Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fruity lerlups

everyone is mean to Doomsday engine.

i wanna hug it and tell it its okay, one day youll have full boom support, people say your md models are ugly but i say theyre charming..

there there doomsday engine, youre a good port *pat pat*, you dont need to prove anything.

Is DE still going? It seems it hasn't had any activity since August 2021.

It's definitively a good engine for vanilla Heretic and Hexen with enhancements, as well as online multiplayer, for Doom I don't think it has any benefits over the other engines. There are a few features planned for the future such as voxels, but the developer says he doesn't have the time for it now. Still, there's a very cool project called Hexen ELV which is a 3D model pack that's being done by a professional artist that works for Blizzard.

I remember being 11 years old and DESPERATELY hanging on for the Wolfenstein For Doomsday mod to come out

7 hours ago, Gez said:

Is DE still going? It seems it hasn't had any activity since August 2021.

There is Hexen Mage Tower who still targets Doomsday exclusive. Usually 1.7.8 i believe, but they recently changed it.

Having said that, the underlying rendering retains much of the older works, aside from bias lighting and having a dedicated editor for it. In retrospect, you could get a lot of the same with a standalone J-Build from the early 2000s.

And if you want Boom, then there's Risen3D.

A shame though, because historically JDoom (or rather, J-Ports) used to be quite popular back in the day. The GZDoom of their era, as in it that actually used your graphics card for fancy effects.

Doomsday was my first Doom port I tried... It was back in 2004 or so. That was so cooool! The dynamic lights were great. I was soo happy.

I also tried Zdoom back then, but it felt like much worse than Doomsday. It felt like it offers nothing much.

But then Zdoom started grow much faster than Doomsday and suddenly it became more than a port. Doomsday didn't have a chance in competition.

I still test my vanilla wads in Doomsday just to make sure they work.

Doomsday hosted the first adaptation of Doom 64 to PC by the name of Doom 64 Absolution TC! Lineage from that adaptation still exists now in Brutal Doom 64.

Now does anyone know how to get Doom 64 Absolution TC running on the latest windows these days? https://www.doom2.net/doomdepot/abs-download.html

I am curious to go back to it!

13 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

Doomsday hosted the first adaptation of Doom 64 to PC by the name of Doom 64 Absolution TC! Lineage from that adaptation still exists now in Brutal Doom 64.

Now does anyone know how to get Doom 64 Absolution TC running on the latest windows these days? https://www.doom2.net/doomdepot/abs-download.html

Yeah, I made a thread years ago asking for help, but I had no luck.

I tried to support it in my QoL patches at first, but it constantly conflicted with things and caused too many headaches.

I stopped as it didn't seem supported or used anymore.

1 hour ago, Immorpher said:

Same goes for the only Doomsday TC i know of: Zoow: Alien Dimension. All files are archived but it just doesnt run well in W10. I did manage it to run, tho.

Zoow could easily be its own game.

4 minutes ago, Craneo said:

ok but what about Risen3D

Well? What about what?

5 hours ago, "JL" was too short said:

Genuinely curious, is this a complete jokepost or are there actually people who are "mean" to Doomsday

Right? How DARE someone say something bad about a bunch of binary code!?
All binary codes are created equal and deserve equal respect!!
We should start a political movement.

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Well? What about what?

Risen 3D, that one other Doom 3D sourceport
idk if it's weird but I am a bit fond (in a nostalgic way) of the old Sitter&Abbs models, specially those that looked like they came from the Quake 3 era

The last update to the Risen3D executable was in 2022, but the developers still make maps for it and are still active. I think it has both advantages and disadvantages compared to Doomsday, if the idea was to merge back into DE at some point it's definitively not happening anymore.

15 hours ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

I freakin' love Doomsday.  Still make maps for it, even.  I have a Heretic map ready for release that's made for Doomsday.

thabk you for being nice to doomsday engine remillia

17 hours ago, "JL" was too short said:

Genuinely curious, is this a complete jokepost or are there actually people who are "mean" to Doomsday

i feel bad for it and wanna give it a hug and pet it its trying its best i have autistic anthropormorphization

I don't know what problems people are having with Absolution but hopefully these silly things I learned during my own struggles will help: (it was all a while ago though so I hope I'm remembering this stuff correctly)

-It has to be in C:\Absolution, or whatever drive you're using instead of C. Point is, no subfolders.

-You have to copy the Doom 2 IWAD and put it in the .\bin\data folder.

-I'm pretty sure you can't get proper widescreen.

Posted (edited)

I tried Doomsday and Jdoom and I was using that for a long time because of the enhanced effects (the BFG blast hitting the wall)  I liked it for a while untill one day.. i hated it and brutal doom and just wen't purist.  This was before I actually played the game and it's episodes/levels MANY years ago (2008??)

I think it was when I heard E1M1 in soundblaster, I wanted everything to be original as possible.  I grew out of soundblaster and now I listen to music packs or general midi while playing.