Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darch

Custom Palette Patern

Question

So, I'm messing around with an experimental palette that doesn't follow the Doom pattern (the colors are unsorted). I converted some textures to it with Slade and everything was fine until I opened DoomBuilder: the textures looked like this in 'visual mode' (they displayed correctly in the texture browser screen)

Spoiler

DB.png.b59765d8ec174d8d9857a088387bfa26.pngDB2.png.20116dd9894a731c3aa97ac798ef9651.png

Then I ran it with GZDoom; it displayed correctly in truecolor, but not in software mode:

Spoiler

gzDtruecolor.png.e1e355aa0637fc81d2bb62aee226586b.png114618268_gzsoftwarerenderer.png.ceadc9be4d1765eae61069dff6fa0937.png

So, my question is, do all custom palettes need to follow the same color pattern as the default Doom palette? (I'm going to replace all the graphics, so no worries about the HUD.)

2 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Darch said:

do all custom palettes need to follow the same color pattern as the default Doom palette?

They don't. However, I suspect you didn't generate a new COLORMAP to go with the new palette. The software renderer uses the COLORMAP to determine how colors fade from one to the other in different light levels and under diminished lighting. If your new palette shuffles things around a lot, the new ranges won't match the existing patterns in the Doom 2 palette, which causes the default COLORMAP to be a garbled mess.

In Slade, you can click on your PLAYPAL lump, then go to the Palette options menu and choose "Generate Colormaps" to generate a new COLORMAP lump. Also, just in case you didn't do it yet, also choose "Generate Palettes" so that the appropriate pain, item pickup and radsuit palettes are added.

Thanks, @Aurelius! I had a 'custom colormap' that wasn't really compatible with this palette. Generating a new one with Slade did the trick.