Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtimZarr1

Classic Doom - New Update on Steam

I downloaded and played E1M1 on my Switch and only have one complaint: use is defaulted to the B button. 

As a primary Nintendo user, any use button should be A. 

But apart from that, it’s grrrrreeeeat

4 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

The GPL doesn't, but it's incompatible with consoles as a license as the SDKs are a necessary component, which are under NDA.

I suspect Microsoft could rustle up enough influence here to solve that problem.  But even if not, BSD/MIT shouldn't be a problem, and since Bethesda conveniently now owns its own Boom implementation, there's nothing stopping them from releasing it under any license they want.

20 minutes ago, Arbys550 said:

It's so easy to upload WADs, which I think is awesome, but kinda weird. 

Yeah I'm a little skeptical of this feature.  Great in theory, but Bethesda has a history of not implementing this well.  When they added a mod browser to Fallout, it filled up pretty quick with people just reuploading stuff from Nexus.  Duplicates and broken mods everywhere because it was mainly being done by people that didn't really understand the process and just wanted the attention for having a popular mod on their account.

The mod browser means there's finally a chance to get Bourgeois Deathmatch on the Bethesda port!!

Posted (edited)

Only minor issue I have noticed so far is that sky backdrops appear to start repeating too soon vertically, making the sky seam visible in many many many more windows.

Woof:

woof0000.png.f65a9761a5a02e9f5b1cc9a77c56360e.png

Nightdive Doom:

2280_355.jpg.f1fe2f4c54d977f6310eabdc9fdb6376.jpg

Edited by Trov

hmm so it looks like they compiled the master levels into an actual map rotation this time

7 minutes ago, Eevee said:

I suspect Microsoft could rustle up enough influence here to solve that problem.  But even if not, BSD/MIT shouldn't be a problem, and since Bethesda conveniently now owns its own Boom implementation, there's nothing stopping them from releasing it under any license they want.

Even Godot Engine, which is MIT-licensed, doesn't include console support due to the console SDK terms.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Eevee said:

The licenses aren't something written on a napkin you can throw away.

EFF has a long history of legal battles where they won against corporations that used free-as-in-speech code in their closed software products.

IMHO you are overreacting a little bit.

3 hours ago, Terrcraft said:

BETA LOST SOULS

Now that's interesting. I wonder if they were placeholders made for the trailer or an actual option in-game... I can't afford to see it, yet

I guess I'm just not too worried about the proprietary nature of the releases, like yeah it sucks to some degree for a game that was made very open, but they're still being very open otherwise, incorporating community standards with just a few other features like the status bar lump, which I think is fine. it makes it more likely that more engines are going to adopt it, with completely GPL friendly releases.

Maybe my optimism is a little misplaced, but it does seem like things went just fine for the Quake rerelease. The community status quo didn't actually change that much, the ports adopted the new features, and everyone seems happy. Doom's might change a bit if people want to start making for-ID24 releases, but I suppose we'll see.

Posted (edited)

It's like Doom Xmas day with this new re-re-re-release ! Kex engine fixes the weird framepacing inconsistencies of the Unity version on Windows and adds so much more. You can view kill and secret counts on the map display now.

Also, you really know it is 2024 when the doom.exe file size is close to doom.wad size.

Edited by bobbie424242

1 minute ago, GratefulName said:

Is this stealing?

It depends on what the Eviternity II team choose about the re-distribution on their wad.

But in both answers, I think Bethesda should make the upload process a bit more restricted.

legacy of rust files says the new tracks were made by xaser acheron? i didnt know he was a composer in addition to a mapper and modder!

1 hour ago, Trov said:

Finally, launch parameters such as -fast are selectable ingame.

The common community source ports should have cribbed this idea 15 years ago.

ZDoom has had this for a long time, and Nugget Doom recently added a "custom skill" menu.

1 minute ago, Arrowhead said:

I'm happy to have been a small part of the group responsible for the new deathmatch portion of this re-release!!

Hope you enjoy it, there's some good stuff in there!

Reveal hidden contents

My maps are:

MAP06 - Ziggurat

MAP16 - Wicked Warehouse

MAP25 -Heckbase Alpha

:D

Congratulations! I am happy for what you achieved :D

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, GratefulName said:

Is this stealing?

I saw Going Down in there too, I'm quite mixed on the idea of it.

While it is nice to see these on the Beth port, it does feel odd and morally iffy seeing these uploaded by a random person who didn't make it.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

ZDoom has had this for a long time, and Nugget Doom recently added a "custom skill" menu.

ZDoom's is buried in a pages long gameplay settings options menu, rather than placed where it should be (accessible from the difficulty select screen)

Posted (edited)

Holy shit, there was so much unused stuff. Romero was really holding up.

Are there any new unreleased maps present in the id Vault?

Would be nice if Modern Coop was actually explained in any capacity. OG coop was always trash. Through trial and error, modern coop seems to also be bad, but for different reasons. I'd rather not have to restart a 30+ minute level because we were all killed instantly by a revenant horde or something before we can even react to it thanks to the respawn limits and forcibly restarting the level if everyone's dead. Given the nature of how the player already can not take a hit and supplies go dry comically easily, this is not fun.

Posted (edited)

For all the modern options in this game it's weird how the automap actually seems very primitive, it seems to run at a lower framerate than the rest of the game and the lines are too thick.

edit: okay you can reduce the line thickness (but it still runs choppy and doesn't auto update when it's open)

1 minute ago, SteelPH said:

Would be nice if Modern Coop was actually explained in any capacity. OG coop was always trash. Through trial and error, modern coop seems to also be bad, but for different reasons. I'd rather not have to restart a 30+ minute level because we were all killed instantly by a revenant horde or something before we can even react to it thanks to the respawn limits and forcibly restarting the level if everyone's dead. Given the nature of how the player already can not take a hit and supplies go dry comically easily, this is not fun.

Did you find out if respawn limits are the only thing added in modern co-op? I actually like the idea tbh but I guess it depends on how it's executed, as long as it's an option anyways.