Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PurplDanial

Your scariest bug/insect story/stories?

Posted (edited)

This thread is all about the scary and spooky experiences you've had with bugs!

From small encounters to things that keep you up at night!

ill go first: once a giant tarantula the size of an small dining plate latched onto my leg when i was younger.

ย 

ย 

And no, not video game bugs, actual insects, actual creepy crawlies
ย 

Edited by Patrick_Plays_Doom

Posted (edited)

I don't mind most garden variety bugs unless they're being particularly annoying.

I kill cockroaches, flies, mosquitos and wasp nestsย on sight.

I let spiders climb on me and will reposition them to more advantagous spots. Spiders are my bros.

If I kill a bunch of flies because they're annoying shits, and there's a spiderweb nearby, I will throw my spiderbros the corpses to fatten the beasts.

ย 

One time I was camping in a forest. I took some natural entheogenic substance that shall not be disclosed.

I saw a giant wasp perching on the leaf of a nearby tree.

MF looking straight at me and crouching its entire body. I dunno how I knew it, but I knew the fucker was going to pounce on me, and it did after a couple of seconds, started flying in a straight line towards my face. Punched it clean off the air mid-flight, with a right jab, then stepped on it. It was crunchy.

ย 

Edited by VICE : typos all over the place

10 hours ago, VICE said:

ย 

I let spiders climb on me and will reposition them to more advantagous spots. Spiders are my bros.

ย 

Damn you have guts

Dude half of them are cool AF lookingย and the other half are hairy and cute.
Look at this silly guy:

Spoiler

JSN1Fmz.jpeg

ย 

Not something that happened to me, but happened to the head tech at the shop I used to work at.

We were doing some maintenance work on a riding lawnmower that was probably older than the combined age of couple of us working in the shop at the time, some red MTD Yard Machines.ย  Thing was dusty and full of old grass and pine needles and such, part of the maintenance ticket was to clean the machine up.

ย 

Unfortunately where I live leaving a lot of detritus with wood and pine needles leads to the cuddliest, cutest little bug ever:
image.png.06373c91818e23ee4d5b52660a210a5a.png

The pine beetle!ย  Looks cute and innocent enough except for one thing.ย  These little fuckers bite.ย Hard.ย Head tech was doing some cleaning of the unit, saw like 8 of them crawling around on the mower deck.ย  He couldn't quite make them out until putting a flashlight on it, after which case I just heard him say in a breathless panic "Fucking PINE BEETLES!" - I'd never seen someone so quickly unbutton a shirt and throw it on the ground, which the spectacle was something to see as he was not a small guy - 250 lbs, about 6 feet tall.ย  This all happened in the span of about 2 seconds from bug sighting to shirt in the corner.

ย 

I know this one said scariest, and of course pine beetles are nasty little creatures.ย  This also ended up being a funny sight too.

I stepped on a large spider by accident and suddenly a swarm of small spiders came from under my boot.ย 

16 hours ago, VICE said:

One time I was camping in a forest. I took some natural entheogenic substance that shall not be disclosed.

I saw a giant wasp perching on the leaf of a nearby tree.

MF looking straight at me and crouching its entire body. I dunno how I knew it, but I knew the fucker was going to pounce on me, and it did after a couple of seconds, started flying in a straight line towards my face. Punched it clean off the air mid-flight, with a right jab, then stepped on it. It was crunchy.

ย 

ย 

Actual footage:

ย 

ย 

One time, when I was a teenager, I was walking thru a park and fell, then felt something sting me, I got scared cuz I thought a spider bit me and I was gonna die, ran back home crying and swearing, told my sis and she noticed there was a dead bee on my shorts, insisted to go to the hospital, yeah it was just a bee lol.

47 minutes ago, Daytime Waitress said:

ย 

Actual footage:

ย 

ย 

That's the part that came after, when I was dodging my ex's questions about where I am and what I'm up to.

I was twelve years old and so very very scared of bees.ย 

ย 

The morning started out like any other; my mom would wake my brother and I up at 5 am and we would get ready for the day. I finished up brushing my teeth and my mother called me to her room. As I enter her room, she opens a dresser drawer and a hornet flies out and comes near me.

ย 

It's 5:00 AM.ย 

The neighbors can hear us.

I start screaming at the top of my lungs.

ย 

My brave mother slaughters the foul beast, but the trauma remains. I wage a war on bees every day by nervously avoiding them when walking past flowers.ย 

ย 

They think I'm scared. They don't know that my surprise attack will take all of them down.

One day I was sitting at my laptop late at night, with the lights off, chatting on Discord with my bros.

And then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw some strange shadow moving along the wall close to my left...

I slowly took the phone, turned on the flashlight, directed the light at the wall and saw a house centipede (or scutigera coleoptrata, you can google it if you want)...

To say that I was scared is to say nothing.

My hands and feet immediately went cold from fear. I told my bros that there was a centipede on my wall, and the bros started joking that it would crawl into my bed at night (;๏น;)

5 hours ago, DNSKILL5 said:

I stepped on a large spider by accident and suddenly a swarm of small spiders came from under my boot.ย 

How do you sleep at night? Just knowing that happened to you?

ย 

39 minutes ago, tnr said:

it's 5:00 AM.ย 

The neighbors can hear us.

I start screaming at the top of my lungs.

i mean thats fair, for a hornet to appear seemingly out of the ancient depths of an drawer is a scream-worthy sight

17 minutes ago, Astar said:

I told my bros that there was a centipede on my wall,ย 

Holy shit, as a person who hates centipedes this makes my ribcage shiver, it makes my bumps goose, it shivers me timbers
and i hope and hope it was not a house centipede
( These fuckereinos:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQShc5xJOU1IejI6G1ILFdย ย 

)

ย 

9 minutes ago, Patrick_Plays_Doom said:

i hope and hope it was not a house centipede

Oh, it was!

8 minutes ago, Patrick_Plays_Doom said:

i hope and hope it was not a house centipede๏ปฟ

( These fuckereinos:

ย 

Never encountered one til I came to Japan.

And then I was very unhappy that I did.

The word gejigeji translates as "never showering with the lights off ever again".

ย 

They actually worry me more than mukade, which are legitimately venomous.

Playing my video games.
Hear a faint ticking noise coming from my PC.

Take a quick look through the sidepanel, doesn't seem like there's an issue. Was that something moving? Lighting's not great.
Ticking noise returns, almost like something hitting a fanblade, caught wire maybe?
Open up case, squint a little, see something weird by the GPU.
Shine a light into the case, realise GODDAMN ANTS ARE ALL OVER THE INSIDE OF MY COMPUTER.
Ants like confined and warm spaces when the rain starts flooding their nests. Guess they found one.
Never shut down and disassembled a computer so fast in my life. 2 mins from shutdown to everything out the case.
Open up the GPU. EGGS. SO MANY EGGS. AND SO MANY LITTLE BLACK BUGGERS MOVING THEM AROUND.
Also got into one of my SSDs.
Still amazed nothing fried during the process of their... immigration.
Still not sure when they managed to crawl in.ย 
I am now paranoid about even a single stray ant coming anywhere near my desk. I've also switched from a mesh sidepanel to perspex.

Still got the pics too:

image.png.ce75bade452d2709bce86dff51c695c6.png
image.png.47612a3b8f4e7ccc4fec8d9893ecf844.png

Some day before going to school I was wearing my uniform, I felt a bug walking very fast on my right leg, so I took my pants off and I got really scared then a fcking very big cockroach came out my pants and I ran away laughing so hard. Luckily I realized it when I was at home and not outside.

4 hours ago, Zerofuchs said:

Still got the pics too:

ย 

Those images are enough to make a man shit his pants at the speed of light, holy fuck thats alot of ants

ย 

4 hours ago, Gmg said:

I ran away laughing so hard.ย 

Having the guts to laugh that off is insane, you earned my respect lmfao

5 hours ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Dude that gray thing with the hundreds of legs crawled out of a drain and on to my bare leg when I was in the bathroom one timeย :| I shook my leg until it flew off and crawled away... it freaked me out but I don't mind bugs too much

ย 

8 hours ago, Patrick_Plays_Doom said:

ย 

ย 

Chill dude, they're very calm and friendly. I had one hanging above my bed (right above my head where I would sleep) for few days, and he was nice friend. Never touched me, just gave me some company

6 hours ago, Zerofuchs said:

Still got the pics too:

Wow, Did any of the parts need replacing?

4 hours ago, Monocled said:

Wow, Did any of the parts need replacing?

Amazingly... no. Ants, fortunately, don't seem to be conductive enough to easily cause a short.

Although I really should have redone the thermal paste on my GPU before putting it back together.

8 hours ago, Zerofuchs said:

Shine a light into the case, realise GODDAMN ANTS ARE ALL OVER THE INSIDE OF MY COMPUTER

Oh. My. Fucking. God.

Ant swarming was one of the main fears of my childhood....

intro-1709651753.jpg
Me racing to my gun safe when I see a waterbug crawling up myย shower drainย 

Posted (edited)

I live in an abandoned house that I'm fixing up.ย  I likeย  having the spiders around because they eat the other bugs that wander in from the forest (I have praying mantis as well, they're great).ย  However, I came home work from a few month ago and flipped on my bedside lamp to find that about 75-100 baby spiders had made a home in the lampshade.ย  Kinda like that scene in Arachnophobia.ย  It just spooked me a little.ย  I put them outside to live their lives.

ย 

edited for clarity

Edited by EraserheadBaby

Posted (edited)

I grow a lot of pepper plants indoors, as well as a few other houseplants. I like being able to fully control my plants' habitat.

ย 

Anyway, I read online that peppers enjoy a more sandy soil mix than most plants, I needed to transplant them, as they had outgrown their current pots - I had been using perlite mixed w/ potting mix at that point instead.

ย 

So I rush to the hardware store to buy some sand. I was told not to buy the kind of sand that you throw onto ice, or the kind that you use to fill sandboxes, because that sand is treated heavily w/ chemicals, and my plants wouldn't like that.

ย 

I'm told to buy 'abrasive sand' instead.

ย 

So yeah, long story short:

ย 

They definitely don't treat that shit w/ chemicals, because my entire house was filled w/ thousands of fungal gnats for weeks after that. The sand must have been filled w/ their eggs!

ย 

I'm not talking like, 'Oh hey, there's a couple fungal gnats flying around, how annoying' - I'm talking like "Holy shit, how the hell am I gonna sleep in this building?' type stuff.

ย 

The little bastards don't bite/sting, nor did they cause any noticeable damage to the plants, so they were more a nuisance than anything but good lord did they make life miserable for a while!

ย 

The scariest thing, was that I was starting to get used to them, just before I got rid of them for good...

ย 

wlGjd0u.jpg

ย 

Had to plaster the entire house w/ fly paper, treat the surfaces of my plants w/ insecticidal soap and neem oil - and that finally did it - I made sure to throw that soil in the outside garden after that.

ย 

Some would say 'Why not just toss the plants out, and start over?' Well, that's sensible and all - but I had grown these pepper plants from seed, and they were producing like crazy, and I needed to make hot sauce that year, too - they were also rare varieties, and I didn't want to see months of working on them go to waste!

ย 

So not quite scary, but makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

ย 

There was another time actually, when I was in Nova Scotia, that my window-mounted AC was sucking in wasps and fish flies - that was SUPER unpleasant, as well...

1 hour ago, EraserheadBaby said:

75-100 baby spiders had made a home in the lampshade.

WOW, JUST WOW... HOLY SHIT... WHY WOULD THEY BE THERE??? WOW, THAT WILL KEEP ME UP AT NIGHT

ย 

38 minutes ago, Arrowhead said:

because my entire house was filled w/ thousands of fungal gnats for weeks after that

Thousands... i can imagine Hundreds but THOUSANDS... Its not the creepiest story but holy shit, i cant imagine being there, atleast you pulled through it