6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. ...

Prepared Leaderboard

1. ...

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag at the bottom of the post for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In July 2024 the DWIronman League dies to Ancient Aliens (-complevel 9), by @skillsaw. For the summer special, we had to do a real one. This Cacoward-winning set from 2016 is probably known to every single Ironman enthusiast, and it is most definitely one of the standout Doom sets in the last 10 years. It was the aliens which made Doom, after all. Super-colourful, fun to play, with some tongue-in-cheek references and a lot of ambushes you did not (or did, if you're a speedruner) see coming. Keep the Nectar Flowing, Leave Your Sol Behind, be Shocked by their Culture, Dare to Fly Where Eagles Soar and, finally - find out who The Ones Behind It All really are.

Every episode of Ancient Aliens ends with a death exit, so they're basically challenges on their own. The current, working threshold is reaching MAP30. I know Ancient Aliens is quite a long and very, very difficult set (on par with AV?) and I would prefer to not contrast one grindy and long selection with a selection that isn't as grindy, but it definitely is long and it wears you down with time. There's a poll in the server right now, but feel free to debate: in case people (due to length primarily) would prefer only E1 to be run, I am happy to make the threshold of survival reaching MAP11. I decided to go with reaching MAP30 as the goal immediately because segmented runs in the past were frowned upon, and if I made the threshold MAP11 at the beginning and then expanded it, it would call into question segmented runs, as it wouldn't be a single run. This way we can kind-of avoid that.

I do expect a higher-than-two number of MAP01 deaths. :^)

Essential Info

• Doom II (doom2.wad)
  • Compatibility level 9, or "Boom (strict)" for ZDoom derivative ports.
  • 29+2 maps.
  • As per @Andromeda: "Make sure to run using the latest version of the source port of your choosing, MAP24 was updated relatively recently and the change made it use extended nodes IIRC, which some outdated ports don't support and thus may crash upon reaching that level."
  • Time estimate (total, if survival): A lot, took me 6 hours on a casual playthrough. Episode 1 is 1 - 2 hours long. E2: 1.5 - 3 hours. E3: 2 - 3 hours. So you get 4.5 - 8 hours. Somewhat like BtSX.

> Download Ancient Aliens

prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file aaliens.wad -complevel 9 -skill 4 -record demo_name.lmp -warp

Rules:

Spoiler

• There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:

• To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.

• To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of active (playing the set) preparation that is strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.

• UV only (excepting 1CC format), continuous recording. No pistol-starting each level.
  • Demos (recorded using any port which can play back vanilla demo files, such as PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity, DSDADoom, Woof, Chocolate...), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
    • If you stream your run on Twitch, please highlight/save it so that it doesn't go missing in case someone's very late with the obituaries.
  • No additional WADs may be loaded. Cosmetic WADs are fine if they're purely cosmetic.
  • No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run, its category 3 included.
  • No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.
  • If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on the first map of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than their competitors will rank higher than them.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.
  • If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.
  • Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will stop your run immediately. You will still be registered as entering the next map (i.e. the one which you never entered) using a calculation to figure out what the intermission time would have been.
  • If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
  2. This is not a blind run. I have familiarity with the set - played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
  3. This is not a blind run. While I have not outright played it, I've watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous threads:

Hide contents

Spoiler

07 - Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)

08 - Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)

09 - Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)

10 - Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: WH-Wilou84)

11 - Perdition's Gate (winner: WH-Wilou84)

12 - UAC Ultra (winner: PjSpartacus)

Spoiler

01 - Jade Earth (winner: Demon of the Well)

02 - Legacy of Heroes (winner: Roofi)

03 - Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)

04 - Mapgame (winner: ClonedPickle)

05 - Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)

06 - Disturbia (winner: Ancalagon)

07 - Insertion (winner: Veinen)

08 - Unholy Realms (winner: Demon of the Well)

09 - Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)

10 - Endgame & Endpoint (winner: Veinen)

11 - Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)

12 - Doom the Way id Did (winner: kmc)

Spoiler

01 - Combat Shock 2 (winner: Killer5)

02 - Coffee Break E1 (winner: Eris)

03 - Warlock's Hearth (winner: Demon of the Well)

04 - 50 Monsters (winner: WH-Wilou84)

05 - Double Impact (winner: RjY)

06 - Rush (winner: WH-Wilou84)

07 - The Darkening E1 & E2 (winner: Veinen)

08 - The Plutonia Experiment (winner: Zero-Master)

09 - Community Chest 4 - MAP20: Interstellar Sickness and MAP21: Shaman's Device (winner: leodoom85)

10 - Doom 64 for Doom II (winner: Roofi)

11 - TNT: Renascence & TNT: Resistance (winner: an_mutt)

12 - Ultimate Doom the Way id Did (winner: an_mutt)

Spoiler

01 - Hellfire: Dreams (winner: Beginner)

02 - THT: Threnody - MAP10: Fomalhaut (winner: Scotty)

03 - Stardate 20X6 (winner: WH-Wilou84)

04 - Base Ganymede: Complete (winner: Vince Vega)

05 - The DWIronman League died waiting for SIGIL (winner: John Romero)

06 - SIGIL (winner: leodoom85)

07 - Vanguard & Lunatic (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

08 - 2017 Collection (winner: an_mutt - prep winner: Vince Vega)

09 - Revolution! (winner: NaZa - prep winner: Pegleg)

10 - Monster Hunter Part I & Part II (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

11 - Abcess (winner: Demon of the Well - prep winner: Steve D?)

12 - Scythe (winner: Spectre01 - prep winner: Arbys550)

Spoiler

01 - Hellscape (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Archi)

02 - No Sleep for the Dead (winner: Ancalagon - prep winner: Anima Zero)

03 - Baker's Dozen (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

04 - Occult Secrets of the Third Reich & Biotech is Godzilla (winner: joe-ilya - prep winner: Horus)

05 - Bloody Rust (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: dt_)

06 - Vrack 1, 2 and 3 (winner: ReaperAA - prep winner: Bashe)

07 - Running Late 2 (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Pegleg)

08 - Epic (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Daerik)

09 - Hell Revealed (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)

10 - Dark Resolution 2008 (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Austinado)

11 - 2002: A Doom Odyssey: 10th Anniversary Edition Episode 3 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

12 - Eviternity (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Pegleg)

Spoiler

01 - Sawdust (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Daerik)

02 - Alien Vendetta (winner: Demonologist - prep winner: Anima Zero)

03 - Criticality & Miasma (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)

04 - World Orifice (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Killer5)

05 - Violence (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: ScrappyMcDoogerton)

06 - Firebox (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: 4shockblast)

07 - Scythe 2 (winner: Arbys550 - prep winner: an_mutt)

08 - Resurgence (winner: Beginner - prep winner: Suitepee)

09 - The Eye (winner: galileo31dos01 - prep winner: an_mutt)

10 - Glaive & Glaive 2 (winner: Veinen - prep winner: Tezur0)

11 - Sunlust (winner: Daerik - prep winner: nobody)

12 - H2H-XMas (winner: Daerik - prep winner: 4shockblast)

Spoiler

01 - Realm of Shades (winner: mhrz - prep winner: Pegleg)

02 - Return to Hadron E1 (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: Maribo)

03 - Syringe (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: SCF)

04 - Jägermörder 1 and 2 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Maribo)

05 - The Rebirth (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: NaZa)

06 - Man on the Moon (winner: Master Medi - prep winner: ginc)

07 - Vigor (winner: akolai - prep winner: SCF)

08 - Somewhere in Time (winner: Archi - prep winner: NaZa)

09 - Sucker Punch 1 & 2 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

10 - Sharp Things (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: LadyMistDragon)
11 - Knee-Deep in the Dead + .deh (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: Lol 6)

12 - Christmas Cheer from the Chill Zone (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: NaZa)

Spoiler

01 - Bury My Heart Knee Deep (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Maribo)

02 - LAZAREVENANT - 13 map WIP demo (winner: Suitepee - prep winner: nobody)

03 - Demonic Deviation (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: nobody)

04 - Beyond Revival (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Anima Zero)

05 - Malevolence (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Anima Zero)

06 - Return to Purgatory (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Anima Zero)

07 - Shotgun Symphony (winner: joe-ilya - prep winner: LadyMistDragon)

08 - Mutiny (winner: Asbadagba - prep winner: nobody)

09 - Containment Area (winner: LadyMistDragon - prep winner: nobody)

10 - U N W E L C O M E (winner: Master Medi - prep winner: nobody)

11 - Absolute Dishonor (winner: NaZa - prep winner: nobody)

12 - Rowdy Rudy's Revenge (winner: Asbadagba - prep winner: Pegleg)

Spoiler

01 - Black Rain, Community Chest 3 MAP12 (winner: Asbadagba - prep winner: Anima Zero)

02 - 25 Years of Doom II (winner: joe-ilya - prep winner: Pegleg)

03 - ICAR2015 (winner: joe-ilya - prep winner: Pegleg)

04 - Deus Vult II (winner: Asbadagba - prep winner: ClumsyCryptid)

05 - Suspended in Dusk & Bauhaus (winner: Asbadagba - prep winner: Shepardus)

06 - Death Tormention III (winner: Asbadagba - prep winner: ClumsyCryptid)

Edited by NaZa

Posted (edited)

PSA: Make sure to run using the latest version of the source port of your choosing, MAP24 was updated relatively recently and the change made it use extended nodes IIRC, which some outdated ports don't support and thus may crash upon reaching that level.

Posted (edited)

Got a bit too cocky with a certain obstacle on MAP05. Category 2; I've played the set to its completion around exactly a year ago. Could've gotten my A handed to me on MAP03 and MAP04 had I not remembered secrets well. Played very hammy, quite nervous hand movements throughout, deserved to die even on MAP02 after activating a secret before I was actually ready. 

dwironman_jul24_naza.zip

Wow!

First of all, I did play through Ancient Aliens about a year ago, albeit on ITYTD. Plus I watched DoD's video on it, so I knew exactly what to expect from map 1.

And oh my, I actually survived map 1!! Yes, IMO, map 1 is really overwhelming and scary. Even with some prior knowledge I got lost and nearly died a couple of times. Brutal opener. ...but then of course I died to usual hitscan stuff on map 2, but whatever.

I really hope I didn't screw up anything with demo, since I'm on another system now. For me, this was a solid attempt.

Category: 2

Arrived to and died on: map 2

Map 1 exit time: 4:07

Port: Woof 14.5.0 -complevel boom

lildevil_aaliens_v1_2.zip

Dead on: MAP04

Kills: 45/89

Time: 17:11

DWIL_24-07_AAliens_SCF.zip

Been a good while since I played AA, but I still remembered most of the secrets. If only I also remembered how to get good.

Spoiler

Got caught by the staggered archvile attacks. I thought I was free to run for the teleporter, but another one was targeting me at the same time. I bet this wad is going to be a killer for the category 1 crowd. Three of the first four maps have gimmicks that can kill you very quickly, and Skillsaw loves his monster traps.

9 minutes ago, SCF said:

I bet this wad is going to be a killer for the category 1 crowd.

Assuming there are people in existence that still haven't played it. -_- It is the most popular wad according to the community rankings.

Posted (edited)

By the way, MAP30 can be completed so it should be counted towards survival IMO even if it's impossible to die there (provided someone gets that far :P).

Dead on: MAP22

Map entered by: 2:39:55

Time of death: 2:43:44 (3:49)

Kills: 64/187

Played on DSDA-Doom 0.27.5

avhunter-aaliens.zip

I don't fancy playing 5+ hours of Doom in one sitting, so I didn't exactly take my time on any of the maps here. My fast and loose playstyle should probably have gotten me killed way sooner, and I didn't even expect to make it past Episode 2. Lots of close calls throughout, but my fatal mistake was diving into 2 Arch-Viles in the open with nowhere to run or hide. Totally avoidable, if only I hadn't been so careless.

Spoiler

Ancient Aliens is a megawad that has never really vibed with me. I'm not a fan of the aesthetics, personally, and I don't like the two new enemy types introduced in Episode 2. The first episode is great, however, and Skillsaw is masterful at creating exciting combat scenarios. I know that AA is one of the community's all time favorite wads, but for me, Valiant beats it any day of the week.

Regarding the Ironman format, I would be in favor of splitting a megawad into chunks, and allowing a seperate recording for each episode. For example, you get one attempt at E1, one attempt at E2, and one attempt at E3. Similar to May's Ironman being split into two runs across two wads, except now the runs happen to be from the same wad. It could be applied on a wad by wad basis though. I don't think Scythe would need this episode treatment, for example, but the recently released Doom 2 In City Only is pretty unreasonable to do in one sitting.

I feel that Ancient Aliens is very well suited to splitting an attempt into episodes for sanity.  Every episode intentionally  ends with a death exit and there's an episode selection for ports that support it.

Not that it mattered in my case.  I went splat on the first map to guess who?  62/70 kills.  Type 2 - I have played this all the way through in 2017 but all that really accomplished was filling me with a dread that a blind player wouldn't go through.  Plus, I played on HMP back then so I'm thoroughly unprepared for the mercilessness of UV.  I'll be in the cellar with my participation points.

dwiron_aaliens_cnr.zip

I hope to at least get past MAP01, though I fully expect to die on MAP02 or MAP03.

On 7/1/2024 at 4:39 AM, Andromeda said:

PSA: Make sure to run using the latest version of the source port of your choosing, MAP24 was updated relatively recently and the change made it use extended nodes IIRC, which some outdated ports don't support and thus may crash upon reaching that level.

Version 1.1 changed MAP24's nodes, but version 1.2 reverted that change so the nodes are the same as in 1.0, but with some texture updates. Both versions use extended nodes, but 1.0 and 1.2 use uncompressed extended nodes while 1.1 uses compressed extended nodes. So you should be fine unless you happened to download 1.1 in the short time when that was the version on /idgames.

Dead on: Map 03
Time: 7:40
Kills: 49/93

Demo: dwil_24-07_dd.zip

I saved some rockets until next month~

RE: format, I also support episodic split - more ironmanning in a month, more schedule flexibility. In fact, I've been thinking of suggesting "individual episodes picked from megawads" for a few months before this. Even so, I don't mind an occasional full megawad on the table, I'll try go fast and die early anyway :)

Posted (edited)

My 2 cents: splitting up megawads by episode seems like it would be good for the hard ones that are going to kill most players in the first few maps. It gives everyone more Doom to play, and it's probably also nicer for the few who did make it further and had to reserve 3+ hours for the whole ordeal.

Just for fun I did a run of Ancient Aliens episode 2, and made it to the start of map 15 (while realizing I actually did not remember any of the secrets).

Edited by SCF

https://youtu.be/b1wDy33-NJo

Category 1-ish run (haven't played this since it first came out back in 2016), died on map 1 to the Cyberdemon with 66/70 monsters killed.

Guess having a streaming break for three and a half weeks leaves one a bit out of Dooming practice.

Cat.2 (since i have played this before

Dead: Map01

Kills: 40/70

Spoiler

Another shamefull run

Pressing start on the video below, starts the run.

Posted (edited)

Dead on: MAP13

Time of death: 2:06:04

Kills on death: 252/282

Wow, not a last minute run for once! Had to make sure I set aside enough time for this one before going on holiday :D
Fun to replay, the death itself was very unfortunate. Though as you get further into a WAD and start to remember less, one of the many traps is simply bound to get you. Glad I got through E1!

VytaanDWIronJuly2024.zip

After fully 3 years, I return for another Ironman run. One more time....

Had to do this because AA is one of my top 3 wads of all time. So anyways....

ReaperAA_AAliens_DWIL.zip

Category 2

Dead on: Map09

Got WOW.wad trolled by the cyberdemon. Infact, this is the first time I ever died to that cyberdemon. Still I think I did fine, considering how out of shape since I was playing Bungie's Marathon in the last few months and now coming back to Doom feels very weird and took me atleast 3/4 maps in the run to get adjusted to the Doom's movement physics. Also AA can be quite nasty at times.

Dead on: Map 01

Kills: 30/70

Time of death: 1:58

dwi_pegleg_aaliens_cat2.zip

I've played a bit of Ancient Aliens before, so call this submission Category 2. I like the setup of Map 01, and the way it's structured (at least, the way I look at it) around managing the separate encounters. In a twist, running around wildly saves the day prior to ending it, instead of just ending it prematurely like it usually does.

There is a reason Ancient Aliens is rated very highly--the encounters are set up well, the aesthetics are top notch, and the ammo, health, and armor distributions are well thought out. I prefer it on a lower difficulty level, but the same could be said for anything else. This mapset is fun, and it was a good choice.

On 7/5/2024 at 2:38 AM, Shepardus said:

I hope to at least get past MAP01, though I fully expect to die on MAP02 or MAP03.

Sadly it was not to be...

Category 2

Dead on MAP01 (1:06, 30 kills)

ironman_Shepardus_aaliens.zip

Posted (edited)

Cat 2

Death: MAP08
Kills: 82/233
Time: 42:21

I played this wad back in 2021, but I did the first levels for pure practice for speedruns (due to its high difficulty) I remembered some secret from the first maps, but knowing the pressure of this wad and the high precision in the confrontations, I should have gone slower.

The truth is I was so lucky on map06 (maybe my "real death"), I stayed at 1hp (no sense). Then on map08, I didn't expect to be surprised by the arachnotrons mancubus and my famous nemesis, ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡REVENANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the future I´ll try to be more patient in movements and be more cautious, because without these virtues, it will be difficult to face the megawads.

dwironman_bertt91_aaliens.zip

Edited by Bertt91

Posted (edited)

DEAD: Map06

Time of Arrival: 23:52

Kills: 23/130

Time of Death: 24:16

Port: DSDA-Doom 0.27.2

Drinks: 6

Demo: noisy_aaliens_ironman.zip

Cause of Death:

I forgot that fight escalated quickly.  And by "escalate", I mean a bunch of archviles.  Definitely should've cleared the area before hitting the switch.  Good run.

Wow i'ts been quite a while since the last time I participated in one of these! Ancient Aliens is one of my all time favorites, though last time I played it was probably early 2022 or late 2021.

Death on MAP08

Kills: 64/233

Time of death: 4:02 into the map, 38:12 into the run

Cause of death: Softened by a facerocket, squashed by a mancubus immediatly after in the first UFO encounter

Additional blabbering in spoiler:

Spoiler

All the knowledge I had for this run comes from the NoMo 100% Secrets D2All I uploaded to DSDA archive back in december 2021. I learned the routing quite well, but, given all my practice had been with no monsters, I didn't remember most of the encounters, though I was able to somewhat remember the setpieces and whatnot which carried me all the way to MAP08 without much trouble (there was a close call on MAP07 but we don't talk about that.)

My death was caused to me thinking I had more room to shoot rockets, combined with too much trust in the autoaim. Ended up being pushed back from the teleport destination into the floor of the UFO after confidently rocketing the ceiling, then a spectre ran into the scene and I annihilated it with a rocket but in the end it also annihilated me with the blast.

All in all, it was a fun run, I locked in and played very well in my opinion. MAP08 was always my achilles' heel back when I actively played this mapset, and I think I started overthinking things and overcalculating most of my steps. I was not in the flow anymore. But yeah, always down to play AA again, always love to revisit a classic.

The demo file is attached plus the video in the following spoiler. 

Spoiler

DWIL_AA_SharkyChip.zip