Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fruity lerlups

any resources for midi sequencing in Cakewalk?

Posted (edited)

I want to get into midi composing, i'm already familar with a lot of music production I use ableton, but thats not a midi sequencer per say, i'd like to get into midi sequencing.

e.g. setting up general midi for it, instrument playback, etc.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Might be able to help. What do you need?

hmm how would i go about setting up a general midi setup for Cakewalk for the purpose of sequencing midis, it looks like they've got rid of TTS-1 in Cakewalk though i'm more than happy to use sforzando for playback, but its the general process from assigning each track to an instrument with delay/reverb settings and sequencing that will translate to GM format midi file. I'm currently reverse engineering some midi tracks though its difficult to know how the instruments are assigned to each table. Ofc its not going to make any sound without a playback device, i'm assuming i'd have to try and compose with a soundfont synthesizer, then assign to GM instruments and export afterwards, bit obtuse, it would be nicer if i could just have the midi-out to soundfont do playback while i compose. First i gotta get familar with Cakewalk though. 

Edit: stuff like Anvil and Sekaiju has the playback device already by default, which might help with workflow, but i'm so used to a DAW format after working with Ableton for years i'm thinking Cakewalk will speak my language!

Unfortunately there's not a lot of tutorials or resources online specifically for using Cakewalk for composing midis. The playback issue is a huge thing holding me back, i wish it had native support for soundfont playback.

edit: hmm locate it on the left hand side, really at this point all thats gonna be needed is for me to get a soundfont playback vst into Cakewalk and figure everything out with the piano roll and automation. Probably will take me a couple hours, i'm experienced with daws so this shouldn't be too hard.

image.png

Edited by fruity lerlups

1 hour ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Might be able to help. What do you need?

lol Lee i've been looking up ways to set up a midi playback device automatically so i dont have to mess around with routing my stuff to sforzando since it doesn't actually incorporate instrument identifiers into its midi (its basically just basic kontakt with soundfonts), looks like you had this problem a while back and where asking on the Cakewalk forums, did you find any solutions?

Its really frustrating they removed BOTH the MS Wavetable AND TTS-1 from the daw, its so frustrating. Like what made the daw attractive to me was its a daw for people who want to compose in GM, god so frustrating.
image.png.29b21629f27ee10a6a48ac7052ed2265.png

I'm afraid you've hit the same problem that I've run into. There is no easy way, unless you've got something like Roland's Virtual SC-88. I'm sorry, I wish I had more help for you.

12 hours ago, fruity lerlups said:

lol Lee i've been looking up ways to set up a midi playback device automatically so i dont have to mess around with routing my stuff to sforzando since it doesn't actually incorporate instrument identifiers into its midi (its basically just basic kontakt with soundfonts), looks like you had this problem a while back and where asking on the Cakewalk forums, did you find any solutions?

Its really frustrating they removed BOTH the MS Wavetable AND TTS-1 from the daw, its so frustrating. Like what made the daw attractive to me was its a daw for people who want to compose in GM, god so frustrating.
image.png.29b21629f27ee10a6a48ac7052ed2265.png

I have seen others while researching having this issue in the newer versions of Cakewalk. I don't use Cakewalk, so there might be a few issues there in regards of communication. Best I can say is, use VirtualMIDISynth (with a soundfont of choice) and follow the instructions here on their FAQ: https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth/faq#faq_cakewalk

Here is a link to the download for VirtualMIDISynth, if you don't have it:

https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth#download

Hopefully I helped. If not, bully me for my lack of knowledge for a BandLab product.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, YeOldeFellerNoob said:

I have seen others while researching having this issue in the newer versions of Cakewalk. I don't use Cakewalk, so there might be a few issues there in regards of communication. Best I can say is, use VirtualMIDISynth (with a soundfont of choice) and follow the instructions here on their FAQ: https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth/faq#faq_cakewalk

Here is a link to the download for VirtualMIDISynth, if you don't have it:

https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth#download

Hopefully I helped. If not, bully me for my lack of knowledge for a BandLab product.

hmm might look into this using this, gonna set it up on my comp

edit: its not a vst or dx device, i wonder if i can set it up as a midi out.
edit: unfortunately this cannot be set up as a virtual midi out in cakewalk.

Edited by fruity lerlups

Posted (edited)

For making MIDIs in Cakewalk, i use BassMidiVST which is basically VirtualMIDISynth but in VST plugin format. Still a plugin but you can export the midi from the project normally.

4 minutes ago, URROVA said:

For making MIDIs in Cakewalk, i use BassMidiVST which is basically VirtualMIDISynth but in VST plugin format. Still a plugin but you can export the midi from the project normally.

will it detect instrument id info from the tracks naturally like TTS-1 or VSTSynthFont?