Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Matthias

Hexen - The Community Pouch [vanilla community project] (slots taken for now)

I like the idea but I am not sure something as interconnected as a hexen wad will really work as a cp
I am happy someone is trying though.

On 8/2/2024 at 12:59 PM, Matthias said:

5) To limit-removing or not to limit-removing? Look, would be great if you could use only vanilla-compatible actions and never exceed 160 visplane limit, but I understand it might be difficult, especially if you are a hexen mapping newbie. So if some maps will exceed some limits, I could accept that. Just don't use any modern thingies - this is Vanilla! I repeat, this is Vanilla. :)

As far as I understand we don't have something like ChocoHexenLimits? I think, if possible, it wouldn't hurt to attach a link to some tutorial on vanilla hexen mapping, or just describe important differences between vanilla doom and vanilla hexen mapping. I think this could be a barrier for many people, since many people don't know how to work with it. And so, maybe even I would participate, if I have time in the near future (and you give some links to tutorials, because I haven't worked with this format before).

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DRON12261 said:

As far as I understand we don't have something like ChocoHexenLimits? I think, if possible, it wouldn't hurt to attach a link to some tutorial on vanilla hexen mapping, or just describe important differences between vanilla doom and vanilla hexen mapping. I think this could be a barrier for many people, since many people don't know how to work with it. And so, maybe even I would participate, if I have time in the near future (and you give some links to tutorials, because I haven't worked with this format before).

Well, from my personal experience, there are these differences:

1) The visplane limit was increased from 128 to 160.

2) There is no need to use ACS scripting in your map, but there should be inserted this at least:

#include "common.acs"

script 1 (void)
	{

}

Without it, it won't load in vanilla/chocolate.

3) the ACS code is a bit tricky, because Zdoom later added more commands and it's not much clear what are vanilla compatible and what not. And if you use non-vanilla code and you launch the map in Gzdoom for example, it will work, so you won't even suspect that it's not vanilla compatible, unless you try to run it in vanilla/Chocolate :)

Fortunately there is this document that can help: https://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/hosted/hexenspec09.txt

It's far easier nowdays, because UDB simply let you add almost everything manually.

4) The polyobjects are probably limited. It's not clear what is the limit, but if you do something simple like a rotating column, no issue. But I created a rotating semi-circle and it kinda broke the map :)))

Edited by Matthias

Posted (edited)

I would also add that using non-vanilla ACS is no big deal...

When I said I want it to be vanilla, I was rather refering to not to use Zdoom/UDMF things like 3D floors and such.

Using non-vanilla ACS probably make the wad non-functional in vanilla and Chocolate Hexen, but 99% of players will use Gzdoom anyway, so...

For example vanilla Hexen supports strings messages like "Greetings, Mortal. Are you ready to die?" but doesn't support break-lines, so if you use "Greetings, Mortal. /nAre you ready to die?", it won't work in Vanilla/Choco, but Gzdoom renders normally

Greetings, Mortal.

Are you ready to die?

Hello there! It sounds great because I like Heretic and Hexen, and vanilla stuff, but, well, I have many projects I take part in. I don't know, if I will participate here. But if there is no that much requirements and you can fix some key mistakes in maps - I guess I will make a map which will take about ~20 minutes to beat, I guess.

Well, I have some questions. You know, there are 4 weapons in Hexen, and only the first one is given at start. How many of them can I place in my map? Also, although I am familiar with ACS scripting, I don't know how to code in Hexen format. By the way, the only thing I will need is to display text like "a bridge has lowered" and whatever. Thus, I need some tutorials...

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, broy6481 said:

Hello there! It sounds great because I like Heretic and Hexen, and vanilla stuff, but, well, I have many projects I take part in. I don't know, if I will participate here. But if there is no that much requirements and you can fix some key mistakes in maps - I guess I will make a map which will take about ~20 minutes to beat, I guess.

Well, I have some questions. You know, there are 4 weapons in Hexen, and only the first one is given at start. How many of them can I place in my map? Also, although I am familiar with ACS scripting, I don't know how to code in Hexen format. By the way, the only thing I will need is to display text like "a bridge has lowered" and whatever. Thus, I need some tutorials...

ACS scripting is the same as for Zdoom, because basically Zdoom "stolen" the idea from Hexen.

Only added some more modern stuff, like I don't know... 3D Floors, change cameras and such... Soo the txt file what is possible in Hexen

https://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/hosted/hexenspec09.txt

Regarding to the weapons... personally I would give second weapon soon to the player, as the first weapon might be boring. Then later could be a third weapon in the same map. No matter which map the player visits first, he gets second weapon and then the third... However if you decided not to give the players the weapons, make sure the map is not annoying, because if the Cleric has only his first meelee weapon, then it's not a good idea to fight against a group of Affrits, right?

If you added parts of the last weapon, I won't be against that, but personally I think it would be great if the player got it in the last level before the final boss:)

1 minute ago, Matthias said:

ACS scripting is the same as for Zdoom, because basically Zdoom "stolen" the idea from Hexen.

Only added some more modern stuff, like I don't know... 3D Floors, change cameras and such... Soo the txt file what is possible in Hexen

https://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/hosted/hexenspec09.txt

Regarding to the weapons... personally I would give second weapon soon to the player, as the first weapon might be boring. Then later could be a third weapon. No matter which map the player visits first, he gets second weapond and then third... However if you decided not to give the players the weapons, make sure the map is not annoying, because if the Cleric has only his first meelee weapon, then it's not a good idea to fight against a group of Affrits, right?

If you add parts of the last weapon, I won't be against that, but personally would be great if the player get it in the last level before the final boss:)

Ok, If there is no deadline, I would like to take part in this project. Let's say, I will take the second slot. For now I don't have a name for a map.

1 minute ago, broy6481 said:

Ok, If there is no deadline, I would like to take part in this project. Let's say, I will take the second slot. For now I don't have a name for a map.

ok, assigned to you :)

Thanks for having balls to join :)

Well, I've started probing how it all works (never mapped to Hexen and hardly ever played it myself), but something is starting to feel right. Also through DOS and DESCRIPT decompiled all ACS scripts of the original Hexen, I think this will be a good example of vanilla scripts (thanks to them I figured out how to work with polyobject doors).

I don't promise that something full-fledged will come out of it, but little by little I'll try. I'm a bit interested in it. I'll be testing in Chocolate Hexen and hopefully Visplane Explorer in UDB won't let me down.

image.png

24 minutes ago, DRON12261 said:

Well, I've started probing how it all works (never mapped to Hexen and hardly ever played it myself), but something is starting to feel right. Also through DOS and DESCRIPT decompiled all ACS scripts of the original Hexen, I think this will be a good example of vanilla scripts (thanks to them I figured out how to work with polyobject doors).

I don't promise that something full-fledged will come out of it, but little by little I'll try. I'm a bit interested in it. I'll be testing in Chocolate Hexen and hopefully Visplane Explorer in UDB won't let me down.

wow! Looks nice

Do you want me to assign a slot to you?

2 minutes ago, Matthias said:

wow! Looks nice

Do you want me to assign a slot to you?

I think for now you can, but if I suddenly don't show signs of life for a long time, don't be afraid to cross me off and free up a slot.

1 minute ago, DRON12261 said:

I think for now you can, but if I suddenly don't show signs of life for a long time, don't be afraid to cross me off and free up a slot.

assigned then :)

On 8/2/2024 at 9:21 AM, Raith138 said:

I like the idea but I am not sure something as interconnected as a hexen wad will really work as a cp
I am happy someone is trying though.

XUMP was a lot of fun. I think the key to a Hexen CP is a simple HUB that allows the levels to be more self-contained. Like OP has mentioned--it has rarely been undertaken, but it can be done!

Posted (edited)

I can try making a boss :)
I am planning on using the axe key in my map.

Edited by Raith138

Sounds awesome!

I've never mapped for Hexen, but... I'd take any slot (except boss) if something goes wrong :)

7 hours ago, Moustachio said:

Seems neat! I’d like to take Slot 4: Yorick’s Skull.

assigned :)

7 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I hope I can grab slot 5 for the book.

assigned:)

6 hours ago, Raith138 said:

I can try making a boss :)
I am planning on using the axe key in my map.

also assigned

3 hours ago, Astar said:

Sounds awesome!

I've never mapped for Hexen, but... I'd take any slot (except boss) if something goes wrong :)

thank you very much :)

By the way, if there is such a need, I can write custom music for someone’s map!

1 hour ago, Astar said:

By the way, if there is such a need, I can write custom music for someone’s map!

really? You are a composer?

3 minutes ago, Matthias said:

really? You are a composer?

Yeah, pretty much :D

I'm not really a mapper but if possible I would be glad to make some tracks for the project! 
Nice project and goodluck!

Thanks for all the music.

Would be also great if someone creates a Titlepic because I suck at graphics:D

3 hours ago, Matthias said:

Would be also great if someone creates a Titlepic because I suck at graphics:D

I've never made a titlepic before, but here's an attempt

TitlePic_HexTCP.png.54c7f88a71dcf0a27f546017f1963ff3.png

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Darman Macray said:

I've never made a titlepic before, but here's an attempt

TitlePic_HexTCP.png.54c7f88a71dcf0a27f546017f1963ff3.png

Not bad, I like it...

However it would be cute to have there somewhere an actual "pouch" :D You know, the pouch thing is a little parody to "community chest" actually... :)

Also also, it's a hight res PNG... god knows how it will look like converted to a small tiny hexenish pallete... :/