Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtimZarr1

Classic Doom - New Update on Steam

Posted (edited)

Seeing online play being added in is perfect news, having only local split-screen was pretty limiting so to see you can now play some deathmatch online with up to 16 players is good! And there's new deathmatch maps to go alongside that it's a perfect time to get playing online to shoot your friends (or enemies). Really this update is just great, this re-release has came a long way and it's great to see new official Doom content after so long. I'm looking forward to playing Legacy of Rust just from the gameplay and all the screenshots being shown.

Edited by Erick

This was an unexpected surprise. After a quick run of E1M1 on the Switch, two things I would love to see in the future:

* A rewind feature or keybind, similar to the one from DSDA-Doom? Not sure how well it'll cope on the Switch though.

* An infinite ammo cheat or difficulty modifier? I often like to play around with infinite ammo settings.

Posted (edited)

I woke up after a nightmare, and what I got was instead a huge, good news.

Godspeed Kaiser, Nightdive, and everyone else involved here! Here's to PSX DOOM colored ligthing goodness as well, even though this is already a huge one.

33 minutes ago, DevilMyEyes said:

Finally I see a custom intermission map in Doom 2, this is what people want to see! It's so cool to see this back.

55114961_DOOMDOOMII-VersionDate_Aug62024(Vulkan)08_08_202422_16_53.png.a2289e53137fc5982ad49397c28359f4.png

how did you get that? i tried playing id1.wad in gzdoom and all i got was a sigil-like static background

Posted (edited)

Eviternity II kinda works for me but I get massive frame rate drops in the 2nd level.

I'm quite liking the port, the max screensize HUD is pretty nicely done.

Does this have free look? You can pick between Software, D3D and Vulkan for rendering, and software is marked as "warp" which implies freelook to me, but can't see a way to enable it.

I feel like i'll probably stick with Nugget Doom for now as I really like the option to centre weapon on fire and I don't think that's an option here, and loading custom WADs is a bit awkward if they're not uploaded ones.

1 minute ago, TMMMS said:

how did you get that? i tried playing id1.wad in gzdoom and all i got was a sigil-like static background

Maybe this "id24 compatible port" makes the intermission screen appears?

Oh no! There's no "hold to strafe" bind. Goodbye SR50.

15 minutes ago, TMMMS said:

legacy of rust files says the new tracks were made by xaser acheron? i didnt know he was a composer in addition to a mapper and modder!

Try The Adventures of Square and BTSX 2 for some of his tracks. Also PRCP MAP15.

4 minutes ago, TMMMS said:

Guess they didn't use the ZDoom way of defining intermission screens.

It seems like a lot of the new id24 stuff is new json files. In id1.wad I spy a SBARDEF file, a SKYDEFS for driving the new animated skies, an intermission map scripting thing (XINTER1 and XINTER2), and some new keys in UMAPINFO. Not sure about any Dehacked level changes, but if they can be played in GZDoom and DSDA already I imagine there's nothing significant

Is there a way to bind turning left/right? I see there's a DEFAULT.CFG that binds actions to numbers that correspond to keys, but I'm not sure how to navigate that. Would be nice to have the option at least for keyboard users.

Just now, Gez said:

Try The Adventures of Square and BTSX 2 for some of his tracks. Also PRCP MAP15.

Guess they didn't use the ZDoom way of defining intermission screens.

its weird that zdoom would be required today for a feature that was present in doom 1 back in 1993

its also a shame that they could not get andrew hulshult to remake tnt as well

oh well still a fantastic package!!!

Posted (edited)

Will the contents of the id Vault ever get released seperately, for free?

And just when I reinstalled my GOG copies of DOSBox Doom... Nice.

NightDive as always making everyone's deathmatching better with remasters!

I'm gonna take a look if this update has released on Galaxy, hold on.

Posted (edited)

Is there any differences between each of the IWADs in the new update compared to the older releases?

EDIT: They are the same as the Unity port from 2019 with some of the same map oddities still present, like the shotgunner trapped in the wall in Underhalls.

Edited by Wadmodder Shalton

So far, so good. The port is clearly superior to the original Unity port, and these new episodes are lovely, a perfect compliment to No Rest for the Living. That being said, I've got a little bit of a concern.

Since these beta assets are officially a part of the game, would it change any stance of using them in pwads? 

I just got home from work... Fuck yeah! Everything that was wrong with the Unity port previously is finally fixed... This might be in my top 3 favorite source ports!

29 minutes ago, LuciferSam86 said:

I expect this Upload function to be removed in a few hours...

(and that's why we can't have nice things) :P

Those who are uploading WADs that they don't own, are certainly violating Zenimax's code of conduct.

So I guess if you own either Doom OR Doom II but not both on GOG, you still have to pay for the whole package.

Imma still buy it though, mostly for the new episode. 

7 minutes ago, Midway64 said:

And just when I reinstalled my GOG copies of DOSBox Doom... Nice.

NightDive as always making everyone's deathmatching better with remasters!

I'm gonna take a look if this update has released on Galaxy, hold on.

Update: Yes it IS on GOG. WOO!

And you'll get it for free if you already owned the previous Unity remaster (or the previous previous original DOSBox release).

Just played the firs map-and-a-bit of the Legacy of Rust PWAD - I have a love/hate relationship with the new(old) lost souls. Their fireballs are a bit nippy! 

I say, it's quite interesting how they based the Calamity Blade's gun graphics on the BFG but backwards. Kinda clever.

Someone already uploaded The Imp Encounter.

Also the local splitscreen was fixed.

Posted (edited)

The DOOM Delta guy is gonna have a field day with all the shit in the ID vault lol.

5 minutes ago, Skullzrawk9 said:

So I guess if you own either Doom OR Doom II but not both on GOG, you still have to pay for the whole package.

Imma still buy it though, mostly for the new episode. 

Well, maybe try contacting support?

I haven't gotten the update yet too, so maybe there was an oversight.

I have the Xbox version of the game so I'll try with that.

35 minutes ago, SteelPH said:

Would be nice if Modern Coop was actually explained in any capacity

Players can respawn only on other team mates who aren't visible to enemies (this happens automatically), all inventory is kept on respawn.

Posted (edited)

I kind of wish the beta souls had a hitscan attack since they were supposed to be psychic during development iirc, but it's still really cool for Legacy of Rust to use some material from the alpha/beta. According to the id Vault, the Incinerator weapon is based on a combination of the unknown weapon sprite and the lower half of the extended Plasma Rifle. Speaking of the Vault, it's nice to see unseen documentation but I also wish they had a compilation of every weapon and enemy (like in the Quake 2 remaster) - could even bring back the original manual descriptions for each entry.

I downloaded some wads from the browser on PS5 and all work fine except My House. Crashed the game. 

1 minute ago, Eurisko said:

I downloaded some wads from the browser on PS5 and all work fine except My House. Crashed the game. 

thats because the port doesnt support gzdoom stuff