Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtimZarr1

Classic Doom - New Update on Steam

note that doom 1 unity is accessible in the betas tab in steam for the 1 person that wanted the old port lol

Sucks that the mod browser isn't on Switch, since that's what I mainly use the Beth port for. If I was still an Xbox player, I'd be super excited rn.

Good for Xbox and PS players though, always love to see console mods.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, LuciferSam86 said:

What's Osiris?

An ancient Egyptian deity.

Usually GOG installers are named "setup_name-of-game", so that's why I found it odd that it wasn't named setup_doom+doomII or something like that.

3 minutes ago, Terrcraft said:

note that doom 1 unity is accessible in the betas tab in steam for the 1 person that wanted the old port lol

On GOG you should still have the "enhanced" versions available, too.

3 minutes ago, LuciferSam86 said:

What's Osiris?

Ancient Egyptian god of the underworld. Not sure how related to Doom it is.

Posted (edited)

I just tested Legacy of Rust E1M1 and the first bit of E1M2 on Woof! with the OG DOOM2.wad. Seems to work perfectly fine so far, except for the custom intermission screen which just shows a more typical Doom 2 styled one instead.

(That portal transition was actually peak tho)

EDIT: Also Beta Lost Souls are not hitscan this time, thank god lol.

Edited by Scorcher

5 minutes ago, Gez said:

Amusingly enough, GOG's offline installer for this is named "setup_osiris_2.0"... Kinda odd.

Possible Alien Breed 3D/Project Osiris crossover!? (I know it's a joke, but still.)

Also, how many Egyptian deities are left before Nightdive runs out of engine version names?

Posted (edited)

Soundtrack in the trailer sounded great, hope it gets uploaded to Spotify.

On the Doom X account it states "community-published single-player mod support (with in-game mod browser)" so could we potentially see a PlayStation Doom/Final Doom mod at some point?

Edit: Soundtrack up at https://open.spotify.com/album/2YqpDPPwqaKCoSBe36hVAe?si=jBN6q1bIQwm_T6dzeih77g

Edited by francis247uk

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

Also, how many Egyptian deities are left before Nightdive runs out of engine version names?

Assuming they give a new name for a new game, and not for each commit, then they should have enough for a good while, I think.

5 minutes ago, LuciferSam86 said:

What's Osiris?

1 minute ago, Gez said:

An ancient Egyptian deity.

Usually GOG installers are named "setup_name-of-game", so that's why I found it odd that it wasn't named setup_doom+doomII or something like that.

On GOG you should still have the "enhanced" versions available, too.

KEX Engine usually has some sort of codename per version, which can be seen throughout the remasters that have been released.

Not to mention the game executable itself is name osiris2_*platform*.exe

I think we can assume this one's codename is Osiris 2.

1 hour ago, GratefulName said:

Is this stealing?

They get permission from the authors last I checked, so no.

This looks like a pretty impressive update. The idea of merging Doom and Doom II together, given their inherently identical engines, makes a lot of sense and streamlines things nicely. Congratulations to all involved.

14 minutes ago, LuciferSam86 said:

What's Osiris?

A Doom II wad containing eight levels, created by Marshal Bostwick and Glen Payne in 1996.

Just now, Murdoch said:

They get permission from the authors last I checked, so no.

This looks like a pretty impressive update. The idea of merging Doom and Doom II together, given their inherently identical engines, makes a lot of sense and streamlines things nicely. Congratulations to all involved.

Those are user-uploaded mods. You can upload your custom levels.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

I'm all for this, I'd hate to see random people upload other creator's work and then take the credit they don't deserve, not to mention the potential of shovelware-quality WADs that could be pushed out.

It seems like a really weird decision, given how cautious they were with that kind of stuff beforehand.

I just to be able need to load my own PWADs on my end, and see a curated list from THE MEGACORP (because they've been doing a legit good job of it) - I sure as heck don't need to wade through whatever snapPUSSY69420 and six million other dipshits have uploaded to the server.

49 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

Has the Switch version of the new Doom port reach other countries besides the US yet?

On the Japanese e-shop, it's up as a separate, free download (not an update to the existing version) for users with the Unity port (1400 yen elsewise).

There should be some kind of verification system so random people can't just upload Eviternity 2. This is a cool system and I appreciate it but it's gonna be rife with theft and trolling.

Posted (edited)

And hello FREEDOOM running on NDDOOM.

20240808181055_1.jpg.13c55202d361a317fc5d5ffd19368ccd.jpg

Load order is fairly simple when swapping out iWADs.

Select the base game, open console, type in d_iwad filename.wad and start the game.

This is due to how NDDOOM loads iwads. When you select a game it loads once for title, demos, etc. Starting a new game loads again from the cvar iwad.

There should also some more filter options where you can search for wads by name and search by uploader.

2 hours ago, Eevee said:

Doom was under an open source license, which makes it an open source project.

And this is true of any open source project.  The original authors always retain the right to do whatever they want with their own work (assuming they don't transfer their copyright to someone else).

The GPL also does not prohibit commercial use.

The features absolutely could have been copy/pasted from other ports.  Bethesda would simply have to release their resulting source code in accordance with the GPL.

You seem to be desperate to make something negative out of a release that almost everyone seems quite positive about.

Posted (edited)

Anyone else think the mouse feels very floaty and kinda shitty? 

Also the lobby/server browser is not great. You have to go into each game individually and only can you browse the online games of _that_ particular game. There should be a lobby/server browser on the game menu and it just say what game it is in the server info. Also you can't sort the lobby/server games by ping or name or type etc. 

Been trying to tell people to still stick to DSDA-Doom or even *shudder* GZDoom but the appeal of play time stats, trohpys/achievements etc are too good for some people. Ease of use as well no doubt I guess.

Would definitely like to play Legacy of Rust outside of this port.

So how is one supposed to unlock the Chainsaw achievement? Seems to be bugged, since no chainsaw kills seem to be counted at all on my end.

Also, the "finish a monster-filled level without taking damage" is bugged as well lol. Just triggered it by accident by loading a save right next to the exit, even though I had taken a ton of damage.

5 minutes ago, LuciferSam86 said:

Those are user-uploaded mods. You can upload your custom levels.

Right. Well certainly anyone uploading WADs without permission from the original authors is crossing a line. I assumed Eviternity had been made an official addon.

29 minutes ago, RulesMcGee said:

It's called id1.wad. You can find it in the "rerelease" folder of your ultimate doom folder.

are the id1-res or id1-weap wads needed / relevant?

If I own Doom 1 and 2 on the Switch already, do I get the new rerelease for free like on Steam?

I ask as I can't check right now

I would love to see a feature where you fan have Doom 2 monsters in the Ultimate Doom levels.

3 minutes ago, Wavy said:

If I own Doom 1 and 2 on the Switch already, do I get the new rerelease for free like on Steam?

I ask as I can't check right now

It was a separate download for me, but free (I'm in Japan but I presume it just works the same way across Nintendo's whole ecosystem).

4 minutes ago, Dagazur said:

Also the lobby/server browser is not great. You have to go into each game individually and only can you browse the online games of _that_ particular game. There should be a lobby/server browser on the game menu and it just say what game it is in the server info. Also you can't sort the lobby/server games by ping or name or type etc.

It seems to me like the kind of thing that you'd add at the very beginning, but I ain't gonna roast 'em over it because I'm not the one juggling a project of this magnitude. They got around to it pretty quick for the Quake 2 remaster, from what I recall.

Until then, start your own server to avoid the 16 rando Dead Simple merry-go-round?