Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ryiron

[MBF21] You Only Get One Shot

Fun concept, here's a UV Max in 2:04.86:

yogos-204.zip

I'd like to point out that the cyberdemons are able to walk off the ledge on their own if you're lucky; you can see me take advantage of this in my demo (most notably on #13). Technically a pacifist run is possible, but I lack the patience to do that now.

Just now, Shepardus said:

I'd like to point out that the cyberdemons are able to walk off the ledge on their own if you're lucky

Yeah, I mentioned this in the the txt file. I couldn't think of a way to prevent it, but it does make pacifist possible (though maybe a bit tedious). Thanks for the demo. I like the nudge on #13.

3 minutes ago, ryiron said:

Yeah, I mentioned this in the the txt file. I couldn't think of a way to prevent it, but it does make pacifist possible (though maybe a bit tedious). Thanks for the demo. I like the nudge on #13.

Ah, I skipped over that notice in the txt. Perhaps you could lower the lava to prevent the cyberdemons from walking off themselves and use the OPTIONS lump to specify the Boom behavior of enemies getting pushed off ledges (comp_ledgeblock 0)? I kind of like it how it is, though.

Out of all the existing BFG two-shot tutorial/practice maps, this one is probably the best one for coming to an understanding on how to position yourself so that you're actually landing a majority of your tracers on the cyber. Simple feedback: big knockback -> your tracers hit -> kill // no knockback or minimal knockback -> you missed a lot of tracers -> no kill.

I would suggest making the play area a bit smaller, if you do any changes. Despite its current size, if a cyber teleports in and decides to fire immediately or near-immediately, a perfect shot on the cyber doesn't guarantee that it will make it into the kill area, most likely due to the variance in tracer damage or minor blockmap interference. It's likely impossible to eliminate this variance mattering without changing the setup to something else more restrictive, like a monster-blocked hallway.

Good map anyway. Have a 1:40 max from a few evenings ago - yogosm140.zip

Thanks Maribo, and cheers for the demo. I was trying to balance the size of the play area so that you didn't have to lure the cybers towards the edge, but still big enough to have some room to move without accidentally stepping back into the lava. I could probably make it ~32 units smaller or so. I haven't submitted to idgames yet.

Posted (edited)

I would also suggest adding the "Block players" flag to the edges of the play area to prevent accidental suicides. Cool level!

6 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

I would also suggest adding the "Block players" flag to the edges of the play area to prevent accidental suicides. Cool level!

As someone who fell off the towers in 15cc an embarrassing number of times (mostly trying to avoid getting blocked on the death animations) I feel this is a feature, not a bug :-)