Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViolentBeetle

[MBF21] Paint it Doom: 22 levels community project with maps built out of (mostly) simple colors in Ancient Aliens palette [Release Candidate 2 - Playtesters wanted]

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, B00m3rDoomer said:

Well, I have just tested map 1 with Chibi Doom + voxel weapons for fun:) This is totally praticable, and let's say f***** hard ! (quickly abandoned my plan to test it in UV and restarted it HMP) The map is gorgeous, well designed and provides a good flow. Honestly this is the first map I find where Chibi is practicable and is meaningful

Good luck. Chibi voxels look fun.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

13 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Map 23 (the last one) - a missing texture

Wait, how did it lower? It's not supposed to lower or be red. At least if this is what I think it is, the platform has no tag. Do we have a rogue tag 0 somewhere?

5 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Wait, how did it lower? It's not supposed to lower or be red. At least if this is what I think it is, the platform has no tag. Do we have a rogue tag 0 somewhere?

Well it happens when I pick up the key

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Well it happens when I pick up the key

Yeah, so it seems that there's tag 0 lines around it. Not sure why it doesn't happen for me, it really should.

@DeetOpianSky please fix it. Don't know if there are supposed to be tags or what.

As a broader intermediate update: There's currently 3 maps that might need some attention, but otherwise it's going smoothly. When they are in, I should be able to release RC2.

There will be some shuffling in "medium difficulty" set, don't know what I was thinking ranking Shifty Sands so low.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

2 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Yeah, so it seems that there's tag 0 lines around it. Not sure why it doesn't happen for me, it really should.

@DeetOpianSky please fix it. Don't know if there are supposed to be tags or what.

As a broader intermediate update: There's currently 3 maps that might need some attention, but otherwise it's going smoothly. When they are in, I should be able to release RC2.

There will be some shuffling in "medium difficulty" set, don't know what I was thinking ranking Shifty Sands so low.

Update uploaded to drive addressing the issues above along with a few more tweaks.

On another note: 
I still haven't heard back from The Neskimos (the band that made the music featured in Hollowmind).
Took a week the first time I messaged them so I would like to give it a few more days and hope to hear back soon.

On 6/28/2024 at 9:12 PM, ViolentBeetle said:

Will try it next time I'll need to edit something.

Update: Wouldn't it make more sense to make the linedef in front of the fence impassable? Arch-vile will throw you over but you won't be able to drop, which works, I guess, but a bit weird.

I just made RC 5, this one has player and land monster blocking lines on the "inside" :

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/guixjfoqoab42u816lkr8/paint-it-doom_cbm_diy-city-rc5.wad?rlkey=y20qxx1suknhp3yv970vebvib&st=uoc6pb54&dl=0

Posted (edited)

I'm free to playtest if there's still a need.

Should I wait for the next RC? Seems like you guys are pretty far along with feedback on the first one.

20 minutes ago, Warboss_Gegguz said:

Should I wait for the next RC? Seems like you guys are pretty far along with feedback on the first one.

There won't be many changes, it seems, but there's still one thing that needs to be looked at by the mapper before RC2.

Probably better if you wait for it.

23 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

There won't be many changes, it seems, but there's still one thing that needs to be looked at by the mapper before RC2.

Probably better if you wait for it.

Got it.

In the meantime I did do some basic testing just to see how it behaves in the other major MBF21 source ports.

The latest version of Helion didn't show any issues.

Woof! and Eternity Engine on the other hand had a fair amount of sprite clipping and billboards acting weird. So yeah, best to avoid the "more vanilla" ports. This happened even on the GL backend of Eternity, so it must be something related to how the more "vanilla" ports render objects as a whole.

Spoiler

image_2024-07-07_183043006.png.d5a5f8fc8eb82759ee8d02b709a7777c.png

So now we know what ports it is and isn't compatible with. Not that it was unplayable, but in a wad all about visuals that sort of stuff is obviously undesirable.

2 minutes ago, Warboss_Gegguz said:

Woof! and Eternity Engine on the other hand had a fair amount of sprite clipping and billboards acting weird.

That's just my attempt at giving road markings volume without them being bumpy. Should pretty much only happen on this road. I guess some ports do better job at handling it, but it's really minor either way.

40 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

That's just my attempt at giving road markings volume without them being bumpy. Should pretty much only happen on this road. I guess some ports do better job at handling it, but it's really minor either way.

I just like to be thorough when bug hunting. That and to figure out what ports to specify as good/bad in the readme.

Not game breaking in the slightest, but something to note is all.

7 hours ago, Warboss_Gegguz said:

I just like to be thorough when bug hunting. That and to figure out what ports to specify as good/bad in the readme.

Not game breaking in the slightest, but something to note is all.

Appreciate it. Just wanted to point out this issue is not that big of a deal.

Ok, all the changes are in, let's see how they hold. It's Release Candidate 2 time.

There's some minor tweaks, but 3 maps changed places: Shifty Sands went further away, while Everybody Loves Sunshine and Paint Theft is a Serious Crime moved earlier.

If anyone cares, the progress table will serve as the testing tracker.

I will gradually go through the maps and mark them green as I confirm they work.

Posted (edited)

Working my way through atm. 

As of map 8, no visual or tech issues. Harder than I expected (granted I'm on UV) but nothing too rough. 

Edit: To clarify, when I say "Harder than expected" I mean the visual style didn't give off the vibes of something in this realm of difficulty. Not that it's too hard or anything.

As in I wasn't expecting the cute MSpaint-inspired WAD to have slaughter-esque levels... but I guess the pistol start should've been a hint, lol.

Edited by Warboss_Gegguz

It's nice to see an influence on the DIY project to make a community project out of it.

Found a couple issues when I was playing through the wad in GZDoom 4.12.2 on HNTR.

Spoiler

MAP05
Floating yellow key? I'm not sure if that's intentional.

Screenshot_Doom_20240711_155154.png.69d3b6d8451ae0256f54dd2ec3171b9d.png

MAP10

Zombieman stuck in the closet.

Screenshot_Doom_20240711_162027.png.d0bcbad76be922c8c07d823254cdc235.png

MAP11

The area before the exit felt too generous with the ammo in HNTR.

And a Zombieman is stuck in a closet.Screenshot_Doom_20240711_164521.png.d925d2872ae19431c79b10374007091b.png

MAP12

Why linedefs 23366-23368, 23392-23396, & 24166 are set with the Block players flag?

And also a chaingunner is stuck in a closet in a infinte teleporting loop.

Screenshot_Doom_20240711_170507.png.da864c87d6394409e825e662e49c98bb.png

MAP14

Some of the monsters are stuck in the closet.

Screenshot_Doom_20240709_223115.png.fb90f3fe994ad87af6bd03d8714e9236.png

MAP15

Floating armor bonus.

Screenshot_Doom_20240709_224228.png.abfff62a536b4a78b45acc9091eac1d9.png

MAP16

The walls at the final area are passable (Linedefs 871, 1387, 1389, 1390, 1393, 1395, 1396, 1400, 1401, 1404-1407, 1409-1414, 3770, 3778, 3801, 3804, 6930, 6973, 6974, 6978-6980, 6987, 6988, 6990, 6991, 6997, 7003, 7019, & 7024).

MAP22

The Invulnerability in HNTR feels unnecessary at the final area.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, S3M_XM said:

Floating yellow key? I'm not sure if that's intentional.

Pretty sure it's supposed to be, there's a platform just for this.

Well god damn it, we just can't have smooth release, can we?

@Beubeu I'm not sure what you were trying to do with your scroller closets, please check it out.

@Moustachio Seems like you didn't give some closets return lines. Can you fix them?

@HiMyNameIsChair It's indeed a little weird, are they needed? But they are kinda out of the way, I'm fine with them staying. And there's a chaingunner, not sure what's up with that, can you check?

@DeetOpianSky There's more than one line with the same tag, might not work for return. Also how's it going with soundtrack allowance, while we at it?

@Chookum You seem to have a lot of armor bonuses clipping over the edges of the staircases. Some of them might get moved if a platform moves nearby. I might fix them myself, but I can't find the specific location on the screenshot. Also I noticed on the No Feelings there's a slime trail if you look at text directly, it's small but appears at the start, try and fix it if you can.

@Timilyo80 I think you accidentally opened the map in Boom format and that deleted impassable for player flags on the linedefs. I have now player-proofed the red lines back as well as edges of the exit staircase. Is there anywhere else you used player-blocking lines?

29 minutes ago, S3M_XM said:

MAP22

The Invulnerability in HNTR feels unnecessary at the final area.

It's HNTR, it's to be expected.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

You seem to have a lot of armor bonuses clipping over the edges of the staircases. Some of them might get moved if a platform moves nearby. I might fix them myself, but I can't find the specific location on the screenshot. Also I noticed on the No Feelings there's a slime trail if you look at text directly, it's small but appears at the start, try and fix it if you can.

Oh sorry, I forgot to state that is Thing 1025, where you go outside after the passage that had imps, cacodemons, and a pain elemental.

Basically where the thing floats up is circled.

1066134013_Screenshot2024-07-11184230.jpg.8b2bc0d23e1d0e742eb842aec72fd41c.jpg

It's HNTR, it's to be expected.

I can see that.

Edited by S3M_XM : Meant to type thing instead of things; and also I forgot to remove the uncircled image.

@DeetOpianSky There's more than one line with the same tag, might not work for return. Also how's it going with soundtrack allowance, while we at it?

Update uploaded to drive for Hollowmind.

I haven't heard back from the band yet and have emailed idmaint to see if maybe permission was given without me receiving the notification.
I have asked a composer to create a new track in the case I'm not able to use it or to possibly use it prior to the final encounter with a music changer.
If we get to a point we're 3 days away from final submission let me know and I'll pick something else if neither of the above options have come to fruition.

I have changed the link in the OP for hotfixed version with MAP16 no longer should be broken.

Some closet issues are still unaddressed.

Posted (edited)

A series of videos dropped on Necro Insomniac's YouTube today showing gameplay in GZDOOM? with the Blood Dead Redemption mod.

I've uploaded an updated version of Hollowmind to my drive.

Spoiler

QoL improvements that should ensure that it's more playable in GZDOOM or other ports with infinite height monsters being turned off and/or infinite height explosions being turned off (I forget if those are separate options).
Progression should be less unweildy, added some touches here and there so that doors may be more recognizable.

Edited by DeetOpianSky : Corrected text.

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2024 at 6:00 PM, S3M_XM said:

MAP12

Why linedefs 23366-23368, 23392-23396, & 24166 are set with the Block players flag?

ah okay, i see what you're referring to. if I recall, it was essentially just for peace of mind, to ensure that when the bars rise up to lock the player in for the Red Key fight, they couldn't accidentally or intentionally find a way out of the arena through any kind of oversight on my part. I just didn't want to take any chances.

It's not strictly necessary, but it's also not in the way, so I don't really see a reason to remove it. i guess I could make the circular ledge behind it impassable at least, so players don't accidentally bump into it if they're jumping down from the ledge.

On 7/11/2024 at 6:00 PM, S3M_XM said:

And also a chaingunner is stuck in a closet in a infinte teleporting loop.

TY for pointing out the Chaingunner BTW. I had a feeling I knew what the issue was, and my assumption turned out to be correct. Just a TP destination where all the skills weren't ticked. mercifully easy fix. gonna have a look around for any others like it, just to be safe.

icYu09E.png

Edited by HiMyNameIsChair

Posted (edited)

V1.6 of Defiled Dreamscape: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t787aYwUFoynJdlUQ0gxXJFX_dFVhodj/view?usp=sharing

-fixed a looping Chaingunner on lower skills due to a TP destination not having all skills checked off.

-combed over the map for any other TP destinations like this and did find a few albeit most only presenting minor issues. these have been fixed as well

-in the red key arena, I've made the half circle platform on the upper level impassible, so players can't jump down from the ledge and bonk into a set of player-blocking lines meant to safeguard against potential oversights.

Sorry for the wait. 

Edited by HiMyNameIsChair

Update for Shifty Sands: pid-moustachio-V3.zip

• Fixed the broken monster closet.
  • Added more detail outside.
  • Added extra cover in the red key room + slight geometry edits.
  • Flagged two of the ending arch-viles as multiplayer only. Upon replay, they felt really cheap to me. I felt like by removing them, it was a more fair challenge while still being difficult enough to keep me interested.

Posted (edited)

Update for Chromophobia; cacos now cannot get stuck in central rising sector in the final arena after picking up both keys

Nvm, Beetle already made a fix, thanks mate

Edited by Razza

I think this is a milestone to make a status update. If you follow the spreadsheet you can see that the "medium" chapter is now greened out. The testing is going slower than I hoped, it's easy to get burnt out when you have to play multiple 500+ monster maps. I really should put a cap on monster count next time.

Still, beside what was already posted, there was no significant issues.