Engine: DSDA Doom (v0.27.5+) //or anything that runs Boom maps really

Map(s): 9 (E1M1-E1M9)

PxqApNf.png

Screenshots

Spoiler

lzjS4DX.pngsvjQdVK.pnggUEMZC8.pngoluov1Z.png

Download Link: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/a-c/ceder1

Overview:

I wanted to try speedmapping and this episode is the result. Most of these took around 3-3 1/2 hours with a couple exceptions.*

The levels are fairly short and none too difficult but make for a fun half-hour to blast through in my unbiased** opinion.

*E1M9 was hastily thrown together in a couple hours (though I am pleased with it), E1M6 took closer to 4 hours as I'm not all too good with town levels.

**Probably biased

Edited by CrazedCleric : Updated download link

Its not easy to make a whole episode. Congrat.!

pretty good wad! e1m2 is kind of ugly because the wall texture used but it plays well so i cant really complain

if you make more episodes of this quality i will play them!

The first three maps were better than most of Perede, but that's about all I can say there. Map e1m2 specifically was a nadir with its incredibly obligatory switch hunting with absolutely nothing else to compensate.

Things take a dramatic upswing in quality by the Tyson map (e1M4) and from there, I have really zero complaints (there might be at least one weak map in the bunch but in this weather, nah) with my only real issue being a lack of time to play through any more of them. E1M9 is a fun and easy slaughter map for anyone who likes that!

On 7/7/2024 at 2:32 PM, TMMMS said:

e1m2 is kind of ugly because the wall texture used

5 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Map e1m2 specifically was a nadir with its incredibly obligatory switch hunting with absolutely nothing else to compensate

I get the sneaking suspicion that my attempt at making the dream pool in idtech 1 was a bit of a miss. I considered importing the tile textures from Heretic but the blues weren't agreeing with Doom's palette.

well afaic the problem with e1m2 is that you only use one texture for everything but the water

start was bit dull but after map 2 wad feels nice although difficulty seems very tame and in control even on UV secondly doom1 wads mostly offer threats from lava floors which is missing here, also missed lost souls,design and architect is great though but as i earlier said fights are simple and basic 

my 9 map demos amp 1,2 and 9 are second exit demos and rest are first attempt fdas

prboom cl9 uv and iddt used

1-2.zip

Was the MIDI for map 5 composed for this wad? There's a part with a groovy bass line and a pedal melody with a minor 7th that sounds like if Roger Waters and GY!BE collaborated.

10 hours ago, DoomGuy2077 said:

Was the MIDI for map 5 composed for this wad? There's a part with a groovy bass line and a pedal melody with a minor 7th that sounds like if Roger Waters and GY!BE collaborated.

No, I pulled it from map 13 of Requiem.

Play through the whole episode on UV and it was a pretty good Doom 1 episode where its in the difficulty between Doom 1 episode 2 & 3 which isn't a bad thing as I like that almost each map had its own theme :)

On 7/13/2024 at 5:38 AM, netcurse2000 said:

Map03. When I saw BFG at the end, I thought the cyberdemon would show up after all.

LOL Same on my end even though I didn't grab it, it probably would've been useful for E1M9 during a continuous playthrough ;)

After a short break, play through completely. Overall I liked the wad. Fights not very difficult. Most of secrets are in good locations, found most of them. Key for the blue secret area on E1M8 is hidden in a rather interesting way. Many maps have some shortage of ammo, but the last one has a surplus. The only map I didn't like very much E1M7 - it was dark and not very interesting, the brown imps constantly blended into environment. But overall it's a pretty good wad for Ultimate Doom.

Will there be continued?

Screenshot_Doom_20240817_144009.png

13 hours ago, netcurse2000 said:

Will there be continued?

Thanks for giving the wad a shake. I have plans and some work done for a sequel but it'll be in the oven for a while.