Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomRevolver

What kind of stuff would you like to see in Doom: The Dark Ages? (enemies, weapons, characters, game modes, lore, glorykills, types of level design, etc...)

Non-linear explorative maps with incidental combats. Not going to happen 

I think trying to at least reference doom 3 more would be great as it has not gotten much love from the modern games.

Otherwise, having more exploration focused secrets would be pretty cool as half of eternal's secrets was just punching a cracked wall which was a shame with how much fun stuff they could have done if they implemented movement into them more.

Collectibles that don't involve grinding like in Eternal, and more like 2016 where is a secret hunt or special challenges.

I want my creepy Doom 3 style demons back.

Less platforming, fuck that shit.

No ''handicaps'' to the player like Ancient Gods over abused. I really hated the slow-down water, the stone imp (shittiest enemy ever I swear).

I wouldn't mind a more Serious Sam style of game, with tons of enemies all at once, slaughterish in some ways.

If they do bring more melee, I hope they make a system for it and not just a ''press V to one-shot the demon''.

No cinematics, more seamless non-stop gameplay.

Since they are going for a ''medieval dark fantasy'' style, I wouldn't mind some power-metal inspired music here and there. Would be funny.

9 hours ago, DoomGuy999 said:

I do too, especially picking up the SSG in underhalls. A remade scene of that room would be cool, too.

it'd be funny if that same shotgun doomguy found in a sewer is the same one in eternal,just hand crafted and modified since it's implied the ssg in eternal is from doomguy's past

I want the enemies to be like how they are in classic doom, easy to mow down but brutal if you lack off. also I don't want to see any of that suit upgrade bullshit

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Endless said:

Collectibles that don't involve grinding like in Eternal, and more like 2016 where is a secret hunt or special challenges.

I want my creepy Doom 3 style demons back.

Less platforming, fuck that shit.

No ''handicaps'' to the player like Ancient Gods over abused. I really hated the slow-down water, the stone imp (shittiest enemy ever I swear).

I wouldn't mind a more Serious Sam style of game, with tons of enemies all at once, slaughterish in some ways.

If they do bring more melee, I hope they make a system for it and not just a ''press V to one-shot the demon''.

No cinematics, more seamless non-stop gameplay.

Since they are going for a ''medieval dark fantasy'' style, I wouldn't mind some power-metal inspired music here and there. Would be funny.

Or even melodic death metal, like Kalmah 

And I think there's hope with the creepy demon designs

Edited by DoomRevolver

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Deadwing said:

Non-linear explorative maps with incidental combats. Not going to happen 

I'm not losing hope on that. If they can really put a lot more enemies on screen and the slayer moves slower this time so you can't skip them easily, that design might be a possibility.

- A tutorial level based on Classic Doom / Doom 64 before Doomguy was found by the Night Sentinels.

- SnapMap 2.0 with custom geo from the start.

- More Master Levels and other gameplay modes (Arcade, Horde, etc.). Horde should have an endless mode.

- Co-op mode.

- Deathmatch multiplayer. They can even use the Sentinel civil war as lore justification.

- More Doom 3 references.

- Demonic dragons to fight.

- Restrained storytelling with fewer retcons.

- Time jumping for visual variety and cool moments.

- BFG 8000 that functions as part of the arsenal and not just a super weapon.

1 minute ago, AtimZarr1 said:

- SnapMap 2.0 with custom geo from the start.

Oh I wish so! But I have my doubts.

4 hours ago, AtimZarr1 said:

SnapMap 2.0 

Wait a minute... If they make a snapmap 2.0 they better make it so you can build more than 1 minute maps. Also, modding support.

The one thing that the new Dooms lack that would really make them feel more like the originals is non-disappearing corpses and gore. Maybe we could even call it perma-gore. When playing the old Dooms, there is a certain level of satisfaction when you look around after a big battle and see the corpses of your enemies strewn all over the battlefield. Makes you feel like a badass.

12 hours ago, doom_is_great said:

non-disappearing corpses and gore.

For sure. Computers 10 yeara from now are probably going to be able to handle that without compromise.

Otherwise, maybe it wouldn't be jarring if they LOD'd to lower-quality models? Could call it "decay".

2 hours ago, houston said:

For sure. Computers 10 yeara from now are probably going to be able to handle that without compromise.

Otherwise, maybe it wouldn't be jarring if they LOD'd to lower-quality models? Could call it "decay".

It might be a possibility since now Hugo say that they can put a lot more active AI at once on screen. Maybe they can keep corpses for a longer time on the battlefield. Would be awesome if they stay forever obviously. Also this video gives me hope on the possibility that they make this a feature in The Dark Ages.

If they bring back the skull keys, It'd be awesome if they introduce some new enemy/miniboss who's head is actually the skull key and you must defeat and behead it to acquire the key. It would go very well with the game's dark tone.

I would like the new demon destruction system to be more dynamic in terms of gameplay. For example, as shown in the trailer, where a mancubus’s arm is shot off, it was also possible to shoot in the leg and it would fall, but not die. In addition, more complex combat than doom eternal, for example, you throw a shield at a green projectile and it destroys all the limbs of the demon.

The hitscanners returned, they added good variety to the combat.

Interesting boss battles - the problem with bosses from doom 1 to doom eternal was that the game is built on gameplay against many enemies, the developers should make paired bosses or simply more aggressive ones.

A more interesting plot - again, the problem of new games in terms of plot is not that this is Warhammer (as many here write), but that there are no interesting interactions between characters, and also very few interesting cutscenes, probably in Doom the dark ages will solve this problem, because they write in many places that they are making a cinematic game.

Return of demons from doom 1 and 64: masterminds and mother demon. It would be cool, for example, to crush huge masterminds on atlan, and also, for example, a battle against the huge mother demon that summons titans

I might have mis-spoke with my earlier post. What I meant was, even if computers nowadays CAN'T ragdoll demon corpses onto the floor and keep them there forever (which I think is probably the case, even though the Half-Life franchise kind of does it), they should definitely keep it as an option just to future-proof their game. I mean, what else is the true purpose of a "Nightmare" graphical config profile?

Simple multiplayer. Dedicated matchmaking with deathmatch, free for all, maybe some other objective-based modes. But that's it! Keep it simple, if any!

Most of these will never happen, but im going all in here...

1.  More monster types:

• Present and past variants (like the different mancubus types)
  • Elemental variants (ice, fire, poison, ect)
  • Mini boss types (super imps, baron overseer, ect)
  • Boss's return as normal enemies in later levels
  • Difficulty drives the number of monsters and demon types you fight like in classic doom.  True classic difficulty!

2.  Larger levels with exploration and a reason to go back to them.  Something more metroidvania but definitely not open world. 

3.  Coop Horde mode:  This has been requested since Doom 2016.  Is id listening?  Great opportunity to play as other sentinels and/or uac soldiers here.

4.  Deathmatch:  Bring back classic deathmatch.  Even add monsters into the maps so they can be played like classic doom if the host wants.  Doom 2016 missed the mark in some ways, but the MP Maps were gorgeous and i would love to replay those again as well. 

5.  SnapMap 2.0:  This is a tall order but it would be awesome.

6.  Modding:  I would say this is pretty much semi confirmed.  Doom Eternal has some updates that suggest modding is coming. 

7.  Invasions:  Invade as a marauder, or demon.  I don't care, i want more dynamic game modes.

8.  Fuck it, give me battlemode too, i played that to death.  Or at the least, give us a way to play all the "nudoom" MP modes within one location.  That would bring a lot of people back into all the game types...harddrive space be dammed.

9.  Randomized demon enounters.  There is a mod for Eternal that randomizes the demon fights and i can't go back to vanilla because of it.

23 hours ago, Zemini said:

2.  Larger levels with exploration and a reason to go back to them.  Something more metroidvania but definitely not open world. 

The developers said in an interview that the exploration aspect of the levels will be even greater. By type, you do a certain action and return to the previous level, and it increases with the addition of new things. They also talked about some kind of “sandbox”, but without details, perhaps this place will be like in the game ultrakill, but at the same time it is plot-based

On 7/15/2024 at 8:35 PM, Zemini said:

Most of these will never happen, but im going all in here...

1.  More monster types:

• Present and past variants (like the different mancubus types)
  • Elemental variants (ice, fire, poison, ect)
  • Mini boss types (super imps, baron overseer, ect)
  • Boss's return as normal enemies in later levels
  • Difficulty drives the number of monsters and demon types you fight like in classic doom.  True classic difficulty!

3.  Coop Horde mode:  This has been requested since Doom 2016.  Is id listening?  Great opportunity to play as other sentinels and/or uac soldiers here.

4.  Deathmatch:  Bring back classic deathmatch.  Even add monsters into the maps so they can be played like classic doom if the host wants.  Doom 2016 missed the mark in some ways, but the MP Maps were gorgeous and i would love to replay those again as well. 

5.  SnapMap 2.0:  This is a tall order but it would be awesome.

6.  Modding:  I would say this is pretty much semi confirmed.  Doom Eternal has some updates that suggest modding is coming. 

7.  Invasions:  Invade as a marauder, or demon.  I don't care, i want more dynamic game modes.

8.  Fuck it, give me battlemode too, i played that to death.  Or at the least, give us a way to play all the "nudoom" MP modes within one location.  That would bring a lot of people back into all the game types...harddrive space be dammed.

9.  Randomized demon enounters.  There is a mod for Eternal that randomizes the demon fights and i can't go back to vanilla because of it.

Doom 1 had this end level screen were you can see a map of mars or hell with the locations you've completed and the next ones to complete. I'd like to see that in Dark Ages but as a playable space for when you move between levels. It could have secondary objectives that reward you with upgrades, cosmetic stuff like new armors or secret missions and challenges for very experienced players like master levels. 

Also I'd love to have a coop horde mode that is also customizable. Like Snapmap but more focused on creating your own survival arenas to share with other players.

No enemies that require some specific weapon mod to kill

I want to just shoot at it until it dies

8 hours ago, DogsRNice said:

No enemies that require some specific weapon mod to kill

I want to just shoot at it until it dies

I understand why they did that in Eternal but TAG 2 went too far with that feature. Dark Ages is a good opportunity for a change to a more slaughtery combat approach.

Posted (edited)

All evidence points to a more tactical approach to killing monsters.   There will be a mix of melee and ranged weapons to use on the more larger enemies.  It was mentioned by Hugo that the Armored baron is a example of the type of game play you might expect when fighting the demons.  If you desire a simple slaughter fest, you are in for a bad time.

4 hours ago, Zemini said:

All evidence points to a more tactical approach to killing monsters.   There will be a mix of melee and ranged weapons to use on the more larger enemies.  It was mentioned by Hugo that the Armored baron is a example of the type of game play you might expect when fighting the demons.  If you desire a simple slaughter fest, you are in for a bad time.

I'm very interested in the new melee combat. It seems we can parry now.