Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtimZarr1

Doom Eternal Mod Support Added

Posted (edited)

Man, this is huge. I'm excited to see how the modders take advantage of id handing them the keys to their tools.

Oh man, this will make me replay a lot of Doom Eternal at the moment, this Quakecon updates are so hype!

Always nice to see modern games like this get modding support. When Serious Sam 4 was released and got modding support, I remember wishing the same for DOOM Eternal. And now here we are!

can't wait until someone makes eternal nuts.wad and it's used as a PC benchmark for decades to come

I can't seem to find the info on what this editor is actually capable of doing, and I'm on vacation so I can't try it myself 

If it's anything like the idStudio for Rage, it's the tool they used to make levels, probably other uses that I'm not thinking of. I think it's a public release of their internal tools.

Nice, what are limitations of the custom content?

Are these custom maps inside the Campaign maps (like before mod support) or is it possible to make completely new ones?

4 minutes ago, Metal_Slayer said:

Nice, what are limitations of the custom content?

Are these custom maps inside the Campaign maps (like before mod support) or is it possible to make completely new ones?

Custom maps, including new meshes, textures and audio are doable. Entity decl mods are possible(so some level of custom monsters, and custom weapons of sorts). Brand new weapon logic and brand new AI logic not too sure since it didnt come with source code.

There is a bug were the new mod window comes up each_and_every time you reopen the editor if you go into your mods folder, just find the folder name of your mod and set this on the command line +mod_editThis doom-mod-7953129 (put mod folder name here) fixes stupid mod window bug

Posted (edited)

I dove into it and poked around for maybe an hour or so yesterday. It's got proper world creation tools, both for classic brush creation and modelling. There's also texture painting tools that I haven't really looked at yet. As far as modding, there's animation tools, audio tools, expansive AI crafting tools, also I'm pretty sure there's a cinematic scene creation tool suite... and I really don't think I've seen everything yet. Not to mention you can also import your own content, obviously. So you don't even need to rely on the id Studio tools if some external software suits you better for a particular task.

Man, id really dropped the goods on us this time. Time for me to upgrade my RAM and maybe grab another SSD.

1 hour ago, Caffeine Freak said:

I dove into it and poked around for maybe an hour or so yesterday. It's got proper world creation tools, both for classic brush creation and modelling. There's also texture painting tools that I haven't really looked at yet. As far as modding, there's animation tools, audio tools, expansive AI crafting tools, also I'm pretty sure there's a cinematic scene creation tool suite... and I really don't think I've seen everything yet. Not to mention you can also import your own content, obviously. So you don't even need to rely on the id Studio tools if some external software suits you better for a particular task.

Man, id really dropped the goods on us this time. Time for me to upgrade my RAM and maybe grab another SSD.

You can import FBX files, but they get converted to MD6. 

Most excellent. I only have two hours of lifetime experience in DoomBuilder1, but I want to become the Huy Pham of Doom Eternal mapping. 

Simple tutorial on how to make a outdoor scene(learn how to place static meshes, some lights, some monsters, navmesh).

Posted (edited)

@icecoldduke You're doing everyone a favor with all these idStudio tutorial videos. Looking forward to what others can make out of them!

And here's the second custom DOOM Eternal map.

Edited by taufan99

6 hours ago, Coopersville said:

Most excellent. I only have two hours of lifetime experience in DoomBuilder1, but I want to become the Huy Pham of Doom Eternal mapping. 

I don't think Doom Eternal is going to be even close to Doom II in terms of mapping. Rage had it's own modding support, which nobody remembers and SnapMap was slightly more successful, but still niche. 

Besides, if you look at the core fanbase that played Doom Eternal mods before mod support they all just want to lock themselves in a room with 5 buffed marauders, they don't care about level design.

Most of the users of Doomworld never even open the Doom Eternal subforum either.

But anyways, I found a Youtube channel that's supposedly Id Software uploading tutorials on idStudio. https://youtube.com/@idsoftware?si=JZfn1srcovLBsLgj

12 hours ago, icecoldduke said:

You can import FBX files, but they get converted to MD6. 

For the sake of curiosity, what did you import?

Tutorial on the blueprint system in idStudio called Logic Designer(were going to make lights fade in and out).

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Metal_Slayer said:

The tutorial videos on id's youtube are just "how to duplicate a mesh" kind of a thing, those are really good if you haven't used Radiant before.

7 hours ago, Metal_Slayer said:

I don't think Doom Eternal is going to be even close to Doom II in terms of mapping. Rage had it's own modding support, which nobody remembers and SnapMap was slightly more successful, but still niche. 

Besides, if you look at the core fanbase that played Doom Eternal mods before mod support they all just want to lock themselves in a room with 5 buffed marauders, they don't care about level design.

Most of the users of Doomworld never even open the Doom Eternal subforum either.

I have mixed feelings on this.

On one side, I agree that in many terms, DOOM Eternal mapping will, indeed, never surpass Classic Doom's. Need I even explain why exactly? *cries in entry-level "gaming" laptop*

On the other hand, I'd argue RAGE is a different story (to not call it a lost cause) because apparently long-time DOOM/Quake fans couldn't find themselves getting fascinated with it (maybe it felt too much like "Borderlands-meet-Fallout", which just doesn't feel original enough for an id title). Apart from that, DOOM Eternal's id Studio does let players import custom textures and models, which puts it above SnapMap to a large extent.

Sure, early modding efforts for DOOM Eternal tended to be rather lackluster in term of in-depth everything, but who knows what kind of novel forms of creativity we'll get with the release of id Studio we've received, what with two having been released so far (well, one of them is more of a basic tech demo-esque map, but still). Hopefully they consider releasing id Studio outside of both Steam and Microsoft Store.

3 hours ago, taufan99 said:

I would agree largely with this. Nothing in the foreseeable future will match the popularity of classicdoom, this isnt because eternal is any more popular then classic doom, its because the classicdoom tool chain is really easy to do stuff with. Were as idStudio(I've worked with idStudio professionally) it takes professional artists months to master the toolchain, and if you go into idStudio for tech7 thinking "oh this is like UE5" you will be disappointed.

Now I think there is a very strong and dedicated community dedicated to eternal modding so I think we'll see some cool stuff. 

Posted (edited)

I spoke with Jerry Keehan (id's Mission Design Director) yesterday, and asked him if we would be able to access Eternal's game maps with id Studio. He confirmed that we would. He wasn't entirely sure of the details since that entails them releasing resource/asset packs for each map file, and that requires unavoidably massive releases for each individual map. He seemed unsure of the exact logisitcs, but said they will probably be packing up each map as a separate release package.

Personally, I'm super psyched, since examining dev maps is how I REALLY learn to do things in a game.😁

EDIT: Looks like all the asset packs for the main campaign as well as the 3 Horde Mode maps are already available---on the launcher menu, go to 'Creations' and click 'Asset Packs'. They're all listed there.

Edited by Caffeine Freak

I think RAGE's core gameplay is very similar to Doom, health doesn't regenerate and the player can carry the entire arsenal, map design is the main difference. Even if you look at the earlier example, Doom 3, there are like 10 relevant mods. Modders have already figured out how to import assets into SnapMap too, the reason they haven't been using it too much is because it locks console users of playing it, which would cut out the already small playerbase in half. 

I think one of the main differences Doom Eternal has from the older games is the linearity, I thought that could be fixed with custom mapping tools, but due to the fact the game only runs in high end devices means those colossal maps you see for Doom II aren't really possible. Of course it's still too early to tell, eventually DE will run in budget-friendly computers, just like Doom in the early 2000s or Doom 3 in the early 2010s.

16 hours ago, Metal_Slayer said:

I don't think Doom Eternal is going to be even close to Doom II in terms of mapping.

No game ever will, but my influence and reach can bring a new epoch in modding.