsoever, even though it seems like they should. (The ending of this map is a notable exception.)

This map is the slowest burn yet - combat could charitably be called 'incidental'. The environments are immersive and evocative, but feel conspicuously understaffed. I feel like I'm playing the first map of a more confident and fleshed-out megawad, but Biowar itself has so far been weighed down by the ways it seems to fall short of its lofty ambitions. Maybe this is the natural consequence of playing a WAD from 1999... but I feel like it's more down to style than era.

a7dd286edd95ea0d0cd6436ac32f6c10cbf674d4.png.190ab97728da1dc345a612f649d0d045.png

We've seen bits of snow and ice crop up on our journey so far, so it's only natural that a map finally commits to the theme.

This map feels relatively tightly designed, with its emphasis on verticality and returning to previous spaces. Yet the combat feels frozen, with the only sparks provided by inconveniently placed chaingunners. I was low on health for a while, but never felt in danger. The final fight on the lowering floor feels like it's supposed to be climactic, but it isn't. I had to double-check that I was playing on UV, but nope, Biowar is just like this I guess.

MAP11: Frozen Terror. Played on UV, pistol start. DSDA v0.27.4. K: 65/65, S: 2/2, I: 62/62. Comp. time 9:24

Frozen Terror continues the theme of natural landscapes, although this time covered in ice. This one is remarkably better affair, though -- monster density is appropriate and the map equips the player -- especially if they find the secret plasma which I did, but saved cells for the "Descent" part of the map. Decent map! (... that I seem to have little to say about).

Posted (edited)

Biowar map 7

A practice attempt sees me going from 140% health to 8 from the opening hitscan army  Very easy to get flanked by a chaingunner and torn up in seconds.  Thankfully, there is a decent supply of heath around to patch up, for once.  The pain elemental army is a sticky situation to deal with in an ironman attempt.  There is a safe method of cheesing them at very little risk but it's also agonizingly slow so it will really test one's patience if pushed into resorting to that for survival purposes.  I want to save the megaarmor for going into the next map with 200 which is a risky gambit and it can go wrong if reckless.

map 8

Not very notable in an ironman attempt, I've found.  There's only one green armor and scattered armor bonuses about with health being a little more common but coming in with all weapons, if not full ammo, and 200 armor tends to make that a non-issue.  There's no cell ammo other than right at the start but shells and bullets are plentiful enough to not really need to worry about ammo otherwise.

map 9

I regard this as a restock map in the ironman campaign.  Coming in with carryover weapons takes the sting out of those surprise revenants, just have plasma out in advance.  The red key pair might be easier to skip entirely, especially from pistol start.  There's plentiful health but not very much armor so one can't afford to be too careless, even if there's more room for error.  The central junction is prime for some door camping to bait infights.  Sucks if a pain elemental behind the red key door gets aggroed and loose though; the ensuing cloud of skulls really drags out the runtime.  I prefer to skip the rocket launcher area though the secret there does have some bulk cells and rocket boxes to reward a detour.  The secret invulnerability is a welcome find in a multi-level recording attempt.  Grab it, then the last key, and bolt for the exit. (topping off prior to this)

Edited by Crusader No Regret

Posted (edited)

MAP11 - “Frozen Terror” by Chris Harbin

Having successfully navigated the dark woods, we now find ourself in a wintry scene of rock and ice. I can’t help but be reminded of Eviternity when I hear this midi - although that wad was far from its first use, being used in the opening map of such an iconic megawad, the association has stuck with me.

Thankfully the change in scenery is also paired with a change in generosity in providing heavier weapons (especially if you creep around the thin ledge to pick up the secret plasma gun at the start), and as a result is far less grindy. Complementing this is some ambush scenarios here that provide for a bit more exciting combat than the previous map.

What it can’t shake off though is the egregiously long lifts, especially given this one you have to wait for both the descent and ascent. The final time I dropped down here after grabbing the second secret (which I was hoping was accessible via straferunning, sadly its a more simple affair of dropping down from a bridge in an adjacent room), I just noclipped up again.

The descent finale teases a challenging time, but tapers off before it gets interesting, and we simply exit to the next map with only an arachnotron in the way.

Map11: Frozen Terror
Some of the action takes place on ridges or platforms, which is a nice way to make things a little more challenging, and I also like the plasma gun secret. What I don't like is the amount of waiting involved, especially with a particular long elevator that you have to use at least twice (three times if you grab a specific secret). There is an attempt to lock you into the red key room, but all you have to do is step back right after you step in, blocking the door and defanging the trap. It isn't a challenging fight anyway, the timed lock-in just results in more waiting. Still a decent map.

Map 11: Frozen Terror

Once again we have a really great aesthetic and at least the traps are more on point but the layout and size of this one really fall short and do not do the idea justice. I wish I could have got lost in the forest last map and I wanted to go exploring the ice caves this time. Both of them were like teasers for super original levels that just ended before they really felt like they began. Still, props are I guess in order as these ideas have at least seen the light of day where all my own ideas are still closeted in dark corners of my mind. 😀

Posted (edited)

Operation: Biowar

(UV, pistol start, K: 100% / S: 100%, DSDA-Doom, complevel 2)

You've seen Terror Core. Now, get ready for... Frozen Terror! Somebody left it in the freezer!

This one's better than MAP10, but I'm afraid I'm not exactly in love with it either. Might be a bit unfair to complain about an ice-themed map overusing ice textures, and even having ice textures at all is a point in the map's favor, but the starting area especially could've done with a little something to break the monochromatic whiteness. The combat is mostly flavorless, too, and unlikely to raise your heart rate as long as you don't waste your plasma or bumble into a teleporter completely unprepared. I do appreciate the repurposing of the starting area as a teleport trap after grabbing the blue key, though, and the ending elevator combat sequence wasn't unwelcome. A reference to Hell Revealed MAP31 or Quake E2M6 perhaps?

I'm deducting some imaginary points for the long elevator in the yellow key zone, which can be clogged at the top by imps who will scratch you the whole way up, unless you waste the few rockets you have on unclogging it with splash damage. And you'll have to take that slow-ass lift a minimum of two times, more if you miss the key platform, plus one extra trip if you go for the secret. Eugh.

Edit: whoops, wrong map number.

Edited by veevil

I really liked 10 and 11. The attempt at making a dark forest in the doom engine worked pretty well, given the limitations, and the tensest moment was a spot where chaingunners were hidden in the trees over a ravine, only visible when they fired. The two spots where you can look out onto decorative tree areas was also neat, its like a dark grove inside a cave.

The ice level after it reminded me of Hexen in a way, Herian in others, and was good fun. Especially the final segment: Berserk Potatoman punches many demons while descending an elevator

by Chris Harbin

Crispy Doom, UV, pistol-start

A somewhat earlier Mark Klem midi (the classic low-key grower "Midnight Call") is finally paired with a map that fully deserves it, a surely oblique reference to that one ice planet map from Star Wars: Dark Forces. Just don't expect any slippery surfaces here, just open areas which push the limits of verticality. If not from the one mound with the yellow key on it, the far-off chaingunner would be too much. And in our case it kind of was, since unfortunately, some slight carelessness with monster placement at the top of a nearby lift might make proceeding there a matter of luck.

But overall, this largely works to the map's benefit as very much unlike the last map, Chris seems more determined to group enemies into more threatening packs. Some mild exploring will also net some stronger weapons, though the amount of ammo available for them is miniscule. Hint: Hold on entirely to the cells until the Baron pair in the dead end cave. Regardless, despite a few overly open areas that are a result of this map's highly vertical design, the flow of encounters is quite nice. Get the blue key for the nearby blue door then be confronted by a swarm of Pinkies, Imps and a solitary Revenant that test the newly acquired SS. To get a rocket launcher, hit the nearby switch here than take the teleporter which leads right back to the start where we're confronted by a chaingunner and Imp pair on either side of the starting location. The RL is in the right alcove I believe. Anyway, we'll then go and trigger an Duke3D Abyss-style earthquake, engage in some more cool incidental things and blasting some Cacos coming out after getting the key with the Barons I believe, than handling some Arachnotrons in a narrow space, a la OG Map 11 from Doom 2 with some rockets explorers should've found in a deep chasm secret, then ending the map. 

If it wasn't for Map 09, this would be the best so far. A little bit of polish would have really taken this a long way, although perhaps the secret-finding is perhaps one of those 'out in the open' things, apart from the very last one.

Posted (edited)

Map 10: Dark woods

I think it's fairly safe to say by this point that Biowar is more interested in atmosphere and and light key/switch puzzles over the combat design. Continuing along this trend, Dark Woods is - as it's namesake implies - quite dark, and fairly woodsy by Doom standards. If you're pistol starting, you'll be plinking over a dozen imps before getting a hold of a shotgun, and honestly even that much is only really of benefit when you encounter the very few non-mook enemies on the map. The most "dangerous" encounter is... no there are none, every single encounter can be easily completed without a shred of damage if you're even slightly careful.

It's not incongruous within it's lineup. But it's far from exciting and only mildly interesting.

A definitely better map than at least 2 of the previous 3, for all it has half the colour palette to work with. It has 20 less enemies but uses them much better, resulting in a few actual fights. If you're feeling like a bit of bullying, doff thine supershotty and beat up the hellknights in the downward bound capstone encounter.

That said it's got a few foibles like a certain pacebreaking lift, and it's snowy visuals would be plain if it wasn't so nicely compacted a map. 

Overall one of the WAD's better offerings, managing a better mix of combat with it's atmospherics.

Arctic wasteland is another cool idea for a map and I think Frozen Terror succeeded in creating a memorable experience. The grand scale definitely helps, jumping from one column to another or making leaps of faith over freezing water (it's not harmful, so don't fret) makes the player feel small in this cold and uncaring place.

The large size has one issue and that is the long time spent waiting for that one elevator near the yellow key. This is actually the first place where I died Biowar, as there's a pair of chaingunners waiting on the top floor. Did I mention the map has no armor at that point? After restarting, I prepared a secret plasma rifle and took them out handily. Generally, I like the combat in Frozen Terror, it relies on ambushes in limited spaces, but the best setpiece is the finale: a descending elevator that spawns monsters for you to fight. It's a great way to end the best map so far.

Map 10 : Frozen Terror

693px-Operation_Biowar_MAP11_map.png

The transition to ice is now complete and it's time to explore arctic territory. Contrary to what the title might announce, there's nothing really terrific in this map except the monsters. The Mark Klem's makes it more welcoming than menacing, no wonder why Dragonfly used for the first map of Eviternity.

Moreover, the old-school version of the ice theme , as you can find in this map or Requiem's map 03 don't strike me as either too cheerful, as a Christmas-themed wad might, or too dark. A sort of neutral winter theme that I can find in some Whitemare 1 and 2 maps. Another aspect that contributes to this pleasant atmosphere lies in the fact that the crevasses are not likely to kill you. Staying in the icy water won't harm you.

Despite the fact that some battles are more hectic than in the previous maps, notably the one in the last elevator that resemble to a tribute to HR's map 31, "Frozen Terror" oddly feels like a breather to me, even how straightforward Operation Biowar is.

The two reproachs I can do on this map are in the elevators near the yellow key, which take forever to go up and down, and the white stone unblocking the channel. Otherwise, along with map 10, "Frozen Terror" proves to be one of my favourite maps in Operation Biowar.

Grade : B (14/20)

Posted (edited)

Admittedly carried by Midnight Call for most of its runtime, Frozen Terror has an ironically hot first half. The icy texture used gives a really cool impression of being stuck in the side of a glacier, but looking at it through a cynical lens makes it out as an excuse to omit any work in detailing and set dressing, putting it on par with Dark Woods. Nonetheless, it’s far more creative of an application than that bomb, and navigating its few bits of platforming does a lot to make the world feel vast. The fights ranged from mediocre to neat, with the pair of Barons in the dark and the descending elevator that repopulates with Imps and Arachnotrons being at each respective end of that spectrum. It’s a good theme, one that I hope to see elaborated on.

Edited by General Roasterock : Fuckin' oops

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, General Roasterock said:

Admittedly carried by Last Call for most of its runtime, 

Midnight Call? (I'm assuming you mean Map11's midi name not anything to do with Map06. (I happen to be familiar with the midi name here solely because I looked up many of the midis MtPain named a week or two ago.)

It's a great midi that's been subsequently used to open a very popular megawad, though I actually also really like Map10's midi which doesn't seem to be used really.

3 minutes ago, FrancisT218 said:

Midnight Call?

Yeah good catch, I guess that a lot of the Final Doom map names have subconsciously caught up to me.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, General Roasterock said:

Yeah good catch, I guess that a lot of the Final Doom map names have subconsciously caught up to me.

It's more than fair, I definitely spot a handful of names Final DooM names sprinkled in Biowar :D

MAP12: Military Center

Military Center feels like an expanded version of Terror Core. There's a hub with four teleporters, each leading to a combat challenge that reveals one of the keys. What's different here is the size and much more varied texture use. Unlike MAP02, this feels like a proper level, rather than discarded fragments, stitched together to make something playable.

The combat is fine, the hub is inhabited by some basic enemies and the side rooms, while nowhere near as cramped as MAP11's fights, feel like they offer something. I'd say this is a decent map, but it makes Terror Core feel completely redundant.

MAP12: Military Center

DSDA-Doom, UV, Pistol Start

This map was very confusing the first time around. It consists of a central compound and four outposts on the corners. How it works is that you teleport to one of the outposts, hit a switch, then return to the central compound to grab a key that rose out of the ground. Only in the '90s could a map have an idea that bizarre. (By the way, the teleport order is Yellow -> Red -> Blue -> Exit.) Despite this, the combat is fun. They give you an SSG right at the start, which I like. I amused myself by getting the monsters immediately outside the starting area to infight each other. I also appreciate how they repopulate the compound every time you hit a key switch. Things got really fast after I grabbed the plasma. The ending is a disappointment, though. Only one pain elemental and three revenants? Come on.