Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AshtralFiend

Nostalgic Entropy: Neo Retro [MBF21] v1.1

after 15 years, we finally got it, the legendary dropbox link is waiting to be clicked

And what is this ? a magnificent palette ? tons of cool new textures ? The thrill of discovering the secret areas ? A huge map full of tiny details that give an unwavering sensation of activity and life ? a banger midi ? a very well executed and consistent neo-futuristic theme ? unfair chaingunner placements ? and exploding pain elementals ??? urk, i'd rather play Timmy's first ever map and listen to my favorite midi "running from evil", this masterpiece has no right to be shining in the catacombs of doomworld

So did I pick UV ?

yes.

Did I get my ass kicked ?

yes.

Did I give up and prematurely finish the map even with cheats ?

yes.

Will I do it again ?

yes.

rating 10000%

Thjs map is very good.  It's very fun to explore.  I had a great time with it, and now I can maybe use it's custom assets someday lol. 

Congrats on finally getting this out the door! An amazing map that kept me engaged for a long time, looking forward to revisiting it :)

Oh my, this looks like it is full of 80s goodness. I know what I'm playing tonight!

Can't go wrong with this one, folks! Playtesting it was fun, if a bit long and occasionally tricky due to my skill deficit and the map's sheer size - there's a lot to see, a lot to do, a lot to gawk at and just a lot to fight. It's very much the right dose of Doom for an afternoon or evening. :)

Posted (edited)

10/10 for the Shining carpet and the custom palette alone. Congrats on the release, man! Looking forward to losing myself in this later this evening.

This looks really good. I dont want to compare it Augur Zenith but it does have that type of flair to it.

A first playthrough with lots of cool moments. I died a lot, but the only part that felt frustrating was the room with the cacos, pain elementals and Hell Knights. I will definitely revisit this, but probably in a lower difficulty, to explore everything.

I hope to see this in the opening post by the end of the year:

Cacoward_logo.png

Posted (edited)

Well... I'm not at all a fan of nostalgic 80's revival (as in Stranger things, for instance)... but I must say this map is not bad.

And when I say not bad, I mean freaking awesome.

I'm still on my way through the map on HNTR, took also a peak on UV, it's very well implemented, HNTR is literally not too rough, the mall is insanely detailed, it's really like this movie by Spielberg, don't remember its name, but made well !

Spoiler

I'm far from having found all the secrets, not speaking of the secrets secrets, but I got PacMan and it was very cool !!!

Imagine you took my love of everything pop culture, combined it in a Petri dish and used that slurry of neon 80s capitalism to cultivated the perfect Doom map...

I knew all the teasers in the texture and screenshots threads were leading to something big! Right to the front of my to play backlog.

Posted (edited)

I just finished watching Manc's playthrough and I think it's a wonderful creation. The comparisons with stuff like Auger Zenith, Beyond Sunset, or more generally the vaporwave and cyberpunk aesthetics are self-evident so there's not much to add here.

What I find most compelling is the conceptual foundation of the wad and the kind of narrative it builds. Steve is correct to point out that it's anti-capitalist at its core, and it reminds me of the late great Mark Fisher's analysis of nostalgia, hauntology, and lost futures. The emphasis on retro vibes is, in a way, our need to have a space of possibility: imagining a future that was promised by capitalism but will never be delivered, while romanticizing about better (or at least simpler) times, and using that fantasy past as a creative ramp for overcoming the cynicism of the present. There's a bit of risk of getting lost in this a bit too much, but broadly speaking it's a healthy way of dreaming and I find that to be kind of beautiful. Of course in 2024, Doom is, ironically, part of that legacy and that dream space. The intermission text is in this respect very poignant, encapsulating the message: "The sun sets once again, you look back at the fading memories of a future that never was".

Beautiful work that is intellectually stimulating. I'd say that he only thing it needs is a custom status bar, but all in all it's fantastic.

Juicy af. Gonna check it!

Congratulations on the release, loving those textures from post your textures thread.

Spoiler

Are the platforms from the Claw of Doom secret aren't monster blocking? Imp/Revenants can fall off from the platforms where you have to use splash damage if they fall down there. (Linedefs 3623, 25898, 26133, 32667, 32764, 32774, 32912, 33047, 36222, 36308, & 36317)

A huge thanks for all the kind comments and feedback so far! I'm happy that this project resonates with the community.

On 8/1/2024 at 4:44 PM, DoomGappy said:
On 8/1/2024 at 4:44 PM, DoomGappy said:

I hope to see this in the opening post by the end of the year:

Cacoward_logo.png

It's an honor that you think this project deserves it :D

On 8/2/2024 at 1:25 PM, DreadWanderer said:
On 8/2/2024 at 1:25 PM, DreadWanderer said:

Beautiful work that is intellectually stimulating. I'd say that he only thing it needs is a custom status bar, but all in all it's fantastic.

Thank you! This map was indeed born from my love of the concept of "nostalgia" and "retro", something that I also try to present in my other artistic works.

I had several other names for it, such as "Undeveloped Futures". But I think in the end, the word entropy better fits the resulting amalgamation of "places" and "ideas" that it tries to convey.

That last suggestion may be in the works :P

15 hours ago, S3M_XM said:

Congratulations on the release, loving those textures from post your textures thread.

Reveal hidden contents

Are the platforms from the Claw of Doom secret aren't monster blocking? Imp/Revenants can fall off from the platforms where you have to use splash damage if they fall down there. (Linedefs 3623, 25898, 26133, 32667, 32764, 32774, 32912, 33047, 36222, 36308, & 36317)

Thank you! And thanks for the heads up! I'm gathering feedback for a possible version 1.1.

Played it on UV and I beat it once with the red key, I'll definitely play it again and beat it with the other key...certainly are areas and tons of monsters I missed.  I really enjoyed it, looks great.  It would be awesome to eventually see a follow up of some sort.

Crazy aesthetics, fun and creative gameplay, atmosphere is top notch, what a level!

Though, as a softlock connoisseur, I'd raise awareness with one I found; You can softlock yourself by going forward at the start, climb either staircase, and jump on the bush (sectors 3056/3058), falling in a corner will have you locked there.

I wouldn't be surprised if this one gets a certain statue of a golden monster by the end of the year!

This is the kind of thing that makes everything else look ridiculous

Posted (edited)

WOW! This Map is just awesome! Anyway, this is one of the best works this year! I think I should play all your works and write an article about them! In «VENOM VENDETTA» I was playing. Also a good job!

I don't know if the «Cacoward» map will get it, but it should be included in the list of worthy projects!

Personally I'm too much of a 90's / early 2000's kid myself to be able to be enamored by the 80's aesthethic. 

I do think it's charming, however.

This was the most fun I've had playing DOOM in awhile, I suspect this will be one of the more memorable wads of recent years. Amazing on all fronts.

Personally I think it could be rebalanced just a touch, I was constantly full on shotgun shells and almost always <40% health. 

The items behind the case at the gun store can be picked up by just running against the glass.

Pretty fun play through, eye popping and nostalgic fun,  definitely tough in spots, I have gotten 6 of 8 secrets and am looking for the other two.  Certainly worth an EOY nod...

Spoiler

Loved, the arcade secret and the cyber demon with the MS Paint thing.  Pretty sure one of the secrets is a teleporter to a secret area but not sure of the other one that I have not found.