Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KickAss

DooM 3 gog version CD-key problems ... ?

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I've bought DooM 3 just a few days ago at good old games and everything was fine. I was able to play some runs and it was really enjoyable but now I am getting bugged from the game whit CD-key issues. After the game has started and the intro animation has passed by I am prompted to a screen where I have to re-enter an CD-key for the DooM 3 game and ROE (the addon). I reinstalled the game but one of the CD-keys is always missing and I am not able to get into the game. I was able to play the game  with downloading and installing through the GOG Galaxy fronted without entering anything else. Does anybody knows about that or maybe someone else here with the same problem? Assuming that I have bought an online version of the game I am still wondering that I am having problems with the CD-key now.

regards

I am sure on Your game page on GoG site should also be those keys. Check more -> serial keys .

Posted (edited)

Sorry there are no options like this in my DooM 3 menu in the GOG Galaxy front end. There was no need no for any kind of CD-keys through the installation and the last days playing the game. It was as easy to use as it should be for an online version of a game. I retried playing the game but now both keys that had shown up for the regular game and the add on are now gone ... ? To be honest I am german and I am using the german version of GOG and GOG-Galaxy.

Thank you anyway for your response. Any other (helpful) suggestions?

If it's anything like how it works on Steam, when you install Doom3, make sure you install the base game first, run it, then install RoE and run that. If the RoE key trigger ends up occurring without RoE having been run, or RoE is run first, the automatic process used to insert the key in the installation can go out of sync.

Gog version install both D3 and RoE as single instalation. When You first run it, it will ask for keys. I checked it. Serial keys are in place I write earlier, go to gog Web site, to Your game list, find Doom3 and open it. You will see page with installer download and offline files download, go to "More" and click on "Serial keys", it will open page with those keys.

37 minutes ago, Gzegzolka said:

Gog version install both D3 and RoE as single instalation. When You first run it, it will ask for keys. I checked it. Serial keys are in place I write earlier, go to gog Web site, to Your game list, find Doom3 and open it. You will see page with installer download and offline files download, go to "More" and click on "Serial keys", it will open page with those keys.

As I mentioned before I installed the game with the GOG front end Galaxy and the game worked just fine without entering any CD-keys. I don't know what happened to my installation that it started annoying me with prompts to enter the CD-key to get the game started. I will check out their website tomorrow about that. It is weekend over here.

Anyway I installed the BfG Edition too which is also included in the latest GOG DooM 3 offer and I am able to play the game again without any CD-key input during the installation.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

If it's anything like how it works on Steam, when you install Doom3, make sure you install the base game first, run it, then install RoE and run that. If the RoE key trigger ends up occurring without RoE having been run, or RoE is run first, the automatic process used to insert the key in the installation can go out of sync.

At GOG the game and the add on are one package and one installation. Worked fine without the input of any CD-key. Still haven't tried RoE yet. Never heard about any dependencies between DooM 3 and his Add on RoE but thank you anyway for sharing this information.

This might be a bit of a non-answer; but maybe try using a Doom 3 source port, I'd be surprised if any of these asked for a CD-key
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Category:Doom_3_ports

Honestly I'd just recommend playing with a source port either way for stuff like resolutions above 720p and proper widescreen support, Dhewm3 in particular is pretty much just like vanilla Doom 3 otherwise

Can confirm my Steam copy went out of sync too one time and it was quite annoying, just used dhewm3 and my problems disappeared, plus dat faked EAX audio.

Your CD keys are stored under 'base\doomkey' and 'base\xpkey' in the doom 3 folder. Check their contents and try keeping an eye on them when launching the game and entering the keys. I recall something wonky happening to those files under some circumstances, you might be able to prevent it by making sure they each contain the key and then Right Click -> Properties and check "Read-only" on them.

I got that problem too. but fixed.
Go to your profile on GOG and search for your games menu. Go to Doom 3 and search for the menu "other things" (or similar) there you can find the keys.
DISCONNECT INTERNET on your computer, then put the keys in the game menu.

OPTION2: got to your Doom3 base folder, open doomkey and xpkey and write your keys there (without the two last numbers)

On 6/9/2024 at 10:37 AM, Gzegzolka said:

I am sure on Your game page on GoG site should also be those keys. Check more -> serial keys .

Yes you were right I've found my keys there even at the german gog site and my DooM 3 copy is working fine again. I am still wondering I could play DooM 3 before without entering any keys and I still don't know why the game came up with asking for CD-keys later.

I am still playing the original version of the game I have downloaded from gog but thank you guys all for your responses anyway!

On 6/9/2024 at 4:07 PM, No-Man Baugh said:

This might be a bit of a non-answer; but maybe try using a Doom 3 source port, I'd be surprised if any of these asked for a CD-key
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Category:Doom_3_ports

Honestly I'd just recommend playing with a source port either way for stuff like resolutions above 720p and proper widescreen support, Dhewm3 in particular is pretty much just like vanilla Doom 3 otherwise

Thanks for the hint. I had to switch to dhewm3 too because of another reason you can read here if you like. But anyway dhewm3 seems to work fine for DooM 3 and yes it is pretty vanilla of course.

On 6/9/2024 at 5:32 PM, Lila Feuer said:

Can confirm my Steam copy went out of sync too one time and it was quite annoying, just used dhewm3 and my problems disappeared, plus dat faked EAX audio.

What is that "dat faked EAX audio"?

It's not really faked. Doom3 had hardware EAX support due to an agreement with Creative. Dhewm3 uses OpenAL's software implementation.

3 hours ago, Edward850 said:

It's not really faked. Doom3 had hardware EAX support due to an agreement with Creative. Dhewm3 uses OpenAL's software implementation.

Yes dhewm3 "sounds" slightly different compared to vanilla DooM 3 in my humble opinion too.

I was gonna look for a thread I replied over at GOG about a similar problem I had while trying to setup Doom 3 + Resurrection of Evil when it was added to my account from my previous purchase of BFG Edition a couple of years ago, but then I stumbled onto this thread about some users experiencing a shortage of CD keys and not having a CD key in their accounts at the moment. I hope this problem gets sorted out ASAP for customers looking to buy the game over there. As for what I was going to suggest if it might help with getting the CD key to work, from my experience I had to manually insert my respective CD keys in <doom3-folder>\base from my GOG account page on a browser then insert it in the following format.

AAAABBBBCCCCDDDD EF
// Example.
// Do not distribute any actual CD keys.

After doing that, the game was able to see both of my CD keys and let me proceed onto the game.

On 6/17/2024 at 1:14 AM, AmethystViper said:

I was gonna look for a thread I replied over at GOG about a similar problem I had while trying to setup Doom 3 + Resurrection of Evil when it was added to my account from my previous purchase of BFG Edition a couple of years ago, but then I stumbled onto this thread about some users experiencing a shortage of CD keys and not having a CD key in their accounts at the moment. I hope this problem gets sorted out ASAP for customers looking to buy the game over there. As for what I was going to suggest if it might help with getting the CD key to work, from my experience I had to manually insert my respective CD keys in <doom3-folder>\base from my GOG account page on a browser then insert it in the following format.

AAAABBBBCCCCDDDD EF
// Example.
// Do not distribute any actual CD keys.

After doing that, the game was able to see both of my CD keys and let me proceed onto the game.

I simply entered the CD-Keys from the gog website I have found in my game list into the screen I have been prompted to from the game and could continue too up to level 18 as mentioned before (you can read above). Still haven't tried RoE yet.