Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cutman

[Community Project] Second Mix! Combine your favorite classic maps! (Slots claimed!)

not sure if I'll participate, need to read the rules a bit carefully too
was thinking of mixing MAP04 from Doom 2 with either E1M3 or E2M2...

Posted (edited)

@DoomGuy999

Selection 1: E6M9 - Shattered Homecoming

Selection 2: E1M1 - Hangar

Map 32: Hangar Homecoming

Side Notes

Spoiler

Does the resource wad contain sigil II textures? Also, I'm not the best with map info and stuff, if there is a tutorial please show me. I'd want to do a phobos sky. Please ignore my custom title. the last map I actually released was 9 months ago. 

Edited by DoomGuy999

Posted (edited)

First Map: Plutonia MAP27 (Anti-Christ)
Second Map: Plutonia MAP31 (Cyberden)

Desired Slot: MAP28

Would've chosen TEETH.wad as the second choice but seems that's not allowed.

Good luck with the project, hope we can at least finish ours before yours is out. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, roadworx said:

hmmm. will there be any form of quality control in this? you're much more experienced than most cp managers (seemingly a rarity these days), though i'm still cautious.

I am fairly lenient than most people but maps that look carelessly thrown together I will pick up on. Like I said in the post you have to try and make a good effort. If a map is submitted that doesn't meet quality standards I will encourage the author to retry. See my example map for expected quality, though even this I consider above average for what I expect!

1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

How much liberty am I supposed to take? My plan right now is to basically take the kind of island seen on Erebus with the kind of building design present, but will probably map with more modern sensibilities.

And I don't want to have the water pit and maybe lose some buildings that don't fit.

That is entirely up to you! You will be the judge of what elements of the two map you should use, whether it's just a set of traps or how the level is decorated. If I walk around the map and can't see a single thing referencing either map I may inquire. However I have been playing these games for decades so even if the references are tucked away I'm sure I'll spot and accept them.

1 hour ago, DoomGuy999 said:

@DoomGuy999

Side Notes

Reveal hidden contents

Does the resource wad contain sigil II textures? Also, I'm not the best with map info and stuff, if there is a tutorial please show me. I'd want to do a phobos sky. Please ignore my custom title. the last map I actually released was 9 months ago. 

The pack should have the Sigil 2 textures in there.

4 minutes ago, DoomGappy said:

Good luck with the project, hope we can at least finish ours before yours is out. 

Thanks, I hope so too!

Cutman, is it okay if I put one little corruption cards reference/ easter egg?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, DoomGuy999 said:

Cutman, is it okay if I put one little corruption cards reference/ easter egg?

Sure if it doesn't take away from the theme of the project!

Ok so the slots filled up like hotcakes, but we have some issues!

@JackDBS Your choices must be from two different IWADs. Sadly no Master Levels this time, I wanted to keep things simple. Maybe in a future one we'll include them! I've kept you a slot if you wish to change maps.

Doom2 MAP01 has been claimed three times! @NiGHTS108 got there first, followed by @Meyland12 and
@DynamiteKaitorn.

Doom E4M6 was claimed first by @Djoga then by @Gothic.

Plutonia MAP01 was claimed by @WASFDDDDD first, then by @mr-around

Doom E1M1 was first claimed by @Meyland12 then by @DoomGuy999

In the spirit of making a unique set of maps, would any of you be willing to change your claimed map choices? Have a think, there's tons of possibilities. If you have your heart set on a combination I won't unclaim your slots but I will at least have to space them about a bit in the finished product. If any of you wish to change your map choices just let me know. Feel free to discuss this matter with each other here.

For everyone else who claimed slots, you're locked in! Check the spreadsheet as a confirmation, I will update the front post later.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Cutman said:

Doom2 MAP01 has been claimed three times! @NiGHTS108 got there first, followed by @Meyland12 and
@DynamiteKaitorn.

Do any of you guys want to switch? I hate to be stubborn but I mean, I did get there first and I think my idea is quite funny (I’m thinking some kind of like, Entryway-ception with Go 2 It in a sense)

(Also, worth noting that Entryway and Hangar has already been fused in Amalgoom)

You know what? Screw it, i'm gonna join >:3333

Selection 1: E4M4 from Ultimate Doom

Selection 2: Map 14: The Inmost Dens from Doom 2

Map slot: 14

...fuck it

i'll be mixing map10 from doom 2 with map23 of plutonia. slot 23?

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Cutman said:

@Cutman

In that case, I'd like to switch to E3M5

Edited by Gothic

Very interesting project.
@Cutman
I'd like to mix Doom II map06 with Plutonia map08.
Slot 11 works for me but I don't mind switching.

I think I will give this a shot.

@Cutman
First Map Choice: Plutonia MAP24
Second Map Choice: TNT MAP31

Desired Map Slot: MAP15

Posted (edited)

@Cutman

First map choice: Doom 2 Map09
Second map choice: TNT map16
Desired map slot: Map09

Also, when's the deadline? 

@Cutman

First Map Choice: Doom II Map09

Second Map Choice: Plutonia Experiment Map02

Desired map slot: Map11

Map Name: The Pit of Souls

DOOM0078.png.4f8c1496c48edb292f324bbf2a3bb5df.png

DOOM0079.png.f42608bb0fa40c2c6f951f88ccb94fa9.png

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Cutman said:

Sure if it doesn't take away from the theme of the project!

Ok so the slots filled up like hotcakes, but we have some issues!

@JackDBS Your choices must be from two different IWADs. Sadly no Master Levels this time, I wanted to keep things simple. Maybe in a future one we'll include them! I've kept you a slot if you wish to change maps.

@DynamiteKaitorn.

Plutonia MAP01 was claimed by @WASFDDDDD first, then by @mr-around

Doom E1M1 was first claimed by @Meyland12 then by @DoomGuy999

In the spirit of making a unique set of maps, would any of you be willing to change your claimed map choices? Have a think, there's tons of possibilities. If you have your heart set on a combination I won't unclaim your slots but I will at least have to space them about a bit in the finished product. If any of you wish to change your map choices just let me know. Feel free to discuss this matter with each other here.

For everyone else who claimed slots, you're locked in! Check the spreadsheet as a confirmation, I will update the front post later.

Changing wouldn't be a problem for me, I just picked Congo because I wanted an exterior level to contrast Underhalls

How does Well of Souls instead of Congo sound?

(Is there seriously not a single archvile in Well of Souls? Damnit, and I had such good plans for them too...)

Edited by WASFDDDDD

@Cutman
First map choice: Doom 2 MAP24 “The Chasm”
Second map choice: Sigil E5M1 “Baphomet's Demesne”
Desired map slot: 31

Yup, I'm not done with The Chasm yet ... ;-) (Have been contributing a Chasm tribute to the Tribute Quilt II community project.)

Whoops, I just saw that Doom 2 MAP24 is already one of @Bendy1's map choices. If this is not desireable, I'd like to keep slot 31, but make up my mind for my first map choice.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

There's no restriction on picking a name for a map, right?

Nope, just nothing offensive.

The slots are filling up but we have some more duplicate map entries!

@Gothic chose TNT MAP16 first before @Cutman 999 did. Could you work out a replacement map to use if your heart isn't set on it?

@Cutman 999 chose Plutonia's Well of Souls just before @Quin and @WASFDDDDD. Could you discuss if you're willing to change that map? Also slot 11 was taken so I moved Quin to slot 12.

9 hours ago, Cutman 999 said:

@Cutman

Also, when's the deadline? 

I wanted to gauge interest before setting a strict deadline, however 3 weeks after someone claims a slot I will badger them to see progress. I'll set a hard deadline once every slot is filled and I'm confident it can be met.

Edited by Cutman

If more IWADS are aviable to be used, it could be better imo. But for not messing up too much the things, the way it was done it's good. Oh well, i could always trying to do my own take!

A way to better understand what slot use for their mashups is to create a list of what maps are free to use here on OP or in the levels sheet, it's a good idea?

I played yesterday the E4MAP01 mashup, cool map and both levels are recognizable somehow, i didn't understand what the secret Blue key does, as well as the broken BIGDOOR2 in the E4M1 outdoor area, are the things connected?

While i'm pretty tempted to join this, i'm not sure i'll do It... Maybe in the future? I was thinking of a good pair to join as well...

Spoiler

Too bad Dead Simple is already taken, because this morning i had in mind a match made in Hell with E2M8 lol

Well, i could always doing that at my own as i wrote above

Also, talking about maps with in-game special assets (ExM8, MAP07, MAP32 keen special), they follow the same rules you gave for MAP30 (remove the main fight/gimmick from the chosen map)? Or they can be mashed up in a new way, with the main gimmick modified for the occasion?

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

I played yesterday the E4MAP01 mashup, cool map and both levels are recognizable somehow, i didn't understand what the secret Blue key does, as well as the broken BIGDOOR2 in the E4M1 outdoor area, are the things connected?

Whoops! I broke something while trying to help multiplayer stuff. I'll upload a new version. Edit: Redownload to fix the door.

13 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Also, talking about maps with in-game special assets (ExM8, MAP07, MAP32 keen special), they follow the same rules you gave for MAP30 (remove the main fight/gimmick from the chosen map)? Or they can be mashed up in a new way, with the main gimmick modified for the occasion?

If your chosen slot has the ability to use the specials (which is only useful for Doom2 maps), you can use them. Otherwise no. You'll have to get creative!

If we get a 'Third Mix' after this I will definitely open up more IWADs for use!

Unfortunately I would like to inflict a map on you.

MAP13 I guess, will mash up TNT MAP02 + E2M4. Should be interesting since the gameplay of each is pretty much the opposite of the other. We'll see what I can do!

6 hours ago, Cutman said:

@Cutman 999 chose Plutonia's Well of Souls just before @Quin and @WASFDDDDD. Could you discuss if you're willing to change that map? Also slot 11 was taken so I moved Quin to slot 12.

Could you spread us all out some more instead? I'm all for more variety, but asking people to change what maps they're doing so much is a little bit much to ask tbh

I think with just 3 maps sourcing from Well of Souls out of a full 32, it's probably fine as long as they're all distinctive in their own ways. Just don't let any more in

Posted (edited)

I'd like to give it a try myself.

@Cutman

First map choice: E2M6 (Doom)

Second map choice: MAP08 (Doom 2)
Desired map slot: MAP13.

Edited by DukeOfDoom

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WASFDDDDD said:

Could you spread us all out some more instead? I'm all for more variety, but asking people to change what maps they're doing so much is a little bit much to ask tbh

I think with just 3 maps sourcing from Well of Souls out of a full 32, it's probably fine as long as they're all distinctive in their own ways. Just don't let any more in

I agree actually. I will still continue to point out conflicts in case one of the authors wants as much uniqueness as possible.

@DukeOfDoom had to move you to slot 18 as 13 just got took!