Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elio_2.exe

Safety First! (A Doom II Limit-Removing Map)

Posted (edited)

I found this map in one of my folders, looking for inspiration to continue pressing forward. I definitely remember the layout and making the map, and even what I was doing exactly before and after this map, but I don't think I've shared it. Surprising, since this map is finished. Well, it only had UV thing placements, but I gave it a bit of a push and there's difficulty options now. Neat!

Name options included "All eyes on you", "Safety Railings", "Railings", "The floor is E7", "The floor is NUKAGE1", "Beyond the railings", "Inside the railings" (Okay, I made these last ones up on the spot). Not to take away from the fact that you are indeed in a waste facility and this is indeed your average doom afternoon/evening where you get to kill all heckspawn and the occasional Cyberdemon guarding the exit. 

Replaces MAP01 for DOOM2.WAD

railings.zip

Spoiler

image.png.ee8adf00dff146905281aad5445799f6.png

image.png.ec3020bb80de1c267944f9e92f4b16a4.png

image.png.8ffbcc9a6ce7e159bdaad34043435506.png

image.png.3d1b0d631e2de299f6441c2e69390b28.png

image.png.839932e36437c781742d148fbc1e7e7e.png

image.png.0dfb7d2c3c3f1c1a51b8adbb0de63440.png

image.png.eb2a40c9cea70cc2584a948e89c1e95c.png

Edited by elio_2.exe

Kinda fun.  Got lost a bit.  Very sprawling map that you have to play slow, but that's not a bad thing.  The map fits together nicely.  6/7 secrets.

FDA: noisy_railings.zip 

(I also triggered the ghosts bug first try.  must've been a rare fluke.)

That last screenshot looks like a nasty encounter... I shall have to proceed carefully.

i tried it 3 times but all 3 times player turns into ghost after very start...

maps looks fun though

Spoiler
On 7/16/2024 at 7:40 AM, SleepyVelvet said:

Kinda fun.  Got lost a bit.  Very sprawling map that you have to play slow, but that's not a bad thing.  The map fits together nicely.  6/7 secrets.

FDA: noisy_railings.zip 

(I also triggered the ghosts bug first try.  must've been a rare fluke.)

Thank you for playing. Unfortunately, it's not that rare. Just like how I thought actions have no consequences, I didn't think making light gradients with 4 pixels apart would trigger this effect, despite me triggering it myself. I completely forgot to mention that simply firing your pistol in the very start room (without moving at all) will trigger the ghost bug. :(

Spoiler
16 hours ago, Zesiir said:

That last screenshot looks like a nasty encounter... I shall have to proceed carefully.

Definitely one of the least tame encounters in the map. Doesn't help that the chaingunners can shoot at you without even entering the room.

Spoiler
11 hours ago, Zahid said:

i tried it 3 times but all 3 times player turns into ghost after very start...

maps looks fun though

My bad, that's actually my ghost. You're gonna have to turn into a ghost 30 times more to reach the amount of times I died to that cyberdemon :p

Jokes aside, unfortunately, this map should be played on a source port that gets rid of that bug. Almost 200 linedefs used for gradient lighting lay in front of the player when you boot the map up. 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, elio_2.exe said:
  Hide contents

Thank you for playing. Unfortunately, it's not that rare. Just like how I thought actions have no consequences, I didn't think making light gradients with 4 pixels apart would trigger this effect, despite me triggering it myself. I completely forgot to mention that simply firing your pistol in the very start room (without moving at all) will trigger the ghost bug. :(

Hide contents

Definitely one of the least tame encounters in the map. Doesn't help that the chaingunners can shoot at you without even entering the room.

Hide contents

My bad, that's actually my ghost. You're gonna have to turn into a ghost 30 times more to reach the amount of times I died to that cyberdemon :p

Jokes aside, unfortunately, this map should be played on a source port that gets rid of that bug. Almost 200 linedefs used for gradient lighting lay in front of the player when you boot the map up. 

You can eliminate this bug if you tag 999 these gradient sectors (or their linedefs, I don't remember) while using either ZokumBSP or VigilantBSP, afaik 

Just be aware that this trick only works with these node builders, so you may want to download them and install into "your-builder-folder/compilers/nodebuilders"

https://github.com/VigilantDoomer/vigilantbsp

https://doom2.net/zokum/zokumbsp/fetch

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Async Unicorn said:

You can eliminate this bug if you tag 999 these gradient sectors (or their linedefs, I don't remember) while using either ZokumBSP or VigilantBSP, afaik 

Just be aware that this trick only works with these node builders, so you may want to download them and install into "your-builder-folder/compilers/nodebuilders"

https://github.com/VigilantDoomer/vigilantbsp

https://doom2.net/zokum/zokumbsp/fetch

Here's a good idea: Change your name to lifesaver because holy, you saved me from switching to boom mapping xD Thank you so much! It worked like a charm!

Updated the file. The map successfully passed the complevel 2 test as well as the dreaded Crispy Doom test. There should be no problems now, hopefully!

It's a good map! Took a while to figure out to proceed carefully, just rushing in guns blazing will get you killed in no time.

Spoiler
20 hours ago, Zesiir said:

It's a good map! Took a while to figure out to proceed carefully, just rushing in guns blazing will get you killed in no time.

Thanks! Denying space and cover from a player is always a joy :D

Posted (edited)

I actually ran out of Shotgun shells, but then a magic Archvile appeared whom I managed to lure down into the corridor near the start where all the Shotgunners were, and had it resurrect them. More ammo!

Oh! Near where the Archvile appeared, a Medikit ends up floating in the air when a monster pops out of the crate.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20240716_200734.jpg.436f5ab8186782675b4eb1074d509f99.jpg

Spoiler
5 hours ago, Zesiir said:

I actually ran out of Shotgun shells, but then a magic Archvile appeared whom I managed to lure down into the corridor near the start where all the Shotgunners were, and had it resurrect them. More ammo!

Oh! Near where the Archvile appeared, a Medikit ends up floating in the air when a monster pops out of the crate.

Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20240716_200734.jpg.436f5ab8186782675b4eb1074d509f99.jpg

I didn't know the resurrection ability could backfire this much :( As for the medikit, I have no idea how it ended up there. But I pretty much gobble it down as soon as I see it.

Quite surprising that you held back on this for........I think this might be your longest map yet, and possibly the hardest too. That moment where the windows in the north open up to reveal the skybox was really cool!

Posted (edited)
Spoiler
On 7/18/2024 at 8:10 PM, LadyMistDragon said:

Quite surprising that you held back on this for........I think this might be your longest map yet, and possibly the hardest too. That moment where the windows in the north open up to reveal the skybox was really cool!

Thank you very much for playing! But I think Colder Shoulder is harder xD

Edited by elio_2.exe

Super fun map! Great job. Just the right difficulty with some well planned traps.

Spoiler
4 hours ago, DoomBerry said:

Super fun map! Great job. Just the right difficulty with some well planned traps.

Thank you! For a moment there I thought you were talking about another map of mine and I thought I'd met someone with the same skill ceiling as I xD (jk, or am I?)

Obviously not that map though 

Interesting fact on this map: The .WAD being called "railings" but the map being named "Safety First!" resulted in me unable to link this FDA to it's original thread.

I found two potential softlocks that need fixing:

• The Demons located in Sectors tagged 18 will not raise if you arrive from Sector tagged 2 (which you can easily do by going forward at the beginning).
  • You can fall behind the Red Key Switch (sector 369) by stepping on the side railings and hopping onto Sector 69. If you fall there, you're stuck forever.

Excellent map none the less!

Spoiler
20 hours ago, Oxyde said:

Interesting fact on this map: The .WAD being called "railings" but the map being named "Safety First!" resulted in me unable to link this FDA to it's original thread.

I found two potential softlocks that need fixing:

• The Demons located in Sectors tagged 18 will not raise if you arrive from Sector tagged 2 (which you can easily do by going forward at the beginning).
  • You can fall behind the Red Key Switch (sector 369) by stepping on the side railings and hopping onto Sector 69. If you fall there, you're stuck forever.

Excellent map none the less!

I guess you can tell I wasn't sure on naming this map xD. Thank you for playing!

I believe you can somehow maneuver past the demons in the sectors tagged 18, but I'll add a fix anyways.

As for the second softlock, I believe you're referring to falling down where the blue key is before opening the red bars? You can actually make it out, if you drop down in the nukage and take the teleporter. You can skip the red key area that way, at the cost of one blue armor, a berserk and a soulsphere secret.